PDA

View Full Version : Wood, Ivory, and temperature.

SteveEllis
11-11-2004, 07:20 AM
I was just curious what some of the more experienced people here thought about this issue. I know that generally you should not leave your cue in cars due to the damage caused buy temperature fluctuations, what I am curious is about the effect of a more moderate fluctuations.
I have my thermostat programmed to keep my weekday home (condo w/ electric heat in NH)between 57 and 65 degrees weekdays and 55 or so weekends when I'm at my "real" home. I presume it is a good deal warmer, 70 degrees or so, in the pool rooms I frequent and of course there is the extreme fluctuations while travelling between this places.
Is the general opinion that these more moderate fluctuations will or will not have a negative effect on cues (both the wood and the ivory)?
TIA for any info.
Steve Ellis.

BLACKHEART
11-11-2004, 08:00 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifSHORT ANSWER.....I don't think you have a problem. If you're talking about an Ivory ferrule, it's always a good idea in REAL cold weather, to let it warm up, outside of the case before hitting with it. As far as damage to the cue,only extreams of heat & humidity will be a problem...JER

Chris Cass
11-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Hi Steve,

I can't give you a professional opinion but I do have experience with 8 yrs, 11 yrs and 14 yrs till present. This is the length of time I've owned 3 cues other than a few I won and sold in a quick turnaround.

The 3 cues I've owned were the McDermott (8), Meucci (11), South West (14 and present). I do own a saweeet Boti also but that's just a pup. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif The reason why I mention the cues first is to let you know the quality of the shafts and butts. Even though the shafts are the most vulnerable.

I know what your thinking. You might think about the coparison of the shafts in quality. Many might think of Meucci as being cheap wood but taper does make a good question. Anyway, the McDermott and the Meucci shafts never had a problem. Both shafts were really good.

The South West and the Boti being the best, almost flawless in grain. Tapers close to a point. However, I have always stored my cues in a cool and dry place. Some in the basement and most in closets. I lay them flat while in the case. You'll hear arguement about standing upright but I've never had a problem.

Tha average temp was about 65 degrees. Sometimes in the winter mths it gets pretty cold out here in the midwest. All my cases have been leather tube or hard as one might say. Just driving from home to the pool hall with the drivers window cracked and the case laying in the back seat. It can get rather cold.

While bringing them in the ph and the temp being like 70's and from the car the cues about 60 maybe. Sometimes even to the point they almost freeze your hand a bit. I'll immediately put the cue togather and wipe it down with a towel if I have one. Either way, I don't shoot with any of them till they've become room temp.

I don't think it wise to shoot with them cold. Chilly maybe but cold, no. The Meuci for sure as the ferrules are plastic and will explode if you look at them wrong. lol The Ivory ferrule is also a good idea also as they too are temp sensitive.

I've never had a problem with the temp change ever. I do suggest that between the different environments temp changes you do everything you can to not make drastic changes and shoot with them.

Might not help ya here but, it's all I have.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
11-11-2004, 08:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifSHORT ANSWER.....I don't think you have a problem. If you're talking about an Ivory ferrule, it's always a good idea in REAL cold weather, to let it warm up, outside of the case before hitting with it. As far as damage to the cue,only extreams of heat &amp; humidity will be a problem...JER <hr /></blockquote>

Geez JER,

I wish I'd said that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif You always say it in 25 words or less. I have a habit of writing a book. Who didn't know that about me? HAHAHAHA

Regards,

C.C.~~chatterbox /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SteveEllis
11-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Thanks Chris and Jer, you've increased my comfort level. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif