PDA

View Full Version : jump cue question

Popcorn
11-04-2004, 08:45 AM
I am not a real rule guy so I don't know the answer. Tournaments that don't permit jump cues, do they usually let you to jump with your break cue? Would a break cue with a removable weight be legal?

Jude_Rosenstock
11-04-2004, 08:57 AM
It all depends on the exact wording of the rule but most of the time, tournaments that wish to outlaw the jump cue will simply state that you must use your regular shooting cue throughout the course of the game with the only exception being the break.

There are occasions where the length of a cue becomes an issue. If this were the case and you were allowed to switch cues, then yes, you would be able to use a very light full-length cue.

Jude M. Rosenstock

Chris Cass
11-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi Popcorn,

Generally, any tourney that I've ever played in that didn't allow jump cues always allowed jump shots. You of course can jump with your playing cue or your break cue. Removing the weight isn't a problem. The issue is the length.

Regards,

C.C.

Troy
11-04-2004, 01:17 PM
I suggest you ask the question at the player's meeting.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I am not a real rule guy so I don't know the answer. Tournaments that don't permit jump cues, do they usually let you to jump with your break cue? Would a break cue with a removable weight be legal? <hr /></blockquote>

Rod
11-04-2004, 01:28 PM
Good question, I'd say it depends on the tourney or TD. Full lenght should not be a problem, I have and seen others shoot shots during a match with their break cue. This is in a tournament. The removable weight, well now their going to have to write new rules to prevent it. LOL See what you have done!

Cue weight, no minimum, cue lenght 40" minimum. OK they get you on the lenght but any weight if it's a full length cue. There is no rule preventing you from playing with a break cue if it meets the requirements to my knowledge. It's going to go back to the tour or TD etc.

Rod

SpiderMan
11-04-2004, 02:40 PM
I doubt that a swap-a-weight stick could be a successful product to get around the intent of no-jump-cue rules, as most astute TDs would likely rule against it.

After all, the relative mass of cue and ball is the most critical factor. IMO a full-length cue with substantial removeable weights would be a specialty jump cue just as much as if it had a removeable butt section.

In other words, if jump cues are disallowed, and all the TD had to decide was "is this a jump cue?", I expect he'd rule that it was. Particularly if you reconfigured it just for a jump.

SpiderMan