PDA

View Full Version : The election is over, now what?

Popcorn
11-05-2004, 09:51 PM
I should have written this before the election because it applies to all people whether republicans, democrat, what ever. Many on here have very strong opinions about things and wanted a certain outcome to the past election, but, what did you personally do to help your party reach their goal? It is very easy to come on a board like this and rail about one thing or another but did you actually try to do anything about it? Were you out there with a sign, were you stuffing envelopes, did you even write a small check? If you are like most people you didn't, you just complain and look for someone to blame.

Where I live we have a small home owners association. There are about 1100 homes in the area the association covers. It cost only $20.00 per year per household to join. Each month we have a meeting and you don't have to be a member to come. Our local commissioner is always there as well as invited people based on local issues going on. Last week the city manager was there. Out of the 1100 households we have about 175 members and we are lucky if 20 people show up at a given meeting. Here is a chance to bitch directly to the city manager, commissioner or mayor about some issue they may have, but they never come. They just, I am sure, complain as they order another beer and tell anyone who will listen what is wrong with everything or come on boards like this. If you don't get involved you have no right to gloat or complain. Go to your local commission meetings, know what is going on. Get involved in things that you care about, actually try to make a difference, talk is cheap.

highsea
11-06-2004, 03:35 AM
I can live with that.

Gayle in MD
11-06-2004, 06:20 AM
Tap Tap Tap!

Gayle in Md, /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dg-in-centralpa
11-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Well said.

DG

silverbullet
11-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Very good point popcorn. It was the same way when I lived in a condo. Few came to the meetings.

While I always thought that in elections, those who did not vote, do not have much of a right to complain, the voter turnouts this time were huge, so this was not as much of an issue as it was in the past.

OTOH- If someone really believed in their candidate, one won, one did not. It is good that shortly after the election, we can come here to air our frustrations and feelings. But, at some point, we all need to be Americans and work to gether, regardless of what our political inclinations might be.

This was mentioned in Kerry's speech when he announced Bush the winner, and again repeated by Bush in his speech.

In fact, I was listening tonight to an oct replay of 'Larry King alive' intervieweing Barbara Bush. She said that in Texas, when george was governor, the repub and dems were able to work together. This polarization was been such a huge problem this last four years but hope that it will not be that way for the next four. I am not blaming anyone, it is just that while American is in other countries, trying to help them set up democracies,while healthy debates and differences of opinions look good for democracy,it just seems that being extremely polarized as we have been here is not setting a particulary good example.

sb