PDA

View Full Version : What book should I buy?

66goat
11-03-2004, 09:17 PM
I will be traveling to China early next year and am not looking forward to the 20 hours of travel involved in getting there. I plan on buying a couple of books on pool to pass the time and maybe learn a thing or two on the way. Any suggestions???

I plan to get at least one instructional book, but I'm also wondering if anyone has read any good pool stories or biographies lately? Thanks in advance....

dmgwalsh
11-04-2004, 02:26 AM
Pleasures of Small Motions by Bob Fancher, The Inner Game of Tennis, Hustler Days by R.A. Dyer , McGoorty by Robert Byrne.

rogerb
11-04-2004, 02:55 AM
i'll second Hustler Days too, a very good book.

Jimmy B
11-04-2004, 03:22 AM
I liked playing of the rail, it was good and hard to put down, but in this case I think I'd read a book that teaches how to speak Chinese, or a Bible after yesterday's results.

JB

Jude_Rosenstock
11-04-2004, 09:17 AM
I really liked Playing Off The Rail and could easily find myself reading it a third time. Knowing the New York characters only makes it more enjoyable but the beauty of the book is that you need not be a pool fanatic to enjoy this book.

Another is Robert Byrne's Book of Great Pool Stories. It's a series of short stories, some you've certainly heard of, some you likely haven't. I'm not a big fan of short stories but they're all so good, you'll find it hard to put the book down.

Check:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/015600223X/qid=1099585163/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/102-4206841-9037748?v=glance&s=books

Jude M. Rosenstock

gungadin
11-04-2004, 11:51 AM
I'd agree with "Playing Off the Rail." It's a great book that I recommend to anyone interested in pool and stories about life on the road. I also agree with "Hustler Days." I'm in the middle of that now and am pleased with it so far.

Bob_Jewett
11-04-2004, 12:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 66goat:</font><hr> I will be traveling to China ... Any suggestions??? <hr /></blockquote>
For stories, you might also be interested in "The Greatest Gambling Stories Ever Told" by Paul Lyons. A used hardcopy is available for under $5 or you can get a new paperback copy delivered for about $11. Lots of different perspectives on gambling.