PDA

View Full Version : 8 ball rules - All stripes on the break

petel
11-11-2004, 05:29 PM
I am familiar with 8 ball rules except for the following. (This may already be in this forum) Someone asked me that if you break and all the solids went in. You now have all the stripes and the 8 ball left on the table. The rules state that that you must first declare solids or stripes and that happens only when you make a called shot. In any event, can you immediatly shot the 8 ball even though you have not declared solids or stripes legally? Or must you shoot all stripes in this case first?

Barbara
11-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Pete

Ths sounds suspiciously too much like the BCA Ref test I took 4 years ago!

Okay, on this one. First of all, congrats on making a whole group of balls on the break. Second, congrats on being screwed. The 8-ball is not your legal ball to hit at this time. You must make the whole other group before you can hit the 8-ball because:

1. The table is always open after the break.
2. You or your opponent must establish a pattern of balls to shoot at.
3. The 8-ball does not become a legal ball to hit until you have pocketed all your balls off the table.

Now consider this. You and your opponent keep shooting at balls and fouling and scratching until your both down to the 8. What happens now?

You've got good rules Qs, keep them coming, it's like a refresher course from playing in my stoopid-rules bar league. It reminds me how 8-ball should be played instead of how lucky it can be.

Barbara

petel
11-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks

jhendri2
11-12-2004, 05:00 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but if it was not an easy run-out,I would take an intentional miss on a stripe, therefore the table would still be open (right?), and he would have to decide whether he could run the stripes or not.

I know the odds of this situation happening are between zero and none but it's interesting to think about what you would do...

Jim

cycopath
11-12-2004, 01:28 PM
This actually happened to my step-brother.

The first night he ever played in a local pool league his opponent broke the balls and every stripe dropped. In this league whatever you drop is your category of ball. Unless you drop one of each then you have choice.

So the guy is left with only 8 ball to shoot. And he makes it, but consequently scratches. So my step-brother won.

Unbelievable, but true.

Bob_Jewett
11-12-2004, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote petel:</font><hr> I am familiar with 8 ball rules except for the following. (This may already be in this forum) Someone asked me that if you break and all the solids went in. You now have all the stripes and the 8 ball left on the table. The rules state that that you must first declare solids or stripes and that happens only when you make a called shot. In any event, can you immediatly shot the 8 ball even though you have not declared solids or stripes legally? Or must you shoot all stripes in this case first? <hr /></blockquote>
The rule as currently written is broken. Mike Shamos pointed this out in one of his "You make the call" columns in Billiards Digest.