PDA

View Full Version : Ballanced Commitment

Stretch
11-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Well i finally past another milestone in my pool developement this past year. You see, pool has always been a kind of drug to me. Sure i overdid it. As Fran once put it, Pool is a very selfish sport. Look at the time you got to put in it whether it's playing, practicing, thinking and talking (like now), hell more than one of us eat, sleep, crap pool.

The problem then becomes overcommitment. Your so intent on performing well that you forget that playing harder is not always playing better. All the fun goes out of it. Now because my personal life needed staightning out i needed to do that over time and pretty much did nothing pool wise for a few years. I'm getting back into it now but from a whole new perspective. I'm not thinking about the game in terms of money, titles, stats. I'm just kinda liking the game again like i loved to play it as a kid. Plus! i gotta life /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would never ever advise anyone to fall into the "overcommitment" trap that pool often leads to. You here story's of players missing a shot then after the tourney or whatever they're at the practice table doing the shot like 500 times. Comeone! Or I've done this too.....Say you crap out of tournament 2 and out, and your girlfriend, or wife (or both? haha) are there. Are you fit to live with? I wasn't. Hey, it shouldn't be that way. You NEED there support. It kinda behooves you to show her you can be a pleasant human being regardless of the outcome don't you think?

The answer to anyone that wants to chase that dream of becomeing the best pool player they can be has to be a ballanced commitment. You shouldn't have to spend every waking hour thinking about the game, not even close. All it takes really is a couple hours a day. But that's a "commitment" rain or shine, feeling good , bad, tired, or near death those hours go in and they have your undivided attention and energy. You make a long term commitment, and short term goals, you structure your practices, you keep notes, and continue to strengthen week areas, and you play. Get it?
play!

But that's just my 2 cents. St

Rich R.
11-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Great post Stretch.

Too often, people forget that pool is a game and it is suppose to be fun. IMHO, serious gambling takes the fun out of the game and makes it more of a job.

After many years of not playing, I came back and made the decision to not gamble. I play in leagues and some small tournaments and I find that I am playing for all of the good reasons. I play for the fun of playing a great game and I really enjoy myself, win or lose.

Playing pool and losing, is better than not playing pool at all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brian in VA
11-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Stretch,

I think you're spot on. In order to be truly happy, one must find balance in the areas of one's life with the most value. I play less pool now than I have in the past 7 years or so and yet, by focusing when I do practice and play, my game has come up steadily a ball or two over the past 6 months. Coincidentally, my life is very balanced and I'm the happiest I've been since I was about 8.

As great amateur golfer Bobby Jones said, "I believe in moderation in all things as a way of life. I have never lost to a teetotaler."

Balanced commitment. What a great methodology to living well.

Brian in VA

cheesemouse
11-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Stretch,

So........your saying I don't HAVE to be like this.

Why didn't you tell me that years ago... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
11-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Funny you hit upon this subject Stretch as I've dropped a lot of the "fever" of playing, quit leagues all last year until this fall, play one weekend day instead of two, leave the home table alone instead of hit balls morning for a bit, and each evening, plus as surprising as well, developed a relationship outside pool which gets me doing the girl-boy activities. The end result is that I'm not staggered by pressure at the PH, and even my mentor compliments my play these days. There is something good about having an outside-the-PH life and giving that part MORE, rather than less time than billiards. So far it has been very satisfying when I play, kind of a special peaceful sensation like, "Everything else besides this clincher ball being made or not being made, is more important." I can be better at the sport with less indulgence, it's proving itself out every time I do go and play, and if I don't do well or choke a key shot, it really don't matter that much like in the olden days. Thanks for the post, good advice all around...sid

Stretch
11-10-2004, 04:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Funny you hit upon this subject Stretch as I've dropped a lot of the "fever" of playing, quit leagues all last year until this fall, play one weekend day instead of two, leave the home table alone instead of hit balls morning for a bit, and each evening, plus as surprising as well, developed a relationship outside pool which gets me doing the girl-boy activities. The end result is that I'm not staggered by pressure at the PH, and even my mentor compliments my play these days. There is something good about having an outside-the-PH life and giving that part MORE, rather than less time than billiards. So far it has been very satisfying when I play, kind of a special peaceful sensation like, "Everything else besides this clincher ball being made or not being made, is more important." I can be better at the sport with less indulgence, it's proving itself out every time I do go and play, and if I don't do well or choke a key shot, it really don't matter that much like in the olden days. Thanks for the post, good advice all around...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Sid. And the others who responded! It sounds like i'm not the only one who is at that stage. Now the fun REALY begins. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif St.

Stretch
11-10-2004, 07:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Great post Stretch.

Too often, people forget that pool is a game and it is suppose to be fun. IMHO, serious gambling takes the fun out of the game and makes it more of a job.

After many years of not playing, I came back and made the decision to not gamble. I play in leagues and some small tournaments and I find that I am playing for all of the good reasons. I play for the fun of playing a great game and I really enjoy myself, win or lose.

Playing pool and losing, is better than not playing pool at all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I like that philosophy Rich. One of my favorite poets Robert Service, said it like this...

When i was daft (as urchins are),
And full of fairy lore,
I aimed an arrow at a star,
And hit - a barnyard door.

I've shot at heaps of stars since then,
but always it's the same-
A barnyard door has mocked me when
Uranus was my aim.

So, I'll shoot starward as of yore,
Though wide my arrows fall;
I'd rather hit a big barn door
Then never aim at all.

Thought you might like that. St

Keith Talent
11-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Stretch, it seems to me that pool is an unusually addictive pastime. I often wonder about this, but not obsessionally!

Fortunately for me, but not for my game, I didn't get into it seriously until I had a lot of other things to take up my time. Still, I probably think about it more than any other single subject these days.

What is it? So many factors, so many shots to learn and then refine, the whole strange subculture. In the early months of falling into it, I wanted to post on every small discovery and probably bored the crap out of everybody here.

Now, I feel less like commenting but am still absorbing about all I can stand ... still makin my midnight creep toward adequacy. Good luck maintaining that balance.

JimS
11-11-2004, 06:19 AM
Pool, like golf, is something that I can't do a little bit of.

Perk
11-11-2004, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Pool, like golf, is something that I can't do a little bit of. <hr /></blockquote>

Hence my dilema...too much golf in the summer, pool in the winter....seems time, effort, and money are spent, and I still have to here my wife: "Dont you think you are playing too much?" Funny thing is, I dont play nearly as often as prior to family committments.

Rich R.
11-11-2004, 07:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> Thought you might like that. St <hr /></blockquote>
I do like the poem Stretch. It is a prime example of the way I feel about pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW Stretch, don't tell the guys at the pool room, that you have a favorite poet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
11-11-2004, 07:38 AM
You know what? I think it may be sort of natural for some players to get a balance because they have families and naturally thrive to keep them first. Me being single, I found I was consumed in pool for fun at first, then competition later on and eventully the PH became my only visitation place, taking over my other hobbies. Take airgunning, which I'm knee deep in hardware but haven't popped even a can on the ground ove several years. Well I made a big enthusiasts gathering a weekend or so ago and wound down the entire day recovering my hold, breathing, and just plain old fun-other-than-pool life. My GF went along and outshot me at baloons hung out at 115 yards, and she'd only shot these things once before for maybe half an hour.

My point is that I really relaxed that day, it was beautiful weather, the people I met were neat(oldsters with a kid's hobbie) and I needless to say it carried through to the next trip I made to town to play pool. Maybe it was the honing of the aim, remain motionless, release and follow through(important with spring guns) in order to throw a .177cal pellet over a hundred yards and hit something, which maybe made it into my pool shooting execution, and maybe it was just a by-product of the outside activity in a purely enjoyable, stressless social activity other than pool.

Well I sort of deviated some with the AG story, but your poem about the barndoor triggered me with the story, and I felt it related in part. Ain't life fine!!!sid