PDA

View Full Version : CCB: The Class of Las Vegas

Fred Agnir
05-18-2002, 09:04 AM
Words cannot describe how proud I am to have been a part of this forum for the past several years. I won our local regional BCA singles final tournament winning a free ride to Las Vegas and the 8-ball singles tournament.

I went to Las Vegas with a team whom I know well (I'm not on their team). Because many of the other people were playing at the same time as I, I didn't expect that the other team members would be watching my game. That is, I expected to be alone in my very first national match. I had met Rip from LV earlier, and was pleasantly surprised to see him at my table as a spectator. As the match started and continued, I turned and saw Barbara. Then SPetty. Then RandyG. Amazing.

I fell 4-1, but made a comeback to knot it on the hill 4-4. But, alas, I made a mistake in the final rack, and my opponent ran out for the win. I turned around, and Chris Cass and Spiderman were right there congratulating me on the comeback. It felt good. Really good. It was like family. Really.

As the matches progressed, a CCBer was in attendance at almost every match. SPetty (who finished pretty well) was there at my 9:30 AM match. I can't tell you how much that meant to me. It was my first win of the tournament, and SPetty was right there encouraging me when I was low, and congratulating when I was high.

Later, in the match of my tournament (the one that got me into the money), and probably the match of my life, I fell 4-1 to a guy who ran out after my first break, and broke and ran his next two racks. He then stopped getting any kind of roll, and like my first match, I crawled back, running out when I had the open look until I tied it at 4-4. It was his break, and he broke them well again. I figured this was it. But something strange happened. A fire alarm went off. The PA announcer was saying something. But nobody was leaving the building, and my opponent trudged on. He got bad on a ball, and went for the whole enchilada. If he made it, it would have been his third B&R of the set. But, he missed and left me a shot and didn't tie up any balls. By the numbers, I picked them off, not touching any other balls, and getting dead perfect on the 8-ball to win 5-4.

Upon turning around, it was CarolNYC who was literally jumping in my arms congratulating me, though I had never met her. My finest hour. Carol also showed up for my next day 9:00AM match. I fed off of her enthusiasm. Thanks Carol. Thanks CCBoard.

Fred

Rich R.
05-18-2002, 09:24 AM
We smile, we laugh, we argue and we complain. We also support one and other. We are family. We are the CCB.
Rich R.~~~glad to be a member in good standing.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-18-2002, 10:41 AM
Fred,
Although I wasn't there in person, I have been thinking of all the fun and great matches I have been missing. To be able enjoy this emotional experience with you and the fellow CCB'rs is just one of the many benifits of being part of this great forum and game.
Thanks for sharing..

05-18-2002, 10:57 AM
Oh Fred, how wonderful for you! Congratulations! Had I been in Vegas, I'd have been right there with you too!

Barbara
05-18-2002, 12:33 PM
Fred,

For all the rooting the CCBers did for me, it still didn't help. I had the worst mental tournament ever. As soon as I got there, I didn't want to play pool, I just wanted to relax by the pool and enjoy a vacation.

In my last match Sunday night I was struggling against my opponent from the get-go. I got great shape on my last ball and missed it into the corner pocket to start off the match. By the fourth game, I mangaged to post a win and when I sunk the 8-ball, I thought I heard a hundred people cheering me. When I looked up, I saw Rip, Spiderman, SPetty, Carol, and Fran all there watching me!! Even though I had a really lousy tournament, I will NEVER forget that cheer for me.

I'm sorry I didn't sweat everyone's matches afterwards, but I did manage to watch Chris Cass and like Rip said, he gave me a hernia watching him break!! LOL!!

Barbara~~~physically home but mentally still by the pool...

Ralph S.
05-18-2002, 02:29 PM
Would love to have been there to share in the highs and lows with all of you that were there. I do thank you for sharing what all went on and how each of you did in your respective matches. Atleast I was there in spirit, LOL. Congrats to Fred for getting into the $$$$$$.
Ralph S.

Scott Lee
05-18-2002, 02:56 PM
Fred...Congrats on your play! I was in Vegas for just a few hours between midnight Wed. and 5am on Thurs., before having to hit the road back to Montana. I was checking on CCB'ers names on brackets, and followed several players through the bracket as far as they went. Looked like many of us played pretty well! I think our own Rod from Phoenix finished 3rd in the Senior Division! It was listed as Rod Thompson, and I am almost sure that is 'our' Rod! Way to go Rod...and all the others! Sorry I didn't get to sweat any of your matches! The CCB is definitely a closeknit family, and we ALL care about how our friends and neighbors do...when the competition gets tough!

Scott Lee

Gayle in MD
05-18-2002, 03:42 PM
Congrats Fred, wish I could have been there! As I said earlier this week in another post, whatever one may need, it may be found right here on this great forum, including great friends. As a former recipient of Carol's atomic enthusiasm, I know how you must have felt! LOL
Way to go!
Gayle in Md., Can just see Carol three feet off the ground, LOL

Rod
05-18-2002, 04:32 PM
Scott, sorry but that wasn't me. I like you could have been there for a few hours on thursday. Long story but I changed my plans since it was going to be such a short visit.

Rod (Babe) Thompson is as nice of guy you would ever want to meet. He rarely competes any more but I see him from time to time and when I do he is usually practicing 14-1.
That game is the love of his life, and he does hold a record, from the early 70's I believe, for high run of the 14-1 Championships. I don't have an old BCA rule book handy but he's in there with a run well over 100.

Let me personally congratulate Rod for his good play.
While I'm at it another old friend I haven't seen for some time, Mike Cox finished 7-8 congrats to you Mike, great tournament.

More Friends from AZ
Scotch Doubles, Tres Kane & Virginia Jennings finished 7-8 great tournament Tres and Virgie, hang in there the big one is comming. I get a hug from Virgie, but a hand shake will do from you Tres. This guy reads this board, but can't respond, due to limits on his job.

Womens Singles, Diana Clayton 5-6. Diana you have more fight than a cat backed up in a corner. Glad to see you did so well Diana.

Mens Singles, Larry Eans 25-32. All around one of the most pleasant persons you can meet. Larry I know you wanted more and it will come, as they say there is always next year.

cheesemouse
05-18-2002, 09:07 PM
Fred,
What a nice story to hear about all the support you got from the ccb family. I wish I could have been a part of the cheering section. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rod
05-18-2002, 09:47 PM
Fred, first of all congrats on winning the regional. Welcome to the nationals, it is quite an experience for a first time visit. I'm glad you had fun, with all that support I can't imagine who wouldn't. Wish I could have been there. Great group of people this CCB board! I wonder if Carol was a cheerleader in high school!

Rich R.
05-19-2002, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> I wonder if Carol was a cheerleader in high school!
<hr></blockquote>
Rod, In my opinion, there is no way that Carol could have been a cheerleader in high school. Carol has way too much energy for a cheerleader. LMAO. Rich R.

CarolNYC
05-19-2002, 10:02 AM
Rich,
LMAO,and YES, you can bet your butt I was a cheerleader in junior high,but I think it was my judo class in college that made me this way!ha ha ha ha!Or,better yet, being a pool player,ha ha ha-missd Ya!
Peacing!
Carol

05-22-2002, 11:26 PM
Hey Fred sorry I didnt get a chance to meet you in Vegas... I was not on the CCb much before the tourney so I didnt know who was going to be there.. glad you had fun.. I also played in my first singles there (3rd year for team). Did pretty well got as far as the 9th round before getting bumped on the hill (had him 4-2 :O(...)... Ran into Randy G again and said hi but that was it as far as CCB goes... maybe we will meet next year if you are there.

Fred Agnir
05-23-2002, 06:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr>Hey Fred sorry I didnt get a chance to meet you in Vegas... I was not on the CCb much before the tourney so I didnt know who was going to be there.. glad you had fun.. I also played in my first singles there (3rd year for team). Did pretty well got as far as the 9th round before getting bumped on the hill (had him 4-2 :O(...)... Ran into Randy G again and said hi but that was it as far as CCB goes... maybe we will meet next year if you are there. <hr></blockquote>
D0wnt0wn, I was watching your draw, and we were pretty much playing at the same times so I couldn't get to any of your mathces. Of course, since I lost my first round, I was always playing so I pretty much missed out on everyone else's matches that weren't played near mine. I'm glad you did well. I see you ended up in the 129th spot. Nice job.

Fred

SpiderMan
05-23-2002, 07:45 AM
DT,

What was the name of your team?

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> Hey Fred sorry I didnt get a chance to meet you in Vegas... I was not on the CCb much before the tourney so I didnt know who was going to be there.. glad you had fun.. I also played in my first singles there (3rd year for team). Did pretty well got as far as the 9th round before getting bumped on the hill (had him 4-2 :O(...)... Ran into Randy G again and said hi but that was it as far as CCB goes... maybe we will meet next year if you are there. <hr></blockquote>

05-23-2002, 05:02 PM
Over "8" ed Spider

05-23-2002, 05:05 PM
ya good thing i won that 300 bucks or id have been pan handling outside the riv for food heheh

eg8r
05-23-2002, 08:19 PM
Hello Fred,

Congrats on your comebacks. I do not post here very often especially since the new version of the CCB (no reason really). I am quite a lurker, I can agree, it is quite a close nit group here. There are always a few people that add over the year but the same core is always here. I do miss not hearing any more from #### and I have not seen Howie post in awhile. Where is Howie?????

I wish I could have been out there in Vegas, however my skills on the table will never afford me the satisfaction of a free trip to sin city, ha ha.

Congrats for everyone who had the chance to play, you must know how lucky you are.

eg8r

SpiderMan
05-23-2002, 10:29 PM
Don't guess we ran into you. We played 3 Canadian teams, but no "over 8". We were the "TopShooters" (TX).

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> Over "8" ed Spider <hr></blockquote>

CarolNYC
05-24-2002, 04:12 AM
Hey Fred,
It was all you and I would jump EVERYTIME!My pleasure!
Stay well!
Carol

05-24-2002, 10:44 PM
seems to me i might have seen your team play .... did you play "just jersey joes"? or woodies peckers or the vancouver canadians?? they are all friends of mine and i watched some of all thier matches

SpiderMan
05-25-2002, 12:55 AM
It's hard to remember all the names, and the origins that went with them. But I think one of the Canadian teams was called "The B Team", and maybe another one was called "Peacock" or something like that. I can't remember the other one, and actually I'm not sure about the "Peacocks". I remember "The B Team" because they were pretty strong, and I think one of them was a cuemaker.

My team played in red shirts on Wednesday, gray on Thursday, and Red again on Friday. If we'd won our last match Friday night we'd have celebrated by doing laundry /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> seems to me i might have seen your team play .... did you play "just jersey joes"? or woodies peckers or the vancouver canadians?? they are all friends of mine and i watched some of all thier matches <hr></blockquote>

05-25-2002, 10:53 AM
was there for ten days so i had to do my laundry twice :O)