PDA

View Full Version : Glass City Open

Bob
11-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Good luck to all playing. This is one of my favorite events, wish I could be there but I'm off to Vegas for the BCA event.

I'll be keeping an eye on the forums to see all the scoop.

Eydie

candyman74
11-03-2004, 09:31 PM
I am playing in it but i don't know if my hotel room will have internet connection. But i will try to keep updates current.

Popcorn
11-03-2004, 10:33 PM
How old, (Long running), is that tournament? I played in that tournament years ago.

Perk
11-04-2004, 05:40 AM
From their website: www.glasscityopen.com (http://www.glasscityopen.com)

HISTORY of the Glass City Open : View Champions

Joe Kerr, Larry Kahan and Tom Elder teamed up to start the Glass City Open in 1984. The first one was held in Hi-Q Billiards and had a modest $2,400 added to the player entry fees. However, Joe Kerr, through his company, Joker Promotions, was able to attract many of the top players such as Mike Sigel (Glass city Open’s first champion), Kim Davenport, Buddy Hall, Earl Strickland, Wade Crane, Jimmy Mataya and many, many more.

In 1985 & 1986, the Glass City Open played at Hi-Q Billiards. The tournament was then moved to the Tam-O-Shanter Sports Hall and moved again in 1988 to begin a four year run at the former Sheraton Westgate Hotel (now the Clarion). In 1992 the Glass City Open had its final year at the Marriott Portside Hotel in downtown Toledo. Because of Larry Kahan and Joe Kerr’s declining health the tournament was discontinued.

Although Larry has now passed on, Joe Kerr remains alive but retired from the sport he loves so much because of a rare neurological disease called Myasthenia Gravis. Joe still communicates by phone and through the internet and wishes the best for all the fans and players.

The Glass City Open™, once the premier independently produced 9-ball tournament for the pro pool players around the world, is back. With the success of 2002 now a fond memory, Tom Gearhart and Tom Elder now look forward to bringing the world's best 9-ball players to Toledo again, November 10 - 14, 2004. Once again, this event is being held in the beautiful ballroom of the Clarion Hotel Westgate.

Veteran tournament director Scott Smith will be on board to make sure things run smoothly and Nick Varner, 2002 Glass City Open Champion, along with Johnny Archer, Jim Rempe, Corey Duel, Alex Pagulayan, Rodney Morris, and Keith McCready have already given their commitment to play in the 2003 Glass City Open.

GLASS CITY OPEN PAST CHAMPIONS

Year Venue Champion Runner Up
1985 Hi-Q Billiards Mike Sigel Kim Davenport
1986 Hi-Q Billiards Mike Sigel Kim Davenport
1987 Tam-O-Shanter Sports Hall Buddy Hall Efren Reyes
1987 Womens @ " Jean Balukas Yoko Miura
1988 Sheraton Westgate Nick Varner Efren Reyes
1989 Sheraton Westgate Nick Varner Earl Strickland
1990 Sheraton Westgate Mike Lebron Johny Archer
1991 Sheraton Westgate Bob Hunter Earl Strickland
1992 Marriott Portside Mike Lebron Earl Strickland
1993 Marriott Portside Earl Strickland Nick Varner
2002 Clarion Hotel Westgate
View 2002 Brackets
Nick Varner Rodney Morris
2003 Clarion Hotel Westgate
View 2003 Brackets Johnny Archer Danny Harriman
2004 Clarion Hotel Westgate Who will it be? TBD

#### leonard
11-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Syracuse's Legend, Larry Ridgeway ended up in Toledo if my memory serves and word on Larry Ridgeway. ####