PDA

View Full Version : cell phone towers

SPetty
11-03-2004, 02:24 PM
About cell phone towers: How long after it gets a blinking light on top is it until it works? Is there any way to know what phone service is on the tower?

We have a new cell phone tower near my house. Due to the lack of signal strength on my phone it's obviously not a Sprint tower. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Unless they haven't turned it on yet?

If anyone is coming over to my place in the next few weeks, please bring your cell phone and see what kind of signal strength you get. I'm notorious for having a place where cell phones don't work (which is nice if you're coming out to get away from it all, but not so nice when you're supposed to be "checking in" with someone somewhere...)

Whatever tower that is, that's the phone service I want! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

highsea
11-03-2004, 02:31 PM
The blinking light may just be an aircraft warning light, depending on the tower's placement. I wouldn't assume it has anything to do with the tower's operation status.

Most cell co's share networks, except Sprint PCS, of course. You might try switching your phone settings to PCS plus Digital to see if the signal strength improves, but check your agreement with Sprint before you use the phone!

-CM~~~dumped my Sprint service, lousy coverage

SPetty
11-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Well, yeah, the blinking light is an aircraft warning light, but I thought it might be indicative that there is now power associated with the tower, so the other tower components might be turned on now...

The only place I've been where my Sprint phone didn't work when I wanted it to is at my house!

I don't know about changing my phone settings to PCS plus Digital. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

highsea
11-03-2004, 03:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>I don't know about changing my phone settings to PCS plus Digital. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
<hr /></blockquote>In my phone (samsung), it's on the roaming menu. It varies from phone to phone. You may only be able to select PCS or analog or automatic, with the PCS setting working on both digital and PCS. You would need to look in your book to see how to switch modes. (analog,digital,PCS,automatic, etc.)

Be careful of analog calls! Could be big $$$$$ Check your agreement!