PDA

View Full Version : Glitch?

Qtec
11-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Glitch gave Bush extra votes in Ohio

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- An error with an electronic voting system gave President Bush 3,893 extra votes in suburban Columbus, elections officials said.

Franklin County's unofficial results had Bush receiving 4,258 votes to Democrat John Kerry's 260 votes in a precinct in Gahanna. Records show only 638 voters cast ballots in that precinct.

Bush actually received 365 votes in the precinct, Matthew Damschroder, director of the Franklin County Board of Elections, told The Columbus Dispatch.

State and county election officials did not immediately respond to requests by The Associated Press for more details about the voting system and its vendor, and whether the error, if repeated elsewhere in Ohio, could have affected the outcome.

Bush won the state by more than 136,000 votes, according to unofficial results, and Kerry conceded the election on Wednesday after acknowledging that 155,000 provisional ballots yet to be counted in Ohio would not change the result. (Full Ohio results)

The Secretary of State's Office said Friday it could not revise Bush's total until the county reported the error.

how many more glitches to come?

Q

highsea
11-06-2004, 03:09 AM
Yyyuupp... and they caught it before the precinct reported in, and they corrected it. Those votes were not tallied in the counts, and are not a part of the official count as it stands today.

Gayle in MD
11-06-2004, 06:29 AM
Has there ever been an election when the exit polls have been so far off?

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Popcorn
11-06-2004, 07:37 AM
They weren't wrong, they were within the + or -. They also just reflect who voted at what time, I.E. women seem to vote earlier and may be voting a certain way. Then a different group may show up and change the trend. Not unusual, it just give the news people something to talk about for 8 hours.

Qtec
11-06-2004, 12:00 PM
I dont think thats true. Do a google on 'Florida exit polls wrong'. I think most articles say the exit polls failed totally.

Q

Popcorn
11-06-2004, 01:25 PM
I notice you always seem to start with a preconceived idea and then try to find something that agrees with it. That is not the best way to find the truth. Exit polls have a + or - of 3% or more, if you can trust them at all. That is pretty consistent with the final results.

Ross
11-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Gayle, the exit polls did fail miserably in this election.

The main purpose of exit polls is to predict the outcome of an election based on early voting trends, not to determine how early-bird voters vote. The networks rely on the results from exit polls to help them call winners in each state before all of the precint results are in. Normally, exit polls are good at this because they have a lot of data from previous elections to model how the state will vote based on early voting trends in selected precints.

In 2000, there were glitches with Florida. That was in part because no method could predict the outcome of an election that differed by only a few hundred votes. The other part was an actual tabulation error I believe.

In this election, the exit polls overpredicted the Kerry vote in state after state and nationwide. Not only did the exit polls predict that Kerry would probably win Florida and Ohio, but they also predicted close races in states like NC and VA, which also didn't happen. My guess is that their model underpredicted the turnout in rural areas, so those areas were not weighted sufficiently. (Nothing like the threat of gays going down the aisle to get those rural folk stirred up!)

The main exit poll firm hired by all of the networks is now doing spin control to mitigate the damage to their reputation. They claim that they did fine. If you believe that read what the networks that hired them say about their performance.

Popcorn
11-06-2004, 02:23 PM
That is a pretty good analysis of what may have happened. some people seem to think because the final result differed, there must be some kind of fraud. Sometimes, they just get it wrong.

Chopstick
11-07-2004, 06:32 AM
Hey Q, you should love this.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/PAL411B.html