PDA

View Full Version : Extremists throw hand grenade

Qtec
11-10-2004, 07:49 AM
November 10, 2004
3 Dutch Police Officers Are Wounded in Raid
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 5:57 a.m. ET

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) -- Suspects holed up in a house under police assault Wednesday threw a hand grenade, injuring three officers conducting the terrorism-related raid.

Authorities closed air space for small planes over the city as part of the operation.

Hague Chief Prosecutor Han Moraal said the raid was part of a ``continuing investigation into terrorism,'' but would not confirm whether it was related to the Nov. 2 killing of filmmaker Theo van Gogh by an alleged Islamic radical.

Suspects were still inside the building, Hague Police Chief Gerard Bouwman said at a press conference, and confirmed that police and the suspects had exchanged gunfire.

``At the moment of assault, a hand grenade was thrown at the arrest team,'' Bouwman said. ``It exploded and several officers were hurt.''

Mayor Wim Deetman said negotiators were trying to end the standoff peacefully.

I dont think this is the end of the trouble.

Q

Deeman2
11-10-2004, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> November 10, 2004
3 Dutch Police Officers Are Wounded in Raid
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 5:57 a.m. ET

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) -- Suspects holed up in a house under police assault Wednesday threw a hand grenade, injuring three officers conducting the terrorism-related raid.

Authorities closed air space for small planes over the city as part of the operation.

Hague Chief Prosecutor Han Moraal said the raid was part of a ``continuing investigation into terrorism,'' but would not confirm whether it was related to the Nov. 2 killing of filmmaker Theo van Gogh by an alleged Islamic radical.

Suspects were still inside the building, Hague Police Chief Gerard Bouwman said at a press conference, and confirmed that police and the suspects had exchanged gunfire.

``At the moment of assault, a hand grenade was thrown at the arrest team,'' Bouwman said. ``It exploded and several officers were hurt.''

Mayor Wim Deetman said negotiators were trying to end the standoff peacefully.

Say hello to Uncle Wim for me. I'm sure you noticed we dropped the "t" when the Deeman clan escaped to America! Joke..Q

I dont think this is the end of the trouble.

Sadly, Welcome to the club Q. Since Hitler, the only threat to the Netherlands has been German fussball Vereins, I believe. Maybe a few British fans as well. I hope they crush these bugs....

Deeman

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
11-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Makes you look at that whole Patriot Act thing a bit differently, doesn't it?

Chalk up another one for the "Religion of Peace".

Welcome to the 8th century.

highsea
11-10-2004, 10:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>I dont think this is the end of the trouble.
Q <hr /></blockquote>I think you're right. With something like 6% of your population being Muslim, You guys certainly don't want emotions to get out of hand. If a militant movement gains traction, it will be very tough to deal with.

Personally I don't think multiculturalism really works. You end up with pockets of nationalities that ultimately have difficulty integrating into the society. You have diversity, but it doesn't benefit the State, because the people want to maintain their own National identities, rather than thinking of themselves as Dutch citizens. Obviously a certain amount of this is inevitable, but multiculturalism encourages it,imo.

Your country has a reputation as a tolerant one, Q. I hope that doesn't suffer to much over this violence.