PDA

View Full Version : FLYING WITH YOUR CUE?

cuechick
02-20-2002, 10:50 AM
I am going to Vegas like thousands of other pool players in May and am most concerned about checking my cue. I understand the airlines will take no responsbility if anything happens. Is there any additional insurance you can buy? I know a few people have managed to carry theirs on. I was thinking of buying the travel case Porper makes.
Or shipping via fed ex; but I don't trust that either, except you can insure that. I am really worried about it.
Anyone have any advice or experiance to share?

Q-guy
02-20-2002, 11:24 AM
I have only traveled once since 9/11. I brought my empty case on board and put my cues in a gun case I have that is very substantial. What is funny is the gun case cost less then $50.00 is very nice and perfect for cues. If it were made by a cuecase builder they would want $150.00 for something like it. There are cases used for archery equipment also that work out well for cues. There are cases for easels that you can get at an art supply that can be used for cues also. Some are very nice with pockets and so on. They cost around $20. If it was called a cuecase it would be $100. Did you see the story about the Olympic skater that could not bring his skates on board and the air line lost them.

cuechick
02-20-2002, 12:14 PM
No I did not see that, and it is unbelievable. I do understand the need for certain restrictions, I do. But I don't understand the loss of all reason. I also think that the airlines have to be responsible! I have thought about packing my cues in my luggage which I did over the holidays but I only brought along my break cue.
I will check out the easel cases, sounds interesting. I am concerned the Porper travel case I saw advertised might bring more attention (you can put your entire case in to it and it locks). I see people check golf clubs all the time, I just can't believe they don't have extra insurance you can pay for...?

Doctor_D
02-20-2002, 12:30 PM
Cuechick:

Check out the following WebSite for industrial travel cases to place your cuse case in for shipping and/or airline travel. www.skbindustrial.com (http://www.skbindustrial.com)

Dr. D.

CarolNYC
02-21-2002, 06:19 AM
This is just an incredible dilemma!I was thinking of packing my cues in between my clothes and bringing a soft case with me, but then again, when I returned from LA in Nov., my cues arrived with me,but my luggage didnt!I cant imagine the no insurance deal!
Carol~unbelievable!

cuechick
02-21-2002, 09:45 AM
Hi Carol,
I recieved this info in a private message which may help. Also my friend just got back form Hong Kong and had no problem carrying her cue on the plane. I have a feeling if you don't 'bring' it up neither will they? I was thinking of getting the porper case and checking it only if I was asked?
But this info may help:

I work for an airline. I am told that all airlines have
the same basic rules for PAYING passengers that check baggage. If you can prove the value of items in your luggage they will award UP TO $2500 if lost or damaged.
Lets say you have a $10 hair brush that is crushed.. you
can ask for $10 ... no more than that. Lets say that you
have a $3000 cue and it was (properly packed) and it gets
crushed ... you can ask for $2500 ... no more than that.
This coverage comes with the cost of your ticket.

If you declare that the item is worth more than $2500 (before the flight) you can purchase an additional $2500
for a total of $5000.
Please check with the airline that
you plan on using... Their policy may be different than
the one I described

JimS
02-21-2002, 10:10 AM
It seems to me that if the custom cue makers ship via UPS or FED EX that when and if I travel that's how my cue will travel. Overnight, shipped to me at the hotel where I'm staying with arrangements made at that hotel for the package to be accepted...or something along those lines.

Dr. D, in a post above gave the web address for a place that sells hard cases that will hold a cue case. I checked it out and you can get a good hard case for a couple hundred bucks. Or, just pack your cue case in a free box from the shipping company and send it to yourself. That's got to be the safest and easiest way...imo.

I'm just not ready/willing to trust my cue to the airline luggage handling/wrecking crews. If FED EX is good enough for South West it's good enough for me.

Regards, Jim.

SPetty
02-21-2002, 11:42 AM
Hi Jim,

I remember reading somewhere (maybe here) of a method of packing a cue for checking like luggage that I thought was a good one, and probably less expensive. Just take your case (with cues) to your local MailBoxes, Etc. type of place and have them wrap it up for shipping before checking it on the plane. Of course, this is if you are going to check the cue rather than ship it separately like you just described.

02-21-2002, 12:08 PM
FYI: The last time I checked, FedEx would pay to replace any object lost or damaged in shipment. UPS, on the other hand, will pay up to $100.00. For any amount greater than $100.00, you must purchase insurance from them if you want to insure your shipment at its full value.

Their insurance guarantees may have changed since I last checked, so you may wish to contact them directly for accurate information.

Steve

02-21-2002, 12:32 PM
I fly home about twice a year from college and have never had a problem carrying my cues on. I don't trust checking them in either.

Doctor_D
02-21-2002, 01:04 PM
Cuechick:

I have checked with my Homeowner's insurance agent who informed me that the personal property coverage afforded through my existing policy, up to the limits stated in the Homeowner's policy, would cover my cues anywhere in the world for fire, theft, etc. I have asked her to check on a the availability and applicablity of any specific riders or additional coverage for this exposure. However, she has stated that she does not believe that it would be needed. I will keep you posted.

Dr. D.

JimS
02-21-2002, 01:17 PM
Be prepared!!! It WILL happen. It's in the regulations and one of these trips you'll find an anal bureaucrat doing the security checking, especially now that it's gov't run, and you'll have to let them take your cue case to the baggage section or miss the plane. It WILL happen.

Regards, JimS~Mr. Prepared...carries in pants pockets, AT ALL TIMES: Leatherman Wave multi-tool, another large pocket knife, small Swiss Army pocket knife, nail clippers, Tip Pik, tooth picks (4), leather burnisher, 2 cig lighters, 10 ft tape measure, 2 dog whistles, car/house/office keys, spare set of car/house/office keys, flashlight, wallet (w/sandpaper/burnishing paper/cue tip measuring guide, 3 bandaids), note book w/ph numbers etc, pen, cigs (spare pack in jacket pocket along with paper towels, spare pen, another flashlight) WOW! I didn't know I was that sick until I saw it in writing!

rackmup
02-21-2002, 10:15 PM
I travel weekly. I fly 90% of the time. Upon checking in, I show the ticket agent my cues and explain the following, verbatim:

"These are pool cues. They are valued at over $3000 and I want to carry them on. I WILL NOT CHECK THEM. Can I have them stowed with the flight crew's luggage (on the plane) until I reach my destination?"

I have never been denied. I have done this on American Airlines, Southwest and America West. On most flights, they have attached a "carry-on" tag (which I assume tells the security guys/gals that the airline "ok'd" the carry on of the cues. On only one flight did they actually place cues with the flight crew's belongings.

I was told this by an AA employee..."If you needed a cane to walk or pretended to need a cane to walk, it could be used as a weapon by you or someone that might take it from you. A pool cue is no different. Have a nice flight."

They want your business. Give it a try!

Regards,

CarolNYC
02-22-2002, 06:11 AM
Thankyou Lady!
Sounds good to me! I also like the Fed-Ex idea!
Have a great day!
Carol

cuechick
02-22-2002, 09:52 AM
I do know that with Fed Ex they only insure up to 100.00, anything more you have to purchase additional insurance, I thinkink it's like 1.00 per hundred. Also make sure you have copies of your reciepts for you your cues, case etc. I would also call the Riv ahead of time, talke to a manager and tell them it is coming. They have Overnight, 2day and express saver, 3day. Only the first is guranteed for a am delivery.... If you do this, you might want to pack your break cue in your luggage, and fed ex your main. That way if something does happen/ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif you will still have something to shoot with and you will save money....
I am planning to just try and non-chantley(spell check anyone) carry my cue on. If questioned I will request it to be stowed with the crews stuff....
See you in Laurel , Carol /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

02-24-2002, 11:19 AM
You are not quite accurate in your statements about price. You are correct however that there are cases used for other sports which will work adequately for cues. Gun cases are probably the best example although it is hard to find good ones at the right size for $50.

When you talk price you really need to compare apples to apples if you want a true comaprison. When you say that a cuecase manufacturer would charge $100 for a $50 gun case I believe that you are wrong generally but may be partially right.

As a casemaker in the billiard industry we strive to make products that are suitable for the transport and protection of pool cues. We are not a mutlimillion dollar company that makes hundreds of thousands of cases for guns and other items. If we were then we could sell cue cases made like gun cases for $50. It's called critical mass. Cue Case makers have a long way to go before any of them hit critical mass and the prices of so-called expensive cases drops dramatically. That said, you are correct that there are very good and relatively inexpensive alternatives out there. Before I go off and make an "AIRLINE SAFE" case to check cue cases in I want to make sure that there aren't already equally good or better solutions already commercially available. Otherwise I would have to charge much more than my industrial competiton does for the same solution.

Your solution is a good one. Please don't treat the casemakers unfairly - as a small segment of a small industry we are trying our best to make sure you don't have to resort to gun or archery cases for your cue protection needs. :-))