PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Rod
05-18-2002, 09:03 PM
"Shallow men believe in luck, believe in circumstances -- it was somebody's name, or he happened to be there at the time, or it was so then, and another day would have been otherwise. Strong men believe in cause and effect."

I happen to believe in the last sentence.

Just wondering for those of you that post about luck and the pool gods.

cheesemouse
05-18-2002, 09:19 PM
Rod,
I'm torn between cause and effect being the standard to which all physical actions can be attributed but then I can't account for the things I've witnessed in pool that only the pool gods could have caused. Its a mystery too me... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

05-19-2002, 12:16 AM
Rod, been thinking about your post here for awhile now. Emerson sure does make you think, doesn't he? I too am a believer of cause and effect, but I think that we humans need to allow ourselves the luxury of blaming luck or the pool gods once in a while. We could drive ourselves nuts if we didn't.

I remember once when I tripped on the way to the table, lost the lag, lost the first game, then lost the match on the hill. If I hadn't tripped, would I have been in a different mindset and won the lag and the first game, and maybe changed the outcome of the match? Would my opponent not have lucked in a 9 had I not tripped and lost the lag?

Should I have worn different shoes? Ha!

It can go on and on if you let it. I guess sometimes we just have to say to ourselves, ok, whatever, and just move on.

Thanks for the thought provoking post.

Fran

Tom_In_Cincy
05-19-2002, 09:26 AM
Nothing wrong about being Strong and Shallow.. great combination..
Emerson.. didn't play pool either.

Life isn't about choices, its about how you make them.

Alfie
05-19-2002, 10:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> "Shallow men believe in luck, believe in circumstances -- it was somebody's name, or he happened to be there at the time, or it was so then, and another day would have been otherwise. Strong men believe in cause and effect."

I happen to believe in the last sentence.

Just wondering for those of you that post about luck and the pool gods.

<hr></blockquote>
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
or the variation
"The more I practice, the luckier I get."

stickman
05-19-2002, 10:32 AM
Some things in pool can only be attributed to luck, irregardless of one's preparation, execution or whatever. When someone shoots the nine at a pocket and misses, and the ball rolls around the table and falls in another pocket, it can't be because of skill, preparation or execution. Likewise when the cueball or another ball accidently pockets the nine.

I believe in cause and effect, but realize luck plays a role also.

Alfie
05-19-2002, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stickman:</font><hr> Some things in pool can only be attributed to luck, irregardless of one's preparation, execution or whatever. When someone shoots the nine at a pocket and misses, and the ball rolls around the table and falls in another pocket, it can't be because of skill, preparation or execution. Likewise when the cueball or another ball accidently pockets the nine. <hr></blockquote>
Not luck at all. These are clearly two examples of god taking sides.

stickman
05-19-2002, 11:30 AM
I guess this means I should pray before I play. And maybe even while I'm playing. LOL

Oh please Lord, if I should miss this shot, I pray that it will slop into another pocket. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rod
05-20-2002, 12:23 AM
Alphie, I'll buy into that one.

Rod
05-20-2002, 01:30 AM
On the other hand, Fran if you had lifted your foot 1/2" higher you wouldn't have tripped. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Us humans do allow ourselves the Luxury, much to often IMO, of finding something to blame. It surely had to be something out of our control. As you said though its better to move on and let it go.

Something I've seen, and I'm sure nearly everyone has had this experience. You miss a 9 ball that granny, who's nearly blind, wouldn't have missed. You opponent comes to the table and shoots in the duck, QUACK QUACK. Then they precede to make a nine on the break. The next rack isn't pretty either, after a ball on the break they miss the one ball but slop in another ball and get left with a dead in combo, that granny could make, remember granny? Did I mention they were on the hill?
What is likely to happen, the person that lost is not going to admit they lost. (Effect) He/she got lucky with a nine on the break, slopped in a ball from nowhere and lucked out to beat me. (Cause) They missed a ball that granny would have made! Well thats ancient history now, at least that's what you think, but they relive that for the next few hours.
It so happens your ear is the most forgiving, or the closest one at hand, so you get to live it over and over with them. Um time to go see you later, better "luck" next time. Well you get my drift. A person could write a book.

Speaking of books, I'm awaiting your new book! How are you doing with that anyway? What book you say? The one entitled, The Hazards of Playing Pool./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif You could have a chapter in there on your adventures at the table. lol
It could be a series of short stories compiled of all the funny, or not so funny, stories of the dangers of the game, and possibly dastardly deeds of others, well maby not that.
Ok time to go I hear someone calling me, yea be right there.

Nostroke
05-21-2002, 03:40 PM
Strangely enough Emerson died from being hit by lightning (just kiddin)