PDA

View Full Version : My game has deteriorated since............

dooziexx
11-03-2004, 08:45 AM
Need all of your input here..Just recently joined an APA league about 5 weeks ago. Our league plays on bar boxes and now my game on 9 footers suffers. Before APA, I strictly play on 9 footers exclusively. I know that many of you swap between APA and BCA leagues, bar boxes and 9 footers.. How do you keep yourselves sharp by the constant change?

Jude_Rosenstock
11-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Ok, what I'm about to say is serious so don't laugh.

The next time you play on a barbox table, remind yourself that it's a complete joke and a bastardized version of the real game. Of course, you must try to win because, as a real poolplayer, you are surely capable of playing on such inferior equipment but you can't wait to get back to the poolroom where the real players are.

Yep, that's about what I think when I'm playing on a barbox and haven't suffered from barbox syndrome since.

Jude!

Wally_in_Cincy
11-03-2004, 09:12 AM
all I can tell you is it ain't easy. I do ok if I can play on a 9' at least once a week. Any less than that and my 9' game really suffers.

My home table is 8' so that helps some.

9 Ball Girl
11-03-2004, 09:24 AM
When I was playing on barbox leagues, that would be the only time that I would play on a barbox. Every other time it was and always will be on 9 footers.

Fred Agnir
11-03-2004, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dooziexx:</font><hr> Need all of your input here..Just recently joined an APA league about 5 weeks ago. Our league plays on bar boxes and now my game on 9 footers suffers. Before APA, I strictly play on 9 footers exclusively. I know that many of you swap between APA and BCA leagues, bar boxes and 9 footers.. How do you keep yourselves sharp by the constant change? <hr /></blockquote>

I think the first thing is that you do have to realize that they're two different animals, each with a different "focus." The focus on bar table play is tight congested position play, angles, and patterns. One rail position play comes up more often on the smaller tables.

The focus on 9' play is normally shot making execution. Multi-rail position play and line positioning are more pronounced on the bigger, more wide open tables.

Knowing that, you still have to go through a period of adjustment, just like you would if you were playing on slower or faster equipment, higher humidity, or whatever.

And, as more and more people are exposed to bar table pool, more good bar table equipment pops up that shows how "real" bar pool can be. Too bad the majority of Friday night players never get to see it.

In one of the leagues I play, a couple of the bars have better bar table equipment than the nearby pool halls' 9' equipment.

Fred

Sid_Vicious
11-03-2004, 10:00 AM
I haven't done more than "bar-pool-it" on 7'ers in years, except for SPetty's seven. I steer totally away from anything other than 8s and 9's for competitive(leagues) events,,,and no, I'm not going to Vegas/Reno for nationals, not my cup of tea. We might as well bring in a bumper pool table in and start a league outta those, then maybe play some 7-ball, then maybe graduate to the 6'ers, then the sevens...naaa, I play on the big tables ans basically shun the boxes. I played myself out on those as a kid, I'm grown up now...sid

11-03-2004, 02:20 PM

SPetty
11-03-2004, 02:31 PM
This IP address is out of Atlanta... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

woody_968
11-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Wow SPetty, you sure replied fast on that one /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SPetty
11-03-2004, 04:14 PM
hahaha - I just happened to be there at the wrong time! And since rah makes sure to point out that the IP addresses are there for all to see (even though I had totally ignored them before), I thought I'd take a look and see if there was any chance this was Fast Larry returning. It looks like there is a chance... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Barbara
11-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Oh yeah, it's him. I just got a pm from FLLL.

Can you spell L-O-S-E-R??

Barbara

dmgwalsh
11-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Erik- What you need to do is play a little straight pool this sunday at the Illinois Billiard Club on the 9 footers. Or if you really want to fix your problem, we could play on the 5 by 10 table. Let me know. Dennis

Rich R.
11-04-2004, 04:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Oh yeah, it's him. I just got a pm from FLLL.

Can you spell L-O-S-E-R??

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>
I received a PM also.

I don't know about "loser", but this guy needs some help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Perk
11-04-2004, 05:36 AM
PM'd as well..

brian_
11-07-2004, 07:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jude_Rosenstock:</font><hr>
The next time you play on a barbox table, remind yourself that it's a complete joke and a bastardized version of the real game. <hr /></blockquote>

That's exactly what I have to do. I just tell myself there's no real reason I should ever miss a reasonable shot cause there's only half a table here and the pockets are buckets.

I made the mistake of just playing on the bar boxes one year and I'm still trying to get my game back to where it was 2 years later. So if you want to keep your game sharp play on the real thing as much as you can, leave the bar boxes for the drunks except for tournaments and league night.

Angel_R
11-07-2004, 08:42 PM
I learned my fundamentals on a 9 ft table, but at the same time hit the 7ft bar tables just as frequent. As I think back to when I learned pool, I never really had problems with the adjustment. If your fundamentals are good, it is a matter of getting use to the table, afterall, I believe and I may be wrong, whether it is a straight shot, cut shot bank, etc..whatever the shot, you have to hit the object ball the same way. Now with that said, as stated earlier in this forum, the table is more open on a 9ft table as a 7ft table. Balls are more congested on a 7ft table. How you set up your next few shots depends alot on your stroke and vision.

Not to ramble on. IMO, if you stay focused and concentrate on where you want the cueball to end up, it doesn't matter, 6ft, 7ft, 8ft, or 9ft table. Afterall when all is said and done, if you get the cueball where you want it, you shouldn't be very far from the object ball anyways. Then the big thing is learning how to use a bridge effectively on a 9ft table, which I know I have to use every once in awhile, but just don't like it.

I do still shoot on a 9ft at home and play leagues on a seven foot. I play about 1-2 hrs a day on the 9ft in preparation for leagues one day a week. I usually play on the 7ft table an hour before leagues start and haven't noticed any difference. Concentration. I hope my two cents helped.

Angel

Rod
11-08-2004, 12:45 AM
Playing on a bar table is real pool. You need to learn all the subtle differences. Those that think otherwise have a lot to learn. Make no mistake about it, the ones that think otherwise are on the loosing end. I play both and you have to make adjustments either direction. You can run lots of balls on either, 14-1 etc, it's just more confined on a small table.

Rod

cueball1950
11-08-2004, 12:39 PM
GeeI feel left out. my buddy FL did not PM me.....Thank God for small favors.............................mike