View Full Version : Ultimate Pool Challenge tv show

Wally_in_Cincy
11-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Hey folks, there was a thread about this at AZB

http://www.forrelease.com/D20040723/laf013.P2.07232004042817.29023.html

they taped the pilot Saturday apparently

9 Ball Girl
11-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Can't wait to see it. Is this the one that Melissa Herndon said she was on?

Jude_Rosenstock
11-04-2004, 09:35 AM
Actually, I was there. This release isn't entirely accurate anymore but you're correct, they did film the pilot this past weekend. It's now for $25,000 (each of the five contestants gets $5,000 to play with) and from what I've seen, there are still minor details that are being worked out so I'm certain it will change again.

HOWEVER, the set-up was beautiful. I watched over two hours worth and can say it could easily be the best television presentation pool has ever received. The close studio audience gives the playing area an arena-type feel (almost like a fight-pit), it's colorful and the camera angles were superb.

My only personal concern is time. Knowing how long ring-games can take, I wonder how each contest will fit into a television time slot.

If this show DOES get off the ground, I can assure you it will draw the attention of the entire pool community and beyond. I really hope it happens.

Jude M. Rosenstock

Jude_Rosenstock
11-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Yes, Melissa was there.

9 Ball Girl
11-04-2004, 10:16 AM
I guess you're not at the liberty to say who the contestants were, huh. I guess we'll just have to wait!

Wendy<---the suspense is already killing me...

Steve Lipsky
11-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey Wally. What could possibly go wrong? After all, this is being produced by Mars Callahan, the genius behind Pool Hall Junkies. And, according to the article:

"ULTIMATE POOL CHALLENGE is co-executive produced by Mars Callahan, a legendary Hollywood pool shark and top amateur player who has won nearly $500,000 in cash and prizes from tournament play."

In the last two months I've seen two players claim to have won $500k playing pool. One of the players is good, and one of the players (Mars) stinks. Well, folks, I'm making a stand. As of now, I've decided that I have made $20,000,000 playing pool. I'm telling this to all who will listen.

Anyway, back to the show. One game of 9-ball to decide matches. A while ago, I suggested that I wasn't very interested in pool becoming more popular. I can't think of a better exhibit A than this.

If pool's salvation is coming through Mars Callahan, I'll pack the cue away (in my guitar case) and bid the game a fond farewell.

- Steve

Wally_in_Cincy
11-04-2004, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>

Hey Wally. What could possibly go wrong? After all, this is being produced by Mars Callahan, the genius behind Pool Hall Junkies.

<font color="blue">Maybe he learned something from PHJ /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

"ULTIMATE POOL CHALLENGE is co-executive produced by Mars Callahan, a legendary Hollywood pool shark and top amateur player who has won nearly $500,000 in cash and prizes from tournament play."

In the last two months I've seen two players claim to have won $500k playing pool. One of the players is good, and one of the players (Mars) stinks.

<font color="blue">Add in Kinister's 300k last year and you're talking real money /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

Well, folks, I'm making a stand. As of now, I've decided that I have made $20,000,000 playing pool.

<font color="blue">Just think how much you would have made if you had a jump cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

Anyway, back to the show. One game of 9-ball to decide matches. A while ago, I suggested that I wasn't very interested in pool becoming more popular. I can't think of a better exhibit A than this.

<font color="blue"> Who knows, maybe the lemmings of America will jump on a pool craze like they have jumped on the Texas hold-em bandwagon. Your pool hall will be full of Tom Cruise stick-twirlers on the table right next to you when you're on a 60-ball run. What could be wrong with that? </font color>

If pool's salvation is coming through Mars Callahan, I'll pack the cue away and bid the game a fond farewell.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Nostroke
11-04-2004, 11:17 AM
I get douche chills every time i read an article where someone is seriously referred to as a "pool shark".

cycopath
11-04-2004, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>I'll pack the cue away (in my guitar case) and bid the game a fond farewell.
<hr /></blockquote>

LMAO!

Ok, who had their's first, you or Rick?

Jude_Rosenstock
11-04-2004, 01:19 PM
It's amazing what that guitar-cue case of Steve's can hold. He's got his 2-year-old Balabushka cue in there along with The Frog and 7 different gloves to match what he's wearing (he's cool like that).

Steve, um... If you're done with pool, can I have your case?

Jude!

Tom_In_Cincy
11-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Yeah.. and how many of us will actually take the time to find out what channel its on and watch it?

count me in, I also watch the trick shot shows on ESPN.

woody_968
11-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Quote from the article "Once a challenge is levied, both players will place cash on the table (a $5,000 challenge would net a $10,000 game). The players will then flip a coin to determine who breaks and plays one game of 9-ball for all the money on the table"

Are they really making bets on just one game? I wouldnt want to have to put up my whole bankroll when I was short stacked just to lose the coin flip and watch someone make the nine on the break LOL.

I am not complaining here, I love the idea of made for TV pool, just thought that set up sounded a little brutal /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
11-05-2004, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Hey Wally. What could possibly go wrong? After all, this is being produced by Mars Callahan, the genius behind Pool Hall Junkies.
<font color="blue"> LOL! I know he ain't exactly Marty Scorcese </font color>
And, according to the article:

"ULTIMATE POOL CHALLENGE is co-executive produced by Mars Callahan, a legendary <font color="blue"> (?!) </font color> Hollywood pool shark <font color="blue"> (they must be talking about his swimming ability) </font color> and top amateur player who has won nearly $500,000 <font color="blue">(maybe Mars just got the decimal in the wrong place) </font color> in cash and prizes from tournament play."

In the last two months I've seen two players claim to have won $500k playing pool <font color="blue"> ...the fish was thiiiis big... </font color> . One of the players is good <font color="blue"> (J.K.) </font color> , and one of the players (Mars) stinks <font color="blue">so bad he could make an Onion cry </font color> . Well, folks, I'm making a stand. As of now, I've decided that I have made $20,000,000 playing pool <font color="blue">( who says there ain't no money in Pool!) </font color> . I'm telling this to all who will listen.

If pool's salvation is coming through Mars Callahan, I'll pack the cue away (in my guitar case) and bid the game a fond farewell. <font color="blue"> (If you're quitting, can I have your Lambros?) </font color>

All kidding aside, I see your point that this is nothing more than a bastardized presentation of competitive Pool. I agree that the format turns it into a crap shoot as far as who wins and they might be better off playing 3 ball. Here's the $64,000 question. Do you think this hokey show might bring more interest and exposure to Pool? Will it bring new people into the game? Will this catch the interest of people who normally don't follow Pool and start a WSOP effect?

Eric &gt;a worthy Lambros recipient

Steve Lipsky
11-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Wow, everyone seems interested in my equipment. Interestingly, I have just decided to value my stick/case/varied-color gloves at $4.6 million. Any takers? I will split up if necessary but I'd rather keep them together.

Also, last night I made another $14 million gambling on 9-ball. Good night, for sure.

Current Totals To Quote in Newspapers/Magazines:

Equipment Worth: $4.6 million
Pool Winnings: $34 million

- Steve

eg8r
11-05-2004, 11:50 AM
This is too funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Eric.
11-05-2004, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Wow, everyone seems interested in my equipment. Interestingly, I have just decided to value my stick/case/varied-color gloves at $4.6 million. Any takers? I will split up if necessary but I'd rather keep them together.
<font color="blue">EBAY it, brother </font color>
Also, last night I made another $14 million gambling on 9-ball.
<font color="blue">Whacha have an off night? </font color>
Good night, for sure.

Current Totals To Quote in Newspapers/Magazines:

Equipment Worth: $4.6 million
Pool Winnings: $34 million
<font color="blue">Having your 'fish story' documented in a Pool mag - PRICELESS </font color>

Eric &gt;once I played a game of Pool for... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
11-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Eric &gt;once I played a game of Pool for... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>Wendy&lt;---Uh-huh. Me too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jude_Rosenstock
11-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Steve, you're just HOLDING my money.

Steve Lipsky
11-05-2004, 03:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Will this catch the interest of people who normally don't follow Pool and start a WSOP effect?

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Eric, on a serious note, there won't be any WSOP effect in pool. Poker players are attracted to the game because even though they are dead money, and even though they kinda know they are dead money, they secretly think they are not. In other words, any novice's AA beats any pro's KK. They can be in the right place at the right time and beat anybody. Of course, this won't hold over the long run, but it doesn't matter. This is what's drawing bad poker players into the game.

It's just not like that in pool. 2,500 bad players are not suddenly going to jump up and play in the US Open. They know they won't make the money or come close. Being dealt phenomenally good cards at a poker table, which is what they'll need to win, is much more likely than them breaking in 11 straight 9-balls, which is what they'll need to do to beat Efren.

Add to this that the real poker explosion began online, which is something that pool cannot duplicate. An offshoot of this point is that there is no significant difference to a poker server if 3,000 people play a tournament. If pool really took off and 400 people showed up to a local event... well, enjoy your week off from work, lol.

- Steve /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

woody_968
11-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Very good post Steve, I agree 100%. Seems like anyone can read a book and they think they know how to play poker. With pool that just doesnt happen. With added exposure you may start seeing knew faces trying to learn the game, which is what we need, but an explosion like poker just wont happen.

MarkUrsel
11-08-2004, 05:37 AM
I've won at least $465,430,235 playing pool...of course I've also lost $465,430,230. Most of the time, my opponents weren't even aware that I was playing for such high stakes. As a matter of fact, most of the time, my opponents weren't aware there were ANY stakes. Kind of sounds like an Enron-type revenue generating plan, doesn't it?

Yes, even you fell victim to my cash-intensive plot. You thought it was merely $20 a set - no my friend, it was actually $2.2 million per set, with $20 in cash, and the rest in imaginary and unmentioned hollywood pool shark bucks.

Mars Callahan's largest pool hustle was the movie.

Eric.
11-08-2004, 09:25 AM
I hear ya, Steve. I agree that there won't be too many people picking up a cue and entering an Open tourney, knocking out good player after good player.

What I was thinking is that maybe this thing might get enough new people interested in playing Pool casually. Maybe it will get the casual player taking more of an interest, playing more each month than they normally would. Maybe it will carry over to the Pool leagues. More players, more money spent in Pool, growth in the Pool industry... For that matter, maybe I'll hit the Lotto tonite...

Eric &gt;screw Pool, gimme the Lotto

Steve Lipsky
11-08-2004, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarkUrsel:</font><hr> Mars Callahan's largest pool hustle was the movie.

<hr /></blockquote>

LMAO Mark. Absolutely.

Steve Lipsky
11-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Hey Eric. I hear ya on the Lotto thing, lol. Would be nice.

I don't know, man... nobody's yet been able to convince me why I should want pool to become more popular. I don't want more knuckleheads running around my poolroom blasting bad music, and I don't like watching TV programs like "Trick Shot Extravaganza" and "No Limit, 1 Game Match, 9-Ball" and "Sudden Death, But Does Anyone Really Care, 7-Ball".

I'm a curmudgeon at 31 /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Steve

Eric.
11-08-2004, 12:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>

Nah. You probably just had on a pair of ill fitting underwear that day. Or Gina's by accident /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Eric &gt;doesn't usually wear womens undies

Deeman2
11-08-2004, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> I don't like watching TV programs like "Trick Shot Extravaganza" and "No Limit, 1 Game Match, 9-Ball" and "Sudden Death, But Does Anyone Really Care, 7-Ball".

Gotta agree here, what has more players brought us? I have a Charter Membership in The "Cumudgeons of America" at 52, they started stalking me around the same time the AARP did!

Bring back the good old Bad Days....

Deeman

JimS
11-11-2004, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarkUrsel:</font><hr> Mars Callahan's largest pool hustle was the movie.

<hr /></blockquote>

LMAO Mark. Absolutely. <hr /></blockquote>

Without a doubt the most disappointing movie. I'd hoped for something that was .... well..worth watching at least. Poolhall Junkies may not be the worst movie I've ever watched but it's close....couldn't make it through more than the first 1/2 hour. I"m shocked that Christopher Walken and Rod Steiger would have anything to do with it.

Steve Lipsky
11-11-2004, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Poolhall Junkies may not be the worst movie I've ever watched but it's close....couldn't make it through more than the first 1/2 hour. <hr /></blockquote>

Jim, go out and rent this movie right now! You missed the last scene?? The last hustle??? Jim, nothing you have heard/seen in your life can prepare you for the ending of this movie.

I am a pool player and it took me 5 minutes to figure out what was going on, another 2 seconds to decide that - given the absurd hustle - there was a much smarter way for Hero to play it, and a lifetime to try to forget the scene altogether.

One nice thing the movie has taught me is that if I'm ever playing a match for $100,000, thankfully I can go around the room asking better players for shot advice when it's my turn. I didn't know I had that option.

- Steve &lt;-- any morning started by bashing PHJ, is a good morning indeed