PDA

View Full Version : Chalk glazing over

TommyT
11-10-2004, 06:51 AM
Has anyone else noticed that chalk nowadays tends to glaze over. I use Masters at my home and they have Triangle at the pool hall and both do the same thing. The chalk doesn't seem to want to coat the tip.Could it be the harder layered tips that everyone seems to be using?. We have been using tip picks or knives to scrape off the glazed over area. What's going on?.
TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sid_Vicious
11-10-2004, 07:00 AM
I haven't noticed this, I use tan Masters, personal chalk and have been using it for years now, no glazing. I also haven't noticed the rail chalk at Clicks looking glazed or heard complaints. I use the hardest, layered tips I can(Moori today, so I doubt it's the hardness factor. Do you use Talismans? Their glue maybe imbeds onto the chalk, allz I know is the Talismans shoot well with hardly any chalk, so I have pondered whether the glue on the crown is sticky. Maybe there is a chance your climate where you live has something to do with it...sid

trailboss
11-10-2004, 07:11 AM
I have noticed the glazing on my harder tipped cues... looks like a polishing effect. I have not noticed this with my softer tips. I think both hard and soft tips need to be gently roughed up once in a while.

Billy_Bob
11-10-2004, 07:58 AM
When this happens to my tip, I use a sandpaper shaping tool (links below) to lightly scuff the tip. Then it is good as new again. Note: The third link below says to wet a Moori tip, then let it dry rather than sanding it. But I usually don't have time for the "let it dry part"...

Nickel or dime sandpaper shapers...
http://playpool.com/store/shop.php

See Metal Tip Trimmer about half way down...
(Does not say what shape)
http://www.seyberts.com/cue_accessories/tiptools/index.htm

Moori tip info...
http://www.moori-tips.com/information-and-maintenance.htm

Cane
11-11-2004, 01:05 PM
I used to have problems with glazing but don't anymore. I use Master chalk, green, blue and gold (don't want to use a color that would be offensive looking on someone elses cloth) and always carry my own. I use Moori III Quick tips (hard) and have no glazing problem.

Why? Well, this sounds crazy, I know, but about a year ago, a gentleman who is well known around many of the boards, told me to put my personal chalk in the oven and bake it at 350 for one hour. I do that, then carry it in baggies in my pool bag. The chalk goes on smoother, more evenly and NEVER gets waxy after it's been baked.

I don't know exactly what it does, but it does something and it does, IMHO, make the chalk better. It also lasts a LOT longer, although at my price, buying by the gross, chalk is of no consequential expense... example, I have one particular piece of green that I've been using for about a month. I've played 8 tournaments with it where I played at least 4 or 5 rounds in each tournament... the chalk looks like an out of the box piece that's been used for a few days at the most.

Give it a try and see what you think... it only takes an hour to bake a piece... oh, it also takes nearly an hour for it to cool down. Personal observation, from personal experience... DO NOT pick it up to look at it 10 minutes after you take it out of the oven. It will make your fingertips very shiny and glazed over. Your eyes will also glaze for a short period of time.

Later,
Bob