PDA

View Full Version : Schon players...

rackmup
05-18-2002, 02:47 PM
I approaching the time when the tips (that came with my Schon) are going to need replacing. I am accustomed to Tiger Hard tips and they will more than likely be my choice but I am told that Schon tips are backed with fiber and if I use anything else, my cue will make a "funny" sound upon striking the cue ball.

Also...any experience with any other tips that you might prefer over the Tigers? I will say this...the tips on the Schon have not mushroomed at all. Does anyone know what Schon installs from the "factory?"

So tell me...what's the scoop?

Regards,

Ken (doesn't want to laugh when the tip does something funny...it could be distracting to my game)

WaltVA
05-18-2002, 03:30 PM
Ken - I have 3 older Schons (total of 5 shafts) Over the years I've replaced all the tips as needed, first with Le Pro's, then with Hard WB (one piece, not laminated). Now waiting for an order of Talisman Hard WB's. Never noticed a problem with the sound. HTH - Walt in VA

Rod
05-18-2002, 04:59 PM
Ken, I asked the distributor I use to deal with to get me a hand full of those tips from Schon. The answer I got at the time, about 1998, was they used Le-Pros. I don't know if this is true, but I bought 2 spare shafts and I really liked those tips. They do put a black fibre backing on their tips. When I have a tip Installed I always use a pad under the tip. Not because of noise but to save the ferrule.
Have your cue guy cut off the tip until it just touches the black pad under under the tip, so it can be used again. After a couple of tips it will need a new pad. All pro shops use or have them. Tips are another matter I still like the WB med hard, non layered but can not find them out here. That is the closest tip IMO to the tip Schön uses.

Rip
05-18-2002, 05:17 PM
Ken, Schon cues come from Evan Clarke's shop with a super special secret formula water buffalo tip backed by a fiber pad. I own several Schon cues and have installed a number of different types of tips. I also keep one shaft with a stock Schon tip and ferrule and sometimes I prefer to use that combination. All of my Schon shafts that do not have a Schon tip are quieter. Like you, I noticed the Schon tip never mushroomed and holds chalk rather well. I ordered additional Schon tips and will probably switch between Talisman, Moori, Everest and Schon tips over time. I also had ivory ferrules installed on a couple of Schon shafts and they seem to have a slightly softer hit than the stock Schon ferrule. Regards, Rip

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> I approaching the time when the tips (that came with my Schon) are going to need replacing. I am accustomed to Tiger Hard tips and they will more than likely be my choice but I am told that Schon tips are backed with fiber and if I use anything else, my cue will make a "funny" sound upon striking the cue ball.

Also...any experience with any other tips that you might prefer over the Tigers? I will say this...the tips on the Schon have not mushroomed at all. Does anyone know what Schon installs from the "factory?"

So tell me...what's the scoop?

Regards,

Ken (doesn't want to laugh when the tip does something funny...it could be distracting to my game) <hr></blockquote>

MikeM
05-18-2002, 05:27 PM
I own three Schons with a total of five shafts. Two have Mooris (MH), One is a predator with a Lepro, one is an older Schon with a padded Lepro and the other I just got one re-tipped by the Schon folks with the padded WB tip. The Mooris are my favorites, but the new tip is very close to playing as well as the Moori tips. I really don't notice any sound difference, but I never have payed much attention to the sound of the hit. If my lurker buddy Wes brings me a Talisman tip this Wednesday I would like to try it on my Pred. Are you lurking today Wes?

MM

Rod
05-18-2002, 05:35 PM
Rip, did you order those direct from Schon? I'd like to get some myself. They did hold chalk well, and that's important to me, not to mention I liked the hit and they hardly mushroomed at all.

Harold Acosta
05-18-2002, 05:41 PM
I use a Talisman Soft with fibre pad for my Schon cue. Previously I used Triangle Chrome for them. I was told that Schon was using WB tips nowadays.

Anyway, it's your choice. If the Tiger tips are working fine for you, why change?

Cuemage
05-18-2002, 07:10 PM
I have a Schon &amp; just replaced a tip with a Moori medium hard...it hits VERY nice &amp; there is no click or anything else. I will have a Moori put on my other shaft when it wears down as well.

Tha Cuemage

Rip
05-18-2002, 07:18 PM
Rod, Evan prefers you send him your shaft so they can install their own tips. That is not convenient for me so I was able to order them from Seybert's Billiard Supply at 1-877-314-2837(toll free). The Schon tips aren't listed on Seybert's website so call them and speak with Rick. Remind him you also need the pads. They run $12 or 13$ for a 3 pack and they charge $1.00 each for pads. Rip

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Rip, did you order those direct from Schon? I'd like to get some myself. They did hold chalk well, and that's important to me, not to mention I liked the hit and they hardly mushroomed at all. <hr></blockquote>

05-18-2002, 08:59 PM
I'm with the majority here. I've owned 1/2 a dozen of these Qs over the years &amp; never had this "noise" that some are talking about. I had an AE Q that had a "noise",but a softer ferrule cured that in a heart beat. I don't like these hard material ferrules, that a lot of the Q makers are using these days. Too often the tip gets the blame &amp; you change the tip &amp; still have the problem. Then the Q is blamed when a softer ferrule will return your Q to a normal hit...JER

Rod
05-18-2002, 09:09 PM
Thanks Rip, I'll give him a call.

05-18-2002, 11:55 PM
I play a Schon, with a Predator shaft as well as the Schon shaft- I use a Medium LePro tip tip on the Predator, and still have the original tip from Schon on the Schon shaft (shows you how much I use thatshaft!) If properly set, I have no problems with odd sounds or quirky english,but I do have to shape it more frequently than some of the newer or harder tips.... one time I had a tip put on with old glue, and it played weird as hell. (it popped off the second day) I think the key is finding a tip you are comfortable with,and having it set properly, regardless of the cue (I also have 3 Hueblers that I dearly love) Patti

SpiderMan
05-19-2002, 06:30 AM
Ken,

I believe the stock tip is a single-layer WB over a black fiber pad. It is also cut-down to be shorter than the common WB tips, from what I can tell. I've replaced them with that combination and had players say they like it fine. Recently replaced one and left the tip tall, the player liked that also.

SpiderMan