PDA

View Full Version : Loud Music in Billiard Clubs

NBC-BOB
11-08-2004, 01:04 PM
I played at a club this weekend that's very nice, but the music was so loud,I couldn't concentrate.Now I find this very annoying,and it seems that most of the clubs in my area, play the music very loud, and at times I can feel the vibration,on the table.Now maybe it's because I'm part of the over fifty crowd and just becoming a grouchy old man.
But is it just me, or do some of the younger crowd, find the loud music annoying.I like a little backround music, of any style.Just ranting and wishing I could find a nice club, with no smoking and soft music.

9 Ball Girl
11-08-2004, 01:39 PM
I'm no longer of that whipper snapper crowd but at 30, loud music definitely bothers me while I'm playing, even if it's music that I like. I went to one room once where the music was so loud and had to actually lean into the person's ear to speak to them. I find that most of the places that play loud music like that cater to the bangers that are there to kill time before watching a movie, or the inevitable couples where the BFs, gripping the cue like a bat, "teach" their GF how to play. Ugh. Anyway, there seems to be more ball bangers than players in any given room nowadays. At least that's what I've noticed. And God help us if and when they start playing cRAP music, all the wangstas (slang for wannabe gangster) come out.

SpiderMan
11-08-2004, 01:41 PM
I keep a pair of the foam shooter's earplugs in my console. For whatever reason, I seem to be able to hear conversation better with them in than out, assuming the background was too high.

SpiderMan

SPetty
11-08-2004, 02:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I keep a pair of the foam shooter's earplugs in my console. <hr /></blockquote>Wouldn't they work better in your ears? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman2
11-08-2004, 02:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I keep a pair of the foam shooter's earplugs in my console. <hr /></blockquote>Wouldn't they work better in your ears? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Contents of Spirder's Belt Pack:

Two (2) foam ear plugs.
Breath mints, just in case.
Coleman's Barbeque sandwich (circa 1973)
Elvis TCB Keychain
344 quarters
Steam driven, piston powered, jump cue
12 spare tips taken from live endangered species
Just for Men, touch up kit
Scott Lee's used chewing gum
A get well card for Arafat, unsigned
tons and tons of silk thread, unprocessed....

Deeman
Will be sorry for this at PettyPoint in two weeks.....

Chris Cass
11-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Hi Bob,

I too am like you but that's why 9 ball is the game now instead of straight pool. You think you got it bad? Lastnight I'm playing straight pool with my wife. I'm in the middle of a run. I just ran 59 balls. The counterman, sent a group of 4 kids on the next table to mine. I turn around to put my cue down and take a drink of pop.

My wife starts racking the balls and this brainless idiot kid walks over, takes the break shot ball and rolls it down to my wife while she's racking. I turned and was so pi$$ed. Why the hell he do something like that? Now, I know the kid was trying to be nice or something but give me a break.

First, doesn't he think I'm going to help my wife out with the rack if she needed the balls passed down to her? Then, why would he think she couldn't do it herself? Why, would he think she wouldn't take the ball first if she was beginning to rack. Most of all, Why would he think anyone in their right mind would play 8 ball on a 9fter? Why, the heck would he get involved with a couple. This kid had no business even looking at my table let alone touch my dang balls.

Man, I just grabed the balls, loaded them up in the tray and left. Nice is nice and respectful is not, trying to get into other peoples business. I knew better anyway. You just can't play a game of straight pool nowdays unless, you do it during the morning hrs. Besides, the music is for 9 ball players.

Regards,

C.C.~~still po'd.

SpiderMan
11-08-2004, 02:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> [
Contents of Spider's Belt Pack:

Two (2) foam ear plugs.
Breath mints, just in case.
Coleman's Barbeque sandwich (circa 1973)
<hr /></blockquote>

Dammit, Dee, you're makin' me hungry and I've got 2 more hours here at work!

ps - you forgot about the .40 Glock /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

cycopath
11-08-2004, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> ps - you forgot about the .40 Glock <hr /></blockquote>

Get a 1911, you won't feel as paranoid. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ives
11-08-2004, 03:23 PM
The place I play is usually full of teens. And yes the music is really loud. They have a digital juke box with speakers all around the room. There is occassionally a break in the music when no one has paid for any songs. The volume of the music is annoying but i figure im the minority in this situation being the old guy at 41. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

landshark77
11-08-2004, 04:19 PM
You guys aren't gonna like me, but I am 27 and like the music loud. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Sorry...well, no I'm not. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I can settle for quiet background music, but something has to be playing. And the louder the better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

HallofFame
11-08-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi everybody,

Move to Scranton, go to Maggie's; as was said in The Hustler "...just pool". There's times when you can hear a pin drop.

For all you aspiring "road dogs", this is where the big guns hang out; come a try your luck /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Joe

Vagabond
11-09-2004, 06:48 AM
Hi Land Shark,
I can handle it loud if it is Blue Grass or Techno.What is your liking?Cheers
Vagabond

#### leonard
11-09-2004, 07:07 AM
NBC-BOB, This goes back in time but in Bulgaria,they would teach their school children with Johann Sebastion Bach music in the background. The 2-4-2 beat of his music was turning the school children into near geniuses.

They called the method Sophralogy,my spelling might be off on that but someone had written a book on the system. I have never heard of it used in the U.S.

I know that Muszak in the background with its light classical music made me play much better than any radio with commercials.

I played in some tourneys with ear plugs, trying to shut down the loud noise but there is a part of your game that is reflected in the sound that your tip makes hitting the cueball.####

landshark77
11-09-2004, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Hi Land Shark,
I can handle it loud if it is Blue Grass or Techno.What is your liking?Cheers
Vagabond <hr /></blockquote>

I really can not tolerate Techno, but anything else is fine. I prefer some genre of Rock or Country, but Hip Hop works too. Right now the 3 songs that are on the Juke that I play the most are Flake by Jack Johnson, Suds in the Bucket by Sara Evens, and Boat Drinks by Mr. Jimmy Buffett himself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif But anything really. It helps me focus and relax me.

SpiderMan
11-09-2004, 08:26 AM
I have several, but prefer to carry the Glock.

SpiderMan

houseman
11-09-2004, 10:59 AM
There are not many actual pool rooms left for pool players, most have become rec centers for people to meet friends and kill time.
I personally dont like loud music or noise while playing but then again im 56 yrs old. In my room I have xm-radio for music, we play blues all day for the regulars and mild 70-80s rock after 8 pm. And all at a volume level thats very acceptable and I will not turn it up for anyone.
All my customers are used to this and just accept it or not.
thats why they have vanilla and chocolate so you have a choice.

Boy that felt good.

Chopstick
11-09-2004, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Bob,

My wife starts racking the balls and this brainless idiot kid walks over, takes the break shot ball and rolls it down to my wife while she's racking.

<hr /></blockquote>

I was practicing during the day in a pool room in Columbia, SC when this guy comes in with a bunch of pre-schoolers which he proceeded to let run loose while he did something else. I was trying to flag down a waitress for a coke. I couldn't get any attention so I put down my stick on the table and walked a couple of tables down to order. When I turned around this kid had my stick waving it around in the air over the table. Daddy is nowhere in sight. Now you wanna talk about Po'd.

NBC-BOB
11-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Well it seems that the majority doesn't prefer loud music.
When I started playing some 40 yrs or more,I remember the houseman yelling at us kids to keep the noise down, and we were whispering ha-ha.Anyway I wish there was a nice room around my area without the loud music,but that's life.And a few of you,picked up on my game style.Which is only straight pool.But thanks all for the nice reply's.

cycopath
11-09-2004, 01:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I have several, but prefer to carry the Glock.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

The weight factor?

I'm just not a Glock fan. Really I'm not much of a plastic gun fan at all. I have a couple Sigs with alloy frames, that's as close as my collection comes to a "non-steel" firearm.

You can't beat a 1911 though. Best damn handgun ever designed... ever! I love em.

It's a shame I haven't been shooting in a few years.

9 Ball Girl
11-09-2004, 02:35 PM
The only pool room that I've been to that was playing the music at a decent level, and to top it off, it was all Classic Rock (my fav music for pool), was at Q-Master Billiards in Virginia Beach. The ambiance was great too. Nothing but poolplayers. Real poolplayers. Of course, it was all during the Open...

WaltVA
11-09-2004, 03:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> You can't beat a 1911 though. Best damn handgun ever designed... ever! I love em.
<hr /></blockquote>
Amen! Simple, reliable, and effective - given good ammo and minimal maintenance, they work every time when you need them. Though I finally compromised on an alloy-frame Para P13-45 for daily carry, and save my full size steel-frames for the range.

Walt in VA

Chris Cass
11-09-2004, 05:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> The only pool room that I've been to that was playing the music at a decent level, and to top it off, it was all Classic Rock (my fav music for pool), was at Q-Master Billiards in Virginia Beach. The ambiance was great too. Nothing but poolplayers. Real poolplayers. Of course, it was all during the Open... <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Wendy,

You know your right. The music level there was really pretty good. It felt very comfortable in there whether gambling or just playing some. I liked the music too. Some I haven't heard in a longtime and kind of wished they played a little blues.

I can pretty much play in any type music environment if I'm playing banks, 9 ball, 8 ball and a few other games but when it comes to straight pool or one pocket I much prefer not to hear anything loud or pounding. Blues is great for those games or something that doesn't get too ear pounding.

I did like Q-Masters environment. I also think they do take things a bit too seriously there too as far as talking to other players a table or 2 over. It's not like it's a library.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
11-09-2004, 05:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>
I was practicing during the day in a pool room in Columbia, SC when this guy comes in with a bunch of pre-schoolers which he proceeded to let run loose while he did something else. I was trying to flag down a waitress for a coke. I couldn't get any attention so I put down my stick on the table and walked a couple of tables down to order. When I turned around this kid had my stick waving it around in the air over the table. Daddy is nowhere in sight. Now you wanna talk about Po'd. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with you there buddy. I hate like hell when a customer comes in and heads to the bar. Sits there all day and lets his kids run the place, unattended. I'm not a baby sitter and if they're behaved? Then, I don't mind at all but if they start to run around and go nutso. I'm all over it. I've even gone so far as to go and the bar and ask who's kids are these?

I feel it's their job to watch their kids, not mine. I also feel if they need to drink instead of spending quality time with their kids then they should atleast drink in the section they leave their kid in. I don't mind and can see someone that would bring their kid in and have a beer for a refreshment before going home but I've had couples that been coming in for yrs now. They'll both come in and let the kid do whatever he wants. Then, if the kid messes up they're like all over him. Why is this the kids fault?

I almost called DCFS one day. My worst nightmare. I hate the thought of having to do that. The kid is left alone and both of them drinking till they're drunk and then manhandle the kid outside. I was so made I wanted to get into the guys face. I told the owner as to what I wanted to do and the guys his reg. he told me he'd handle it because the 2 other kids they have had already been taken away.

Well, that's another thread and just one more thing in the way of disrespecting others rights to do things that adults do. Like trying to go out and have a good time without disturbing anyone from having theirs too.

Regards,

C.C.~~nothings changed, the kid only got bigger. I see the kid moving out at 18. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

landshark77
11-09-2004, 05:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>
I almost called DCFS one day. My worst nightmare. I hate the thought of having to do that. The kid is left alone and both of them drinking till they're drunk and then manhandle the kid outside. <hr /></blockquote>

Of course the took the bus/train/cab, right? Or they stayed until they were sober?

Nothing that I hate more than loser parents who don't parent. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Sorry to get off of the subject.

Chris Cass
11-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Actually, the guy lifted the kid up into the truck and shoved him in through the drivers side to the passenger side of the vehicle. The Mom stayed in the bar. The guy is not even his father. She lost a few kids that weren't from the same guy either. This guy made me so mad I was on my way out of my car as I was leaving. My wife draged me back into the car and told me to talk to my boss about it. So, I was reluctant but did.

Later on I seen this guy many times going into the john and coming out playing with his nose. I've seen him doing this for 2 yrs now. I'm not stupid. The Mom of the kid is always nice to the boy but lets this jerkwad do whatever he wants. I can see this kid beating him when he gets big and older. Can't wait to scrape him off the ground and tell him that he deserves every bit of it.

This kind of behavior makes me tell many real men out there in the world that takes kids that aren't their own and treat them as if they were that they are special. it really takes a special person whether men or women to do something like that. It takes nothing to be a dirtbag.

Regards,

C.C.

buddha162
11-10-2004, 04:32 AM
Speaking of kids in ph's, a few months ago me and Nostroke were shooting around in the afternoon and there was a birthday party for a 30-strong group of 5 year olds.

They were all over the place, yelling, screaming, running around our table. One little girl was holding her cue like a joust and sprinting from one corner of the room to the other. Almost skewered the bday boy's grandmother right through the gut.

A harrowing experience that left both of us traumatized for some time afterwards. The room owner (OCD if I've ever seen one) must've spawned a hellish ulcer that day...

-Roger

catscradle
11-10-2004, 06:02 AM
The place I played in last night announced it was Jeannine's birthday (whoever the h-e-double-hockey-sticks she is) and proceeded to break into happy birthday over the loud speakers. The place is full of loud kids half in the bag wondering around in your line of shot, hanging around 3 feet from your table well you're trying to shoot a match. I just moved up this way and have to find another place other than kiddy land. For the time being, I'm stuck with it and this league.
Oh yeah, the music is too loud too. I'd personally like classical music or jazz or none at all, but I'd settle for classic rock at a reasonable volume.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-10-2004, 07:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> The only pool room that I've been to that was playing the music at a decent level, and to top it off, it was all Classic Rock (my fav music for pool), was at Q-Master Billiards in Virginia Beach. The ambiance was great too. Nothing but poolplayers. Real poolplayers. Of course, it was all during the Open... <hr /></blockquote>

Wendy, I was going to mention that too. It was XM classic rock, no commercials, and It wasn't the same old crap you hear on broadcast classic rock stations.

The volume was perfect. If anybody wants to find the perfect musical ambience go to Q-Masters

IMO

Wally_in_Cincy
11-10-2004, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> Speaking of kids in ph's, a few months ago me and Nostroke were shooting around in the afternoon and there was a birthday party for a 30-strong group of 5 year olds. <hr /></blockquote>

How about a 5-strong group of 30-year-olds /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The only time I have actually left Snookers in Cincy due to noise was a going-away party somebody was having at Friday happy hour.

These women were getting drunker and drunker and laughing (screaming and shrieking) louder and louder. It was awful. It gave me the first headache I have had in a year.

SpiderMan
11-10-2004, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> You can't beat a 1911 though. Best damn handgun ever designed... ever! I love em.
<hr /></blockquote>
Amen! Simple, reliable, and effective - given good ammo and minimal maintenance, they work every time when you need them. Though I finally compromised on an alloy-frame Para P13-45 for daily carry, and save my full size steel-frames for the range.
Walt in VA <hr /></blockquote>

I have a series 70 GC that I use for target shooting and plinking, and a custom built on an AMT frame, but neither appeals to me for concealed carry. Both would be high on the list if we were required to open carry, as would be my S&amp;W DA .45. The Glock has many of the advantages of a DA hammerless revolver, but with extra firepower and a better trigger. All it lacks is a restrike capability, such as provided by true DA semiautos, but in ten years of shooting many thousands of rounds I've never had a failure to fire so maybe that will never come up anyway. Oops - forgot about the K-tel (Kel-Tec) .32 my roommate bought a few years ago. What a POS, it had unresolved reliability issues until he finally gave it away (light primer strike about 1 or 2 out of every clip, ie failure to fire). Returned to factory twice but it always came back with the same problem. Lifetime warranty = you spend the rest of your life sending it back to the factory. You might be better off throwing it at someone. He finally gave it away and bought a Tomcat, which worked flawlessly.

SpiderMan

cycopath
11-11-2004, 02:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>I have a series 70 GC that I use for target shooting and plinking, and a custom built on an AMT frame...

The Gold Cups are very nice. I still have a few 1911s, but I do regret getting rid of the Series 70 I had. It was very clean and I sold the thing WAY too cheap.

I once had a AMT Javelina 10mm Longslide. It started to show some excessive wear between the slide and frame rails so I sold it and got a Delta Elite. Much happier with the Colt.

Both would be high on the list if we were required to open carry...

I'm not sure what that statement means...?

The Glock has many of the advantages of a DA hammerless revolver, but with extra firepower and a better trigger.

Have you put the 3.5lb trigger in it? That's probably the best upgrade there is for a Glock. Everyone I've spoke to that's done it has loved it.

Oops - forgot about the K-tel (Kel-Tec) .32

Now that's funny. LOL.

He finally gave it away and bought a Tomcat, which worked flawlessly.

You can't hardly beat those pocket sized Berettas. Excellent pistols.
<hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
11-11-2004, 02:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>Both would be high on the list if we were required to open carry...
<hr /></blockquote>
I'm not sure what that statement means...?

<hr /></blockquote>

The procedures for "going armed" as a private citizen vary state-by-state. In Texas, concealment of the weapon is required by law. The 1911 is a great gun for a gunfighter, ie someone who is free to pack it openly cocked-and-locked, as a soldier might in a belt, thigh, or external shoulder holster. For something to be drawn from concealment in a fanny pack, by a non-professional fighter, the Glock gets my vote for the proper mix of readiness, firepower, and safety.

BTW, I am very much in favor of the concealment statute. Since only a small percentage of the population chooses to go armed, it prevents them from being easily identified. A criminal perpetrator can never be certain whether HIS chosen victim (or a bystander) might be packing.

SpiderMan

cycopath
11-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Ok, Now I understand. Alabama's carry permits are concealed only, so I never think about the open carry.

Ever seen the Kahr pistols. Pretty nice for a slimline hammerless conceal carry pistol. I've been drooling for one ever since they came out. Haven't had one pawned to me yet... yet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

buddha162
11-12-2004, 03:08 AM
Okay, I have a question for the firearm experts here. I'm looking to buy, since I might move down to New Brunswick for a year to finish school, and that is not a pleasant town by any means.

So, if I wanted a reliable, no non-sense pistol for home protection (strapped to the underside of a coffee table, for instance), what would you recommend? I was thinking some kind of revolver, but the few times I shot a revolver I had a hard time keeping my aim w/o cocking the damned thing, ie the force it takes me to pull the trigger with the gun uncocked seemed drastic.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Roger

PQQLK9
11-12-2004, 03:57 AM
I would protect my home with a 12 guage shotgun. (no aiming required)

SpiderMan
11-12-2004, 08:57 AM
If you are a relatively non-expert user of firearms looking for a home-protection handgun (ie something for the bedside), a good double-action revolver is an excellent choice for your first gun (there will be more later, assuming the bug bites you). There are no safety mechanisms to worry about when you're less than fully awake, almost zero risk of accidental discharge, you can swing out the cylinder to instantly verify whether it's loaded, and it can stay "ready to fire" forever without worrying about magazine or hammer springs being under tension. Just pick it up and pull the trigger. Yes, the double-action pull will take some getting used to, but if you wake to find someone in the room with you then minute-of-angle aiming is not what you need anyway. You can practice your trigger technique with an empty gun until you are able to hold it fairly steady while working the mechanism. Aim your EMPTY gun at spots on the wall while pulling the trigger and holding as steady as possible.

I'm sure others will have their favorites, but if you're looking for a first gun that will mainly be kept in the house, I'd recommend a medium-frame revolver from Smith&amp;Wesson, Ruger, or Taurus, in .357 magnum caliber (you can also shoot lighter .38 special reloads for economical plinking fun), with a 3- or 4-inch barrel. Get an adjustable-sights model if you think you may want to do some plinking at bottles/cans/rats at the local dumpyard. The S&amp;W model I'd recommend would be the 586 or 686, or in Ruger the GP100. I own both, and can vouch for their quality. Sorry, I don't recall the Taurus numbers offhand. All three guns carry a lifetime warranty. Is that specific enough? Buy it new, used guns don't drop that much in value and if you don't know what to look for on revolvers you can get stuck trying to save only a little.

This is pretty non-pool-related, maybe you might want to start a discussion on the other page.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
11-12-2004, 09:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> I would protect my home with a 12 guage shotgun. (no aiming required) <hr /></blockquote>

Hopefully you were joking, but I'll respond as if you weren't because this is a common misconception about shotguns.

A shotgun is like any other gun, it shoots only where it is aimed. At 10 feet away in your bedroom, the shot will still be a semi-solid slug, spreading maybe a couple of inches depending on your barrel and gauge. Using a shotgun to "sweep the room" is a myth, it doesn't do anything close to that and believing otherwise could get you killed. But, if you aim and hit someone, they will certainly be in a world of hurt!

And there is the "fear factor" - looking down the barrel of a loaded 12-gauge could probably make someone crap his pants, especially if the bearer were an agitated/angry homeowner who would be within his rights to shoot.

SpiderMan

cycopath
11-12-2004, 01:21 PM
38spl 2" revolver. Taurus or Rossi both make excellent guns for a first timer. If you want to spend more than $300 than a Smith &amp; Wesson or Ruger would be an excellent choice.

buddha162
11-14-2004, 07:12 AM
Thanks alot for the suggestions. I've written down the models you mentioned and will look into them when and if I do move into that nasty neighborhood.

If I have any more questions I'll ask them in the npr section.

Thanks again,
Roger