PDA

View Full Version : ESPN smartens up!

Alex_Delodge
11-08-2004, 09:37 PM
I can barely watch pool on ESPN with that smarmy fucktard Laurence doing the commentary. He's a walking dentists drill, a bloated bag of hot air who knows nothing about the game and talks and talks and talks in circles and says nothing that could interest anyone in the game because he has no insight.

Well maybe I'm way out of the loop cause I barely watch television pool but I just caught a bit of a match on ESPN and they had Billy Incardona doing the commentary! What happened? Did ESPN get half a clue? Yes, yes, yes! Now all they need to do is fire the camera director, pile all those pocket cams somewhere and set them on fire, and hire Pat Fleming.

Nostroke
11-08-2004, 10:29 PM
I can't (well actually i can) believe Barry at the award ceremonies said " i have the dubious distinction of welcoming the 19th individual winner of the US open to the elite club.."

cueball1950
11-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Post deleted by cueball1950

Tom_In_Cincy
11-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Pat Flemming of AccuStats is the big reason that the 2004 US Open TV exposure is superior to previous offerings.

The WPBA announcers are picked by the WPBA and local camera crews do the tapings at their events.

Pat Flemming had been producing quality filming of pool matches since 1987 and each year they get better.

ESPN has nothing to do with the productions or the announcers, ESPN just provided the air time.

wolfdancer
11-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Uh....dubious....might not quite be as positive as, well as..... distinct

Bob_Jewett
11-08-2004, 11:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Uh....dubious....might not quite be as positive as, well as..... distinct <hr /></blockquote>
Reminds me of a carom author who thanked all his friends, "too onerous to mention." Maybe that's what he meant, or maybe not.

Photoguy
11-09-2004, 02:19 AM
If you watched a pool match with Billy Incardona doing the commentary, then most likely it was a match where Pat Fleming was the camera director as you call it - and with those pocket cams you are so fond of. Be careful what you wish for . . .

JimS
11-09-2004, 06:04 AM
Barry was pretty excited it seemed.

On the subject of announcers...

I'm surprised no one mentioned Jim Wyche. He drives me nuts with his "excited" tone...and I know he's taken that down a couple of notches but he still drives me up a wall. I can barely manage to listen to it...AND he never shuts up!!

Last night I scared the hell out of my dog when, out of the blue, I yelled out.."Shut the hell up and let me watch!" I hadn't realized how upset I was getting having to listen to his constant mouth running excited over the top crap until I yelled at him.

I liked Danny and Mark Wilson on Bcn and The Derby City thingee. I'd like to hear Billy and Mark, or Grady and Mark, or Buddy and Mark. I liked Mark Wilson's work!!

Leave out the phony exciting tone. It's stupid and condescending and...well...phony!

ragin1
11-09-2004, 06:33 AM
Simple answer people. Turn off the volume. I do it all the time. I admit I cranked it when Julie beat Allison. She deserved to be heard.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-09-2004, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Barry was pretty excited it seemed.

<font color="blue">I'm sure he was extremely happy to have a successful tournament with no terrorist attacks, hurricanes, Charlie Williams boycotts, etc. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

I'm surprised no one mentioned Jim Wyche. He drives me nuts with his "excited" tone...and I know he's taken that down a couple of notches but he still drives me up a wall. I can barely manage to listen to it...AND he never shuts up!!

<font color="blue">He was bad. Too loud and too much yakking. It seems in the past he was not that bad. Maybe I just never noticed. Maybe he's trying to mimic Sid Waddel. </font color>

...I liked Mark Wilson's work!!

<font color="blue">Yep. He's easy to listen to and very knowledgable. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Chopstick
11-09-2004, 08:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Barry was pretty excited it seemed.

<font color="blue">I'm sure he was extremely happy to have a successful tournament with no terrorist attacks, hurricanes, Charlie Williams boycotts, etc. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

<font color="blue">He was bad. Too loud and too much yakking. It seems in the past he was not that bad. Maybe I just never noticed. Maybe he's trying to mimic Sid Waddel. </font color>

...I liked Mark Wilson's work!!

<font color="blue">Yep. He's easy to listen to and very knowledgable. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

What's the Charlie Williams boycott? I never heard about that.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-09-2004, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>What's the Charlie Williams boycott? I never heard about that. <hr /></blockquote>

In 2001, due to the 9/11 attack and subsequent low attendance, Behrman could not pay all the "guaranteed" money out. I think the players got about 50% of what the stated payouts were.

The next year CW tried to get the UPA players to boycott the Open because Barry would not put the money in escrow up front.

If I remember everything correctly.

daviddjmp
11-09-2004, 11:23 AM
I have a collection of the Accu-Stats Straight Pool tapes, and without a doubt Billy Incardona is one of the best. There is a great match between Oliver Ortmann and Jim Rempe and a guy named Chris Lynch commentates, and he is very good as well. Nick Varner is probably my favorite and he teams up with Billy on a number of the tapes-

cuechick
11-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Chris is a house pro at Amsterdam and also runs the leagues. He is a nice guy and a very knowledgeable player.

Alex_Delodge
11-10-2004, 06:17 AM
<font color="blue">i have the dubious distinction of welcoming the 19th individual winner of the US open to the elite club.</font color>

HaHA!

<font color="blue">ESPN has nothing to do with the productions or the announcers, ESPN just provided the air time.</font color>

If that's the case (and I'm not doubting you) I just lost a lot of respect for the "WPBA." Putting aside the fact that he's so annyong in other ways. How could real pool players allow an announcer like Laurence who says kick when he means bank, and says "that's a hard shot" (when it's a duck [and Alan Hopkins has to correct him]), and then says "luckily it's right next to the pocket so its easy" (when its incredibly deep in the pocket and position is dicey as hell) and so on, be there announcer?

<font color="blue">If you watched a pool match with Billy Incardona doing the commentary, then most likely it was a match where Pat Fleming was the camera director as you call it - and with those pocket cams you are so fond of. Be careful what you wish for . . .</font color>

I only saw a few minutes of that match, but I have 50 or so Accustats tapes, and I trust Mr. Fleming with doing camera work that allows to to watch the game effecively.

<font color="blue">Simple answer people. Turn off the volume.</font color>

I can't watch pool without hearing the balls. It's an essential part of the game experience, and we take in lots of subtle information from the way the shots sound.

<font color="blue">The next year CW tried to get the UPA players to boycott the Open because Barry would not put the money in escrow up front.
</font color>

Didn't know about that and I don't know the man but he pissed me off at when he beat Reyes last year at Master Billiards in Queens, NY. Sharked him to hell and back.

<font color="blue">There is a great match between Oliver Ortmann and Jim Rempe and a guy named Chris Lynch commentates, and he is very good as well. Nick Varner is probably my favorite and he teams up with Billy on a number of the tapes </font color>

Chris is a very knowledgable player--used to work at Chelsea Billiards (Manhattan) before they turned it into a night club.

BLACKHEART
11-10-2004, 06:53 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifI'd take Lawrance &amp; anybody else over Wyche &amp; Incardona. I thought they were terrible...JER

dmgwalsh
11-10-2004, 08:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> I have a collection of the Accu-Stats Straight Pool tapes, and without a doubt Billy Incardona is one of the best. There is a great match between Oliver Ortmann and Jim Rempe and a guy named Chris Lynch commentates, and he is very good as well. Nick Varner is probably my favorite and he teams up with Billy on a number of the tapes- <hr /></blockquote>

I probably have the same collection and Incardona is pretty good on all of them. I heard Larry Schwartz on a Souquet/Archer match and he was pretty good, too.

Chris Cass
11-10-2004, 02:51 PM
He whines pretty good too. lol

C.C.

Chris Cass
11-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Hi JER,

I like Grady and that guy Danny from NY. The one that stayed at Voodoo' house and shoots with Steve. I caught him on some one pocket tapes from DCC and he was 100% on every call. I liked the way he thinks. I think Steve Lipsky would make a good one too but he's got that type voice that will make you like anything he says. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

thirtyeyes
11-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Funny. I also hate the pocket cam. It is annoying and nearly useless. I also wonder why they can't get a better camera in the ceiling, you can hardly tell what the balls are until they do the little animation thing with the numbers.

I also think its silly how they're always pushing the nicknames...like the Duchess of Doom and the Striking Viking...WTF.

PQQLK9
11-12-2004, 03:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thirtyeyes:</font><hr>
I also think its silly how they're always pushing the nicknames...like the Duchess of Doom and the Striking Viking...WTF. <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you, I too think it is silly. I wonder who it really appeals to.

JimS
11-12-2004, 06:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote thirtyeyes:</font><hr>
I also think its silly how they're always pushing the nicknames...like the Duchess of Doom and the Striking Viking...WTF. <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you, I too think it is silly. I wonder who it really appeals to.

<hr /></blockquote>

AMEN...AMEN..AMEN!! How juvenile can you get?! But then it fits with Mitch and/or Wych being the announcer.

Alex_Delodge
11-12-2004, 06:09 AM
[regarding the nicknames] I wonder who it really appeals to.

Boston Shorty's friends called him "Shorty." New York Fats' Friends called him "Fats." Jersey Breits Friends called him "Red."

Does any of us think that Jeanette Lee's friends called her "Blackey," "Widow," Or Black Widow"?

The names don't work because they're stuck on monikers, obviously made up in some attempt to conform to some idea about how pool players should be known.

I think it appeals to no one and is a misplaced idea about what people expect to hear.

Ives
11-12-2004, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thirtyeyes:</font><hr> I also wonder why they can't get a better camera in the ceiling, you can hardly tell what the balls are until they do the little animation thing with the numbers.

<hr /></blockquote>

Have to agree with ya 100 % on this one. I have a 65 inch hdtv with digital satellite and still can't make out which ball is which. When tha camera switches to the floor you can see them all clearly. Someone needs to spend a little money and upgrade either there camera or there lighting from the overhead shots.

PQQLK9
11-12-2004, 06:49 AM
<hr /></blockquote>I have a 65 inch hdtv with digital satellite<hr /></blockquote>

Is that thing TURBOCHARGED /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif?
Quote from "My Cousin Vinnie"

SnakebyteXX
11-12-2004, 07:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I also hate the pocket cam... its silly how they're always pushing the nicknames...like the Duchess of Doom and the Striking Viking...WTF. <hr /></blockquote>

Pocket cams suck out loud. AS IF I needed to see the nine ball rolling straight at me and into the pocket from slate bed level? It's like putting a 'Net Cam' inside a soccer goal in direct line with an incoming scoring ball. WHOOSH! You see the soccer ball come flying in to the net. Now what? Show me the angle of the shot and how the cue ball has been struck at least that TELLS me something that I can learn from or appreciate.

As to the pretentious nicknames? That feels more like a marketing ploy and someone's idea of a promotional gimmick to spice up the game than anything else. Kind of a bastardization of the historic use of nicknames for pool hustlers and the schmaltzy naming conventions of the World Wrestling Federation.

When I hear "Dutchess of Doom" meets the "Black Widow" some small part of me expects to see them whack each other over the head with a folding chair at some point during the match.

Snake

Steve Lipsky
11-12-2004, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I think Steve Lipsky would make a good one too but he's got that type voice that will make you like anything he says. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the info Chris. I will be telling Gina tonight about all her new responsibilities around the house. In case it doesn't quite work out as intended, I'm sending her your way, buddy. You should play it safe and hide now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd actually like to hear Spike do some commentary. He'd charm the socks off all of us.

- Steve