PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Tips on Politics

9 Ball Girl
11-08-2004, 08:05 AM
The last thing anyone needs to do is fight with relatives/friends during the holidays about politics, should the subject come up. Sooo, here are a few pointers:

- Remember that the point is not to change each otherís mind. The goal is to better understand and respect your loved oneís opinions.

- Explore each personís opinions and discuss how his or her life experiences have effected their viewpoints.

- When you disagree, instead of belittling peopleís viewpoints ("Thatís ridiculous!"), try being respectful ("I hear what youíre saying. From my perspective, I see it differently".).

- Avoid name calling.

- Breathe!

- Take a time out if things get too heated.

- Refrain from discussing politics at holidays or special occasions.

- At the end of the conversation, agree to disagree. And thank your relative for taking the time to share their thoughts and listen to yours.

dtomasi
11-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Excellent advice Wendy. In fact, I believe it's a good philosophy for the entire year. I would like to see more folks try it out.

BTW - I was able to read the your post on the parody of the Gloria Gaynor tune before it was removed. It caught me by surprise, and unfortunately for me, I had just taken a sip of morning coffee which proceeded to forcefully make its way out of my nostrils as I was ROTFLMAO. Did you make that up or did you acquire it from another source. Either way, thanks for making my day.

DaveT - the worst pool player ever to be permitted to pick up a cue.

9 Ball Girl
11-08-2004, 10:35 AM
That parody was sent to me by a friend. I'm going to have to dig through my email messages to find it again.

eg8r
11-08-2004, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Refrain from discussing politics at holidays or special occasions.
<hr /></blockquote> This should be number one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

wolfdancer
11-08-2004, 11:15 AM
But, what if they're ****'ng Republicans?????

wolfdancer
11-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Dave, before you lay claim to any pool title,you should have proven it in an actual competition....I'd like to challange you to a match, race to eleven, to prove that you are, indeed, equal to your assertion. But, be forewarned, my friends claim I can't run three balls, even if they spot me the first two......say, maybe we should put a time limit on the match...

wolfdancer
11-08-2004, 11:31 AM
I'd like to read that myself...
I went to freetranslations.com....not knowing any Spanish myself, except "Maricon". Why can't the Mexicans get the word right and just call me "American"?
Anyway, submitting the Spanish under your pix, I got:
" The to want my error was it, my white kiss deliver Him, Like the girl I gave him my love, AND I expect me a disillusion. "
It's like a short story, right? ...Love, sex, then it's over
Wham, Bam, thank you Maa'm

dtomasi
11-08-2004, 11:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Dave, before you lay claim to any pool title,you should have proven it in an actual competition....I'd like to challange you to a match, race to eleven, to prove that you are, indeed, equal to your assertion. But, be forewarned, my friends claim I can't run three balls, even if they spot me the first two......say, maybe we should put a time limit on the match... <hr /></blockquote>

My claim is solely based on the general consensus of those who have witnessed my ability. So, that would make my claim a very local one indeed. Therefore, I concede the national title to those more worthy. However, if you ever find yourself in the Baltimore area, I would be pleased to accept your challenge. The time limit is a good idea, and I think that a valid decision could be rendered in a race to one.

DaveT - Can't even be the best at being the worst

Wally_in_Cincy
11-08-2004, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> But, what if they're ****'ng Republicans????? <hr /></blockquote>

It's none of my business who they are ****ing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wolfdancer
11-08-2004, 12:25 PM
touche!!! lol
not bad fer a Buckeye

wolfdancer
11-08-2004, 12:32 PM
I went to school in Baltimore....the old Southern hotel had been converted to:
The Calhoun MEBA school (which sounds like sum'n out of "Amos n Andy"....Calhoun was the pres of the MEBA)....9 Light St. which was a short walk to the "Block" district. Even had my name on a plaque near the entrance.
The building is probably gone by now, but how about the "Block"???

9 Ball Girl
11-08-2004, 01:16 PM
Actually, what that means is:

To love him was a mistake
I handed him my pure kiss blanco means white but in this case it means pure
Like a girl I gave him my love
And what waited for me was a betrayal

wolfdancer
11-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Exactly what I wrote....well, almost 'xactly