PDA

View Full Version : Arthur (Babe) Cranefield jr. stats?

justbrake
11-04-2004, 08:45 AM
first I want to say may he rest in peace and my condolences to his family, he was definitly a Legend

I was reading his stats and they are really impressive (WOW), the one stat that I can't get over is how anyone could run 70 balls and not have the cue ball touch a rail this is really something unbelievable and like impossible
thats over 4-1/2 racks that means he had to nit-pik every little break of the balls and keep them all off the rails,I do believe he did do it but thats pretty remarkable.does anyone else come close to that?

Popcorn
11-04-2004, 08:55 AM
He may have done it by open breaking racks and trying it and did almost 5 racks in a row. I was at a tournament once and Cueball Kelly was there. He told me he had just seen Cranefield run 411 a few days ago he was racking the balls for him. Kelly said that was the most balls he had personally ever seen anyone run. I remember Kelly saying how Cranefield never seems to be getting in and out of trouble like most players. Except for a bad roll, his runs are almost always perfect. From Kelly that was pretty high praise.

nail
11-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Hi justbrake:
It was Cue ball Kelly that said he saw Babe run 70 balls without the cue ball touching the rail. Babe said he saw Greenleaf run 60 balls without touching the rail. One of his words of wisdom to me was "If the cue ball doesn't go to the rail, you can't scratch!". Easy for him to say. Many times he would tell me, when the balls broke well, I'm going to run these without the cue ball touching the rail......and proceeded to do it. I have never seen a more talented player.
nail

petel
11-10-2004, 02:24 PM
I remember when I was 19 years old, just moved to Syracuse, and there was a gentleman playing pool with his own stick. I asked him if wanted to play for something. He said no, just rack 'em up anyway. We played 14:1 I lost the lag and broke. Not a bad break, only one ball hanging out a little. Anyway the rest of the game and more I just racked. Babe ran 256 balls. Since then every time babe saw me he called me over and we played (3 times a week or more). I've seen Babe run 350 and 450+ balls. He taught me quite a bit including three cushion billiards. We'll that was how I first meet Babe. I've been told and I believe it that he was the best in the world, or would be if games were to 1000. It took him a little longer to fight off tension. And yes he was a great golfer. The reason he stopped playing golf was because of a broken ankle that later ailed him. He was a great guy and very intense about the game of pool. Boy when he missed a shot, everyone knew it. Anyway I'm sure we'll all miss him.

RichardCranium
11-10-2004, 03:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote petel:</font><hr> I remember when I was 19 years old, just moved to Syracuse, and there was a gentleman playing pool with his own stick. I asked him if wanted to play for something. He said no, just rack 'em up anyway. We played 14:1 I lost the lag and broke. Not a bad break, only one ball hanging out a little. Anyway the rest of the game and more I just racked. Babe ran 256 balls. Since then every time babe saw me he called me over and we played (3 times a week or more). I've seen Babe run 350 and 450+ balls. He taught me quite a bit including three cushion billiards. We'll that was how I first meet Babe. I've been told and I believe it that he was the best in the world, or would be if games were to 1000. It took him a little longer to fight off tension. And yes he was a great golfer. The reason he stopped playing golf was because of a broken ankle that later ailed him. He was a great guy and very intense about the game of pool. Boy when he missed a shot, everyone knew it. Anyway I'm sure we'll all miss him. <hr /></blockquote>

Man some of you jokers were so lucky...Man I am jeleous

Popcorn
11-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Some correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he always had a regular job.

petel
11-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Yes he did. He worked for Musak or something like that. The elevator music company.

Barbara
11-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Hey Pete!

You should be talking with #### leonard on this board. He knew the Babe, too.

Barbara

petel
11-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Did he use to play at Holiday Bowl? Babe had one table that he had covered with a better grade of felt. He also used to bring in his own billiard balls. Can I find him on this forum under leonard?

JimS
11-11-2004, 06:27 AM
Go to user list. He's one of the first listed. He's listed as #### &amp; that's because the smut filter used to not allow his first name Dick. Good grief. &amp; now Eva's allowed to say "titty" on TV. What has happened to our country's morals?

nail
11-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Yes. He used to play at the Holiday Bowl regularly. That's where he ran the 768. He always brought his own Centennials; the same ones he used when he won the world championship.
nail

petel
11-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Neil are you from Syracuse? If so what years were you at Holiday Bowl?