PDA

View Full Version : GO TONY GO

05-18-2002, 08:44 AM
TONY ROBLES
IS ON HIS WAY TO WINNIG THE WHOLE THING .AND I HOPE HE DOES,I LOVE THE UNDERDOG.AND TONY IS GOING 2 WIN IT ALL......
(DEAESTROKE32)..

05-18-2002, 09:04 AM
I know Tony is thrilled to be in the finals and I'm totally thrilled for him. About two months ago, Tony told me that a top NY player went around town telling people negative things about Tony and his game. He said things like Tony isn't that good and he doesn't hold up under pressure. I've never seen Tony that angry before. I could see it in his eyes as he was telling me the story. The next week he went on to win a Tri-State Tournament against top regional players. Afterwards, he told me he had that idiot to thank for putting the fire back in him. That's what I call taking something negative and turning it into something positive.

I think it would have been good sportsmanship for Corey to let Tony make that final 9-ball and seal the match at the table rather than from the chair.

GO TONY!

Fran

MikeM
05-18-2002, 09:50 AM
Fran,

You bring up an interesting point. When do you concede the nine (or the eight)? I personally think that it is good sportmanship to concede when it is a gimme. But then you have to decide what is a gimme.

How do you CCBers handle conceding a game? Does it matter if it is for money or for fun?

MM

Harold Acosta
05-18-2002, 10:10 AM
Most players in my area concede games in order to save their ego and hide the fact that the opponent won at the table. What I'm saying is that when you approach the player who conceded, he will say, you didn't win, I gave you the last game. It's sort of a little mind game. It also helps the losing player to take off his concience the fact that he lost since he will only remember that he conceded.

I do not concede games because anything can happen, specially rattling the last ball or miscueing, giving you that extra chance to win the match. On the same token, most people I play do not concede games to me, paying me back with the same token. It doesn't bother me, and I get more respect when playing.

Just my 2 cents.....

Rich R.
05-18-2002, 10:14 AM
Mike, I do not like to concede. In my opinion, anything can happen, and when I'm shooting, it usually does. I never expect my opponent to concede a game to me and I do not concede to them. As Yogi said, "It ain't over until it's over." Rich R.

05-18-2002, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I know Tony is thrilled to be in the finals and I'm totally thrilled for him. About two months ago, Tony told me that a top NY player went around town telling people negative things about Tony and his game. He said things like Tony isn't that good and he doesn't hold up under pressure. I've never seen Tony that angry before. I could see it in his eyes as he was telling me the story. The next week he went on to win a Tri-State Tournament against top regional players. Afterwards, he told me he had that idiot to thank for putting the fire back in him. That's what I call taking something negative and turning it into something positive.

I think it would have been good sportsmanship for Corey to let Tony make that final 9-ball and seal the match at the table rather than from the chair.

GO TONY!

Fran <hr></blockquote>

What??? Good sportsmanship? It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

05-18-2002, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Harold Acosta:</font><hr> Most players in my area concede games in order to save their ego and hide the fact that the opponent won at the table. What I'm saying is that when you approach the player who conceded, he will say, you didn't win, I gave you the last game. It's sort of a little mind game. It also helps the losing player to take off his concience the fact that he lost since he will only remember that he conceded.

I do not concede games because anything can happen, specially rattling the last ball or miscueing, giving you that extra chance to win the match. On the same token, most people I play do not concede games to me, paying me back with the same token. It doesn't bother me, and I get more respect when playing.

Just my 2 cents..... <hr></blockquote>

Diito and i agree, Why would you concede when your goal is to win. Of course no one wants to lose, right? Make it a fair game. If you know you can win then pocket all the balls!

05-18-2002, 11:04 AM
I hate conceding games. It's like giving out weight, and if you're playing someone stronger than you, why would you do that? I also hate when someone says " I don't think you're going to miss this one" a couple of times and then makes you shoot one. I don't want to be guessing at which balls they're going to give me and which ones I'll need to shoot. It messes up your rhythm. Most of the time it's a sign of respect, or to push the pace along, but sometimes it becomes an outright shark.

05-18-2002, 12:13 PM
Hmm, replies such as yours surprise me since I always treat concessions as just that, concessions. 'I give up.' 'I can't win.' 'You won.' That's what making a concession means. It means telling your opponent that they have won the game. The odd thing about my experience of concession-making is that, I and others I have seen make concessions do so when the shot is a gimee or nearly so. It's as though the conceding player is saying, 'You are too good to miss this shot.' Concessions happen more in friendly games, from what I can tell. The ego-saving part does not figure into the equation.

My experience does not mean what your saying is wrong. It may be that I'm wrong or that pool is played differently in different places and by different people.

To return to the topic, my friends and I are also rooting for Tony Robles. I've never met him but friends and acquaintances have and they to a person claim that he is one class act. It's hard to root against such a man.

Steve

05-18-2002, 03:24 PM
It's obvious that Tony was going to win the match. That was not the point of my post. My point regarding sportsmanship was to allow him the victory in front of the cameras and fans by pocketing the final match ball. Let him throw his hands up in the air and do a victory dance, or whatever he might have done to express his feelings. He earned that right.

Conceding the match is also a psych move. "You didn't win, I lost." That plays a little on a player's mind going into the next match.

Fran

Barbara
05-18-2002, 03:38 PM
Harold,

I agree 100% with you on this one. While I have been tempted to throw my pool towel onto the table (in a friendly way, mind you) while my opponent's shooting the winning ball for the match, I have refrained.

I have stated this before and will do so again, I will never, EVER concede a game because one time I had given my opponent BIH on the 9 and have had said opponent MISS!!

Barbara~~~has been tempted to throw the towel at other parts of her opponents' bodies...

05-18-2002, 03:58 PM
Don't you worry Charlie Williams will give him a beating and C. Williams will get his victory dance. HAHAHA

05-18-2002, 09:05 PM
TTT for C. Williams!

05-18-2002, 09:45 PM
This may sound strange to some, but I personally think it's very poor etiquette to concede anything when practicing and playing sets with another player (not for money). When practicing, (and for serious players all practice sessions are taken seriously) even pro level players want to get in the habit of having the opportunity to make that 9-ball shot or finishing off the easy run-out. They know that when it REALLY counts in a tournament or gambling situation is it unlikely your opponent would give it to you. In fact on the pro tours it is actually against the rules to concede a shot unless you are condeding the match along with it.

When playing for money or in a tournament, then it is OK to concede the shot as long as the rules allow it - but don't ever halfway concede it and sneak up to the table. Your intentions should be VERY clear without question to your opponent that you have conceded before they even start to get ready to go in to their pre-shot routine.

By the same token, I think it's also bad etiquette for the shooter to continue shooting once the shot or game has been conceded to them - especially if playing in a tournament or gambling. Take the concession unless it is in a practice session - in which case tell you can politely tell your opponent you would prefer they NOT concede any shots / games to you. - Chris in NC

Ken
05-18-2002, 09:51 PM
ESPN is going to have a tough time fitting a C. Williams match into one hour. Put him on the clock and you could have a race to 19 in the same amount of time.
KenCT

05-18-2002, 10:17 PM
tough question there.

i will admit that i am familiar with the concept of conceeding easy, early in the match as a set up to not conceeding later.

i pretty much follow how the other guy feels in casual play. some of 'em really want to end the pain and get a new rack a.s.a.p. and i understand that. however, most of my main playing partners have agreed that it is more "realistic" to finish the rack.

in local tourney play; just depends how i feel.

dan...i'm sure that's a lot of help.

MikeM
05-18-2002, 10:28 PM
Thanks Chris, Houstan Dan and others. Sorry Deadstroke to have hijacked your original post. I asked because I have been playing a guy for fun at lunch lately and he concedes often. He is actually much better than me and beats me regularly, but when he leaves me a shot on the nine that is relatively easy, he just grabs the balls and starts racking. He has even conceded when I have BIH with the eight and nine still on the table. This has led me to try to return the courtesy but since I agree with Chris' approach, to play everything out, it has been difficult to decide when to do it or not. It's very interesting to hear all the opinions.

MM

05-18-2002, 10:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> Thanks Chris, Houstan Dan and others. Sorry Deadstroke to have hijacked your original post. I asked because I have been playing a guy for fun at lunch lately and he concedes often. He is actually much better than me and beats me regularly, but when he leaves me a shot on the nine that is relatively easy, he just grabs the balls and starts racking. He has even conceded when I have BIH with the eight and nine still on the table. MM <hr></blockquote>

if it's just practice then either let it be (when in rome) or talk to him about it.

my "better than me regular playing mate" has been known to give me the 7 out if it's that good a layout. he hasn't said it but what he's thinkin is "i ain't here to watch you practice. gimmie a new rack an i'll waste ya."

dan...then he does.

05-19-2002, 07:43 AM
I do believethat concession has it's place, but only when used a means of respect for your opponent- never as technique for sharking or psyching out your opponent. I have been in matches where my opponent has had a terrific run, is on the 8 or 9 (depending on the game), has an easy out- I will concede- would hate to see them blow the shot and then take a win myself- yeah, they could miss, but imo they deserve that match. I would never do it to "deprive" someone of the actual win- simply to say in effect- good shooting, the game is yours Patti

05-19-2002, 08:29 AM
Well said Patti! I too have 'given courtesy' for a run or shot that was so outstanding that it deserved a win. Sometimes, at our level, we are prone to succumbing to an adrenaline rush after the perfect run that results in blowing the case ball sitting six inches from the hole!

stickman
05-19-2002, 09:01 AM
Within the group of regulars that I play with, it is fairly common to concede the nine ball after a run of 4 or 5 balls or more, when the nine is an easy shot. We play together so much that we all know the abilities of each other very well. In this atmosphere, playing with friends, there is little tendency to choke on the money ball. We never concede anything more than the nine ball, and won't concede the match winning game. Tournament play, I would have to know my opponent very well before conceding anything, and I'm not sure even then. I have often seen someone make a great run and then choke on the money shot. I won several league games because my opponent choked on the game winning shot.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-19-2002, 09:44 AM
I have practice buddie that will request "no concession" format.
They want the practice of making the money ball all the time.
I like this and respect it a lot.
I have (within the last 10 years) while in tournament play, made it a practice that if a player wants to win, they have to make the money ball.. that is where all their effort has been placed, they deserve the oppotunity to make it.

I don't concede any games anymore. And, it doesn't make any difference to me if my opponent concedes or not.

CarolNYC
05-19-2002, 09:45 AM
Our NY gentleman of gentleman "silent assassin"HOORAH-no one deserved it more then him!Way to go Tony! Our hearts are with you!
Carol

05-19-2002, 11:37 AM
What? He just lost!

JimS
05-19-2002, 01:06 PM
I have a friends who do the same thing and I ask...no I TELL them that I WANT to shoot the shot. I consider it good practice to become familiar with shooting the money ball. I just MIGHT get to do that for real, rather than just for funsiees, and when that time comes I want to be as relaxed hitting the 9/8 as I am the 2 or the 13. (good luck!...it's still the money ball!)

CarolNYC
05-20-2002, 06:27 AM
Hey there anonymous,
I can only believe you remain anonymous due to personnal reasons or low self-esteem-I read your response as if it were a happy one! I congratulate Karen and Charlie for their 1st place wins no doubt, but just a little bit of optimism from you for Tony taking second,maybe a pat on the back or heck of good play would be understandable!That was the "Best of the Best" out there, so, I guess he's one of the best, do you think?If not, turn the news on and thank God we're all alive and I'll pray that you find some peace and happiness within yourself!
Carol

Kato
05-20-2002, 08:17 AM
I pretty much go by the "there are no friends in 9-ball" rule. I try to not conceed anymore. I have found I don't particularly enjoy when somebody conceeds a game to me. Course, I can't make a ball now so every ball is/was a struggle.

Kato