PDA

View Full Version : Find the answer at Applebee’s?

SnakebyteXX
11-11-2004, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
“The leadership of our party has a cultural disconnect,” Sosnik said. “Our leaders — particularly Washington, D.C.-based — don’t really have the same life, day to day, as all those people out there in those red states. We don’t eat at the same restaurants. I don’t know how many politicians in town that are leaders of our party who voluntarily go to Applebee’s, unless it’s for work. You look at the swing voters out there, what their sporting events are, the music they listen to, the celebrities, the television programs, it’s just not what the East Coast leadership (watches) — it’s not quite where we are.”

<hr /></blockquote> Is Democrats’ solution on the menu at Applebee’s? (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6453647/)

Wally_in_Cincy
11-11-2004, 06:54 AM
When Kerry and Edwards and wives had their photo-op at Wendy's on the Edwards anniversary they did not eat at Wendy's. They went back to their hotel and had French gourmet food that had been catered in.

Deeman2
11-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Although I would not eat at Applebees with a gun stuck to my head (I've eaten there before), that was a good article.

When I was at Nissan, in Smyrna, TN. We used to have loads of GM and Ford executives visit the plant. At one of the wrap-up meetings one of them asked our president, "Why would you let us come in here and take photos, even give us copies of your layout? I mean we wouldn't let you copy us at GM!" Our President said, "We don't want to copy GM and we know you WON'T do what we do here so we have no fear of showing it to you."

That's the same with the left, we or they can tell them the problems they are having with the electorate but they won't do anything to change it anyway. History will repeat itself.

Deeman

Wally_in_Cincy
11-12-2004, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Although I would not eat at Applebees with a gun stuck to my head <hr /></blockquote>

I like their tequila-lime chicken. I still go there sometimes even though it's all non-smoking now. Their bar business has fallen off dramatically from what I hear.

Ross
11-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Wally, how come your such a good skeptic when it comes to claims for Dems, but you fall for no-cred smear stories against Dems? Not that it matters, but your story that Edwards/Kerry didn't eat at the Wendy's is certainly not true. For starters, I saw the television clips of Edwards and his wife chowing down on the Wendy's burgers. Unless they are bulemics, they ate and digested the food.

But since you reported it, I decided to google it. After a little research I found the original article from www.midhudson.com (http://www.midhudson.com) (it was a local story, the Wendy's was in Newburgh, NY). It turns out that the "evidence" was that "managment" at a local resturant (owned by an ex-CIA guy) said that 19 gourmet meals had been ordered the day before and they were "told" that the meals were for Edwards and Kerry. That's it. That's pretty much the whole basis for the whole elitist Edwards/Kerry story!

So based on this flimsy quote which proved absolutely nothing, Newsmax (which has the credibility as Al Jazeera) reported it as a known fact that Edwards/Kerry "tossed out" their cheeseburgers and chile and then went and ate the gourmet lunches. They of course left out the quote in the original article by the Wendy's manager who said: “I’m for anyone who comes in and likes double cheeses. I’m a big supporter of anyone who orders our food.” This didn't fit into the little elitist version of the story.

So never mind that there is television footage of them actually consuming the Wendy's burgers. Never mind that there were 17 buses on the tour with over 100 people on them including Ben Affleck and his friends so there is no telling where the 19 meals went or when they were eaten. Never mind that the original story was based on third-hand info that really proved nothing. Never mind that it makes no sense that they were doing a photo-op but then threw away the burgers they just ordered in front of dozens of reporters. Did they think none of the reporters would notice? (Oh, I get it - they are stupid elitists.)

This is the equivalent of the oft-repeated but false claim that Teresa called her critics "scumbags." Or the story that Edwards just drives across his neighors lawn tearing it up and not caring. Or dozens of other smear stories made up to make any Dem look like elitist monsters.

Obviously the truth of this story doesn't really matter in the bigger scheme. But I just don't understand why you and many other conservatives on this board seem to me to be so uneven in your skepticism - doubting most everything bad you hear about Bush or others in his admin, labeling such stories as "villification" or Bush hating, but at the same time you are a sucker for any anti-Dem stories that comes down the pike, no matter how personal it is or how unlikely it sounds. At least that is the way it seems to me, FWIW, which I know isn't much. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Gayle in MD
11-13-2004, 01:30 AM
Yeah Ross,
I notice the same thing, and also the Bushyites on here call you a liar if you post information which is all over the news, published in books and magazines, even beyond that, just plain pretty darn obvious.

Like for example, the real truth is that our actual debt in this country is fifty-one trillion dollars, that's the real deal, and all of it the result of Little Bushy. But if I were to post that, (Opps, I did post it didn't I,... well just don't tell them) certain folks would be right on my, well you know, and calling me a wannabe elitist, hypocritical liar, and you know, I would just be up all night long worrying my little heart about it.

Here's my theory, some folks just like to think they are right all the time and you are wrong, lol. It just makes them feel better. Why, they will even question such things as the theory of evolution, and sight as their reference material, a book based completely on "Faith" with not a fact in sight they can prove, but hey, it takes all kinds in this world, ya know what I mean?

Gayle in Md., thankful I live in a blue state!

Be Love!
Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
11-13-2004, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> ...it takes all kinds in this world... <hr /></blockquote>It doesn't take all kinds, there simply are all kinds! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Gayle in MD
11-13-2004, 07:38 AM
????????Yes, just what I said, actually, it takes all kinds to make a up world,.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
11-13-2004, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> Wally, how come your such a good skeptic when it comes to claims for Dems, but you fall for no-cred smear stories against Dems? Not that it matters, but your story that Edwards/Kerry didn't eat at the Wendy's is certainly not true. <hr /></blockquote>

oops

my bad

Deeman2
11-14-2004, 08:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> Wally, how come your such a good skeptic when it comes to claims for Dems, but you fall for no-cred smear stories against Dems? Not that it matters, but your story that Edwards/Kerry didn't eat at the Wendy's is certainly not true. <hr /></blockquote>

oops

my bad <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I don't care where Kerry and Edwards eat. What possible concern is there even if they had cattered in expensive meals? This is a free country and they are rich, right? Don't critize anyone for where or what they eat.

</font color>

Deeman
I don't care where they eat as long as it's not the White House..

Ross
11-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Deeman, it wasn't about where they ate. It was a made-up story to make them seem hypocritical elitists, pretending to be one thing while really they were another. The right-wing reputation-trasher industry that got its first real star with Limbaugh now has dozens of radio talk show hosts, a few TV hosts, and hundreds of bloggers, and media sites like Newsmax and Drudge have 10's of millions of viewers/listeners/readers taking in this garbage.

They have been very successful in convincing the gullible that every Dem opponent that has come down the pike is unlikable and has a sorry character. You will not see or hear a reasoned discussion of any issue from them. They don't know how to disagree and argue their points from a position of mutual respect. They are intellectually lazy and play on emotions and stereotypes.

Their favorite theme is exactly the one behind this story - the trashed person is actually an astoundingly uncaring elitist. Go to snopes.com, type in Kerry and you will find a whole bunch of made-up stories about him all with this theme.

highsea
11-14-2004, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> ...It was a made-up story to make them seem hypocritical elitists, pretending to be one thing while really they were another. <hr /></blockquote>Oh come on, Ross. Just because they took a photo op at a Wendys and actually gagged down a burger doesn't mean they aren't still hypocritical elitists. It will take more than a couple fast food burgers to change that.

Anyway, I heard Kerry eats girl scout cookies...and they're made with real girl scouts! Is it true? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross
11-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Ok, Highsea, now are you deliberately misunderstanding me for self-amusement?

In case you aren't being tongue-in-cheek: I made no claim about their pedestrian repast conferring everyman status to them. I was pointing out the obverse - that the "evidence" to prove their snootiness was bogus, just like the dozens of other internet stories in that vein.

Now I don't know anything about Kerry eating girl scouts... (Hey you said it, not me!)