PDA

View Full Version : I need to replace my dot

SPetty
11-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Any hints on how to get the new dot in just the right spot?

If I take the old dot off and there's leftover glue on the cloth, what do I use to remove that before affixing the new dot?

Do I just lick it and stick it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara
11-04-2004, 04:06 PM
SPetty,

A wet cloth wll take off the residue glue.

To make sure you get the spot in the exact spot, I suggest marking it by intersecting string lines. Using scotch tape, tape one end of a string line on the second diamond from the end rail and secure on the other side on the diamond with tape. Do the same with the middle diamonds on the long rails.

Then take a felt tip marker and make a dot where those two intersect and you won't have to do it again.

I also marked the middle of my table with a very small mark.

And yeah, you lick it and stick it. It helps to chase that action with a shot of Tequila because those spots taste awful! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Barbara

Ives
11-04-2004, 04:41 PM
I measured the way barbara mentioned, worked great. I didn't use a lick and stick spot, just used a marker to mark a spot and left it alone. That way i don't worry about the edges coming up on me. Though the tequila chaser sounds good anyway !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Troy
11-04-2004, 04:44 PM
That's exactly how the #1 table mechanic in NorCal does it... Except maybe for the Tequila... He doesn't drink much any more... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> SPetty,

To make sure you get the spot in the exact spot, I suggest marking it by intersecting string lines. Using scotch tape, tape one end of a string line on the second diamond from the end rail and secure on the other side on the diamond with tape. Do the same with the middle diamonds on the long rails.

Then take a felt tip marker and make a dot where those two intersect and you won't have to do it again.

And yeah, you lick it and stick it. It helps to chase that action with a shot of Tequila because those spots taste awful! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Rod
11-04-2004, 05:16 PM
I would rub and brush the area under the spot and vacuum. Chalk tends to build up there. It will probably be clean enough afterwards. When you put on the new spot roll it down with a pool ball.

Barbara
11-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Down in VA at the US Open, I turned SPetty on to Cabo Wabo Tequila. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Damn smooth stuff, just pricey. ($50 per) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Barbara

Barbara
11-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Rod,

When I need to remove an indentation (read: ding) in the cloth made by a literally ball banging player, I smooth the area with a ball using a circular motion over the spot.

Barbara

Rod
11-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Barbara,

Yep same deal with the spot, it works. Spots lasted a long time in my room. Pretty rare one come loose even with the abuse they took. They should be replaced at some time though. They take a beating.

Rod

Nostroke
11-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Those dots aren't just there to mark the footspot.

A Poolroom i know just magic markered the spot like that when it first opened.

Well before the cloth wore out there were holes on all the 9 ball tables right there. You need the spot to protect the cloth at the impact location which that owner found out the hard way. Using ink on a straight pool table would be ok I'm pretty sure.

Dafatman
11-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Assuming you have the spot in the correct place the first time.....
1. Peel up the old spot.
2. Take the lid off of a Masters spot can and using the open side of the top, rub it across the old spot area to use the lid edges to remove old glue. This also levels out the "spot area". Blow or brush away the glue dust.
3. Lick the new spot and put it in place.
4. Take the lid to the spot can, turning it over this time, and rub it across the spot quickly, generating enough heat to dry the spot out and you're ready to go, no wet spots, no waiting, just play.

Chris Cass
11-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Hi SPetty,

I've seen a few ways of doing it. I've seen a few table mechanics acutally glue the new spot down even though licking is only required. When asked why, they told me that the licking doesn't last long so they used glue.

Regards,

C.C.~~rubs a ball around it after putting one on.

Troy
11-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Well..... Good ol' Masters spots in the little tin can are fine used as lick 'n' stick. The top of the can is domed and can be used to rub on the spot until a bit warm. (Or rub with a ball) Should last quite a while.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi SPetty,

I've seen a few ways of doing it. I've seen a few table mechanics acutally glue the new spot down even though licking is only required. When asked why, they told me that the licking doesn't last long so they used glue.

Regards,

C.C.~~rubs a ball around it after putting one on. <hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.
11-05-2004, 04:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Any hints on how to get the new dot in just the right spot?<hr /></blockquote>
Chances are very good that the cloth on the rest of the table has faded, from the light. You should not have a hard time finding the correct spot, assuming it was already located properly.

As Barbara said, a damp cloth will take off the glue residue.

Perk
11-05-2004, 05:22 AM
I am waiting to replace mine. Will a new spot give you that 'fresh' feel when racking? As in, will it start racking like new again?

Thanks.

JimS
11-05-2004, 05:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> SPetty,

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

I second every suggestion Barbara made here including the damp towel, string, scotch tape, marker...all of it.That's exactly what I've done several times to change my spot....except for the Tequila part and I only WISHED I'd had that remedy..had to settle for a piece of mint candy /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif (alcoholism is like that!)

Use Master Spots. They come in a cool tin box that I use for carrying Tylenol/Ibuprofen with me in the cue case. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I also marked the center of the table and the head spot. Nice to have marked for reference. Like when rolling shots the length of the table trying to make them come back to hit the cue tip.

Sid_Vicious
11-05-2004, 06:26 AM
Seems to me that it't be simpler to peel off the old spot, then center mark with an indelable pin(preferrably) the obvious leftover "moon" underneath the old spot, clean and re-apply the new spot. Of course the last idiot may have put it on any-old-where but you'd notice that fairly easy, and you'd be back to SPetty's deal...sid

SPetty
11-05-2004, 10:08 AM
"Spot", yeah, that's what I meant!

Thanks everybody, great ideas all! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif