PDA

View Full Version : does the cue brush your chest?

pigbrain
11-07-2004, 06:46 AM
first,my English is not good enough, i dont know if i can express myself well. i wanna ask a q. when you execute a shoot. does the cue you hold brush your chest? does it touch your body except your hands? or it is no matter brush or not? i found when i was making a shoot, it would rise the stability if i slide the cue just under my chest with a constant touch. but someone else say it is wrong to brush chest.

Chris Cass
11-07-2004, 07:28 AM
Hi Pigbrain,

Are you a woman or a man? Women often rub the cue on or in between their whatyamacallems. Men, might rub theirs along their belly or chest. The bottom line is that the cue should be able to flow freely. You should feel comfortable and guiding the cue along your body isn't a no no.

Don't listen to anyone that tells you everything. Even myself. What works for you is always good. If you feel your cue is uninhibited and your able to shoot straight without a lot of resistance then, it should be good enough. Some men can't even get down on the ball and shoot upright. I did for many yrs. Now, I'm more compact in my stroke and still it runs freely throughout my backswing.

This is only my opinion and I'm sure you'll receieve more. Don't worry about the english. It'll do just fine.

Regards,

C.C.~~welcome to the board. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman2
11-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Pigbrain,

Where are you from? Welcome to the CCB.

Chris is right, there are many ways to shoot as long as you clear your body out of the way. I finish with my hand hitting my chest just to know I am shooting consistently.

Deeman

9 Ball Girl
11-07-2004, 08:47 AM
Pigbrain, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I notice I do it on those long straight shots where I really have to concentrate 'cause for me, straight shots are a doozy! Anyway, if it rubs against my watchamacallit, I know I'm aligned.

Karatemom
11-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Hi! My cue brushes my chest and my chin. In fact, if I wear a light colored shirt, I'll end up with a big blue mark on one side! I'm nowhere near a professional, but it seems to me that as long as you are comfortable, and you are shooting straight, it shouldn't matter what your cue touches. If there was a wrong way and a right way, then you wouldn't see so many different stances out there.

Heide

Chopstick
11-07-2004, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Pigbrain, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I notice I do it on those long straight shots where I really have to concentrate 'cause for me, straight shots are a doozy! Anyway, if it rubs against my watchamacallit, I know I'm aligned. <hr /></blockquote>

Hah! I knew ya'll were using those to aim with. That's cheatin'.

General Rules of Pocket Billiards #1.3:

Players may not use equipment or accessory items for purposes or in a manner other than those for which the items were intended.

Ross
11-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Good one, Chopstick! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

marktadd
11-07-2004, 08:22 PM
i think its a personal preference based on body built . just what is comfortable . /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif mark hasbeen tadd

Angel_R
11-07-2004, 08:56 PM
If I keep eating the way I do, the cue will be hitting my belly real soon!!! Just kidding, I do not bend all the way down where my chin and or chest touch the cue. I tried that and I did not like it. I have my chin about 6-8 inches above the cue and have no problems seeing the object ball or cue ball for aiming. The only thing I really notice is the cue is square between both eyes as I am aiming.

There are all kinds of different shooters out there with different methods and views as to what is right. I decided a long time ago that I wanted to shoot however way it was comfortable, afterall, if I'm doing good, I'm gonna be bending over a long time shooting games. I don't need back problems or headaches from trying to force myself to shoot an uncomfortable way.

I guess the biggest thing I have learned is keep my cue as level as possible and my stroke smooth. Fundementals is the key. If I'm comfortable in my stance and stroking the cue good, I will seldom miss, but if I'm forcing myself you can bet I'll throw the shot everywhere but the pocket.

I think if you ask anyone in this forum, they will tell you stories of the kinds of strokes they have seen people use while shooting pool. Some of those players still make the shots at the disbelief of others.

GoldenCyn
11-07-2004, 11:54 PM
If i wear a white shirt, i notice a slight smudge where the center of my cue rubs against. If thats what you mean.

Rod
11-08-2004, 12:34 AM
It really depends on a players style. If your a stand up player like myself it never touches my chest. If your down low, most likely it will. There is no set rule.

Rod

BLACKHEART
11-08-2004, 07:58 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifI have always sighted down the cue very low,with my chin or chest touching the cue. Now that I'm older &amp; wear glasses &amp; sight this way, it causes me to look OVER the top of my glasses. This presents a blurry picture of the balls...JER

woody_968
11-08-2004, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Anyway, if it rubs against my watchamacallit, I know I'm aligned. <hr /></blockquote>

When I die I hope I come back as a womens cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman2
11-08-2004, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Anyway, if it rubs against my watchamacallit, I know I'm aligned. <hr /></blockquote>

When I die I hope I come back as a womens cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

With a name like Woody, you better be careful! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Deeman

Chris Cass
11-08-2004, 02:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Anyway, if it rubs against my watchamacallit, I know I'm aligned. <hr /></blockquote>

When I die I hope I come back as a womens cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

What happens if your spiced and piloted and then what? You won't feel so good then, will ya?

HAHAHA,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
11-08-2004, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>
What happens if your spiced and piloted and then what? You won't feel so good then, will ya?

HAHAHA,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

True, that process would be painfull, but arent you familiar with the healing power of those watchamacallits /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
11-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Yes Woody,

You make two valid points there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~not about to go any further on this subject. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

wolfdancer
11-08-2004, 11:55 PM
hopefully, your cue has a rubber bumper on the end...can't be too careful when you're brushing things against..

CarolNYC
11-09-2004, 02:39 AM
Hi there,
Yep-and if I wear a white blouse and play all day, I'll have one "blue boob!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I have to keep wiping down the shaft, if I wear white!

Have a good day!
Carol~has had "blue boob" syndrome!!!!!!

JimS
11-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Hi Jer,

You need some shooting glasses. Now that I got my decots to stay up I like them a lot. Height is adjustable. I also use an elastic strap on my regualar glasses and that keeps them high enough I don't have to look over the top and I put my chin on the cue.

#### leonard
11-09-2004, 06:13 AM
Carol I haven't laughed so hard at a series of post in months. My mother was a beautician so the blue dye runs thru my veins.

Since they separated the posts it has become very serious on the poolplaying side. ####

cycopath
11-09-2004, 01:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>Some men can't even get down on the ball and shoot upright. I did for many yrs. Now, I'm more compact in my stroke...<hr /></blockquote>

Hey C.C.

I found this statement interesting. I have a friend that feels the need to shot standing nearly straight up! I don't mean just casually kind of slightly bending over, I mean straight up. A few people have said things to him questioning his reasoning but he just says that how he's always played, so he continues to play that way. At this point I would consider him a weak SL4 with rare moments of brilliance.

Our league operator pulled me to the side one night, as we watched my friend's match, and said he use to play the same way when he was in his pool playing infancy. He said he only really improved when he started getting low behind the cueball. Now he's a SL7.

Did you see your performance take a leap forward with a lower stance?

How can I convince my friend to at least experiment with the idea of getting low on the ball?

9 Ball Girl
11-09-2004, 02:26 PM
If you only knew what happens to me everytime I break a rack of balls! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Chopstick
11-09-2004, 08:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> If you only knew what happens to me everytime I break a rack of balls! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hmm, Uhhh....81?

9 Ball Girl
11-09-2004, 08:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>Hmm, Uhhh....81? <hr /></blockquote>Um, I don't know what 81 is? Anyway, this is one that only nAz and Tony R. know and that's it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

cueball1950
11-09-2004, 09:59 PM
I wanna be carol's or wendy's cue for a day...lollololololol....mike

Chris Cass
11-10-2004, 03:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>Some men can't even get down on the ball and shoot upright. I did for many yrs. Now, I'm more compact in my stroke...<hr /></blockquote>

Hey C.C.

I found this statement interesting. I have a friend that feels the need to shot standing nearly straight up! I don't mean just casually kind of slightly bending over, I mean straight up. A few people have said things to him questioning his reasoning but he just says that how he's always played, so he continues to play that way. At this point I would consider him a weak SL4 with rare moments of brilliance.

Our league operator pulled me to the side one night, as we watched my friend's match, and said he use to play the same way when he was in his pool playing infancy. He said he only really improved when he started getting low behind the cueball. Now he's a SL7.

Did you see your performance take a leap forward with a lower stance?

How can I convince my friend to at least experiment with the idea of getting low on the ball? <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Cyco,

Actually my stance was very comparable to Mosconi' and some pics of Hoppe. I believe the pic of Scott Leee, JimS and myself shows my old actual stance. I did just fine. By lowering my stance did change things for the better. Not so much on the back but my cue was about 6" under my chin. Now, it's around 4" but my stroke is like a pump so, basically it touches my chin on the followthrough.

Regards,

C.C.~~yes, I do believe I have improved a bit. I think it's mainly due to the stroke trainer so far.

dg-in-centralpa
11-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Sorry, my chest ain't big enough to use. On the other hand, wifey does have rub marks. She's more um...endowed?

DG

dg-in-centralpa
11-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Doesn't blue boob syndrome mean that it's not getting enough oxygen? Maybe your hubby should help you out with this problem.

dg

SPetty
11-10-2004, 04:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>I believe the pic of Scott Lee, JimS and myself shows my old actual stance. <hr /></blockquote> http://www.geocities.com/cincytom314/better_Scott_lee.jpg

Rod
11-11-2004, 01:54 AM
You dawg!

Gayle in MD
11-11-2004, 06:30 AM
Wow, I love that picture. Three great guys, love em all!
Gayle /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stretch
11-11-2004, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hi there,
Yep-and if I wear a white blouse and play all day, I'll have one "blue boob!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I have to keep wiping down the shaft, if I wear white!

Have a good day!
Carol~has had "blue boob" syndrome!!!!!! <hr /></blockquote>

.....So in a way, you are useing your chest as a "stroke trainer". Just let me think about that for a while. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif St. (why do i torcher myself so! LOL)

Chris Cass
11-11-2004, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> I wanna be carol's or wendy's cue for a day...lollololololol....mike <hr /></blockquote>

Well, we'll have to have JER throw you on his leathe for a day. HAHAHAHA

Regards,

C.C.~~can see Mike spinning. lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
11-15-2004, 03:35 AM
Okay my "Sirius"star Stretch&lt;
(You know thats the brightest star you can see,right?

Yes, no stroke trainers-everything "au naturale" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Carol~always gazing at the stars /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CarolNYC
11-15-2004, 03:39 AM
I dont know about that one Duane,
Squeeze the middle of your arm and tell me what color the bottom near your hand turns!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope your at the Skins-I'll be there this weekend! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
11-15-2004, 03:40 AM
DONE! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
love ya,
Carol

CarolNYC
11-15-2004, 03:44 AM
Hi ####,
If I made you smile, then that makes me happy and just wanna say:
Thank you for ALL the knowledge you have been sharing with me-each time I play,you,along with many others are with me,in my heart , in my head or what have you,but THANK you!

Carol