PDA

View Full Version : advantage gained on a scratch rule

bk95a
11-11-2004, 07:16 PM
New guy here!! My opponent scratches when on I'm the 8 ball.
I now cannot hit the 8 ball, is this a "ball in hand" foul?
I always thought you cannot disadvantage your opponemt when you foul or scratch. Answers: could you direct me to a website rule? Thanks in advance

Rod
11-11-2004, 07:24 PM
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/ Keep in mind if your playing bar pool the rules can change from place to place. Was the 8 behind the line? It is ball in hand by BCA rules.

Rod

bk95a
11-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Yes, the 8 ball was behind the line when he scratched.

Barbara
11-11-2004, 07:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bk95a:</font><hr> New guy here!! My opponent scratches when on I'm the 8 ball.
I now cannot hit the 8 ball, is this a "ball in hand" foul?

<font color="blue">Why can't you hit the 8-ball?</font color>

I always thought you cannot disadvantage your opponemt when you foul or scratch. Answers: could you direct me to a website rule? Thanks in advance <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Yes, the BCA rules are there to NOT GIVE the offending player an advantage. That's what it's all about. If you foul, you should not be able to take advantage of the fact.</font color>

Barbara~~~my bar league plays by all the wrong rules... And I'm taking advantage of all of them!!!

www.bca-pool.co (http://www.bca-pool.co)

Go to Play, then hiit rules.

bk95a
11-11-2004, 08:33 PM
The 8 ball was behind the line and was told by opponent
that I had to always shoot forward.

Rod
11-11-2004, 08:59 PM
You never said if it was bar room pool. Different bars have different rules. Generally in a bar though, that's all to common to shoot out and come back in to hit the 8. Just know the rules before you play. Many bar room players haven't a clue about BCA rules.

bk95a
11-11-2004, 09:54 PM
No, it was not in a bar.
So what's the rule? My 8 ball is well behind the line by the pocket. His ball way down at the other end. He missed his ball, I am then allowed to spot the cue ball anywhere in the "D", but was told I could not shoot backwards.
This put me at a disadvantage as I had to shoot forward to bank a shot. I have always heard that in that case you could either place your cue ball and shoot backwards or place your cue ball anywhere behind the line. Which is True?

Rod
11-11-2004, 10:56 PM
You need to decide on what rules your playing by before playing. Go to the link I gave you, there is a complete set of rules for BCA 8 ball. If you like em use em. BCA leagues use them of course. If you want APA or other rules I don't have them.

SPetty
11-12-2004, 07:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bk95a:</font><hr> So what's the rule? <hr /></blockquote>As others have said, it depends on the rule set that you are using. If you guys didn't agree on an official set of rules before you started playing, then the rules change as you go. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you agreed on a set of rules before you started playing, what did you agree on? If we know what rules you were playing by, we can answer your question.

Most of us here are used to playing by a particular rule set - many of us play by BCA (Billiard Congress of America) rules, or WPA (World Pool Association) or APA (American Poolplayers Association) or Texas Express (9 ball rules) or sometimes "bar rules", which change as you do /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif . But these rules are sometimes different from each other, so in order to answer your question, we need to know what rule set you are playing by.

There is NO standard rule set that everyone plays by, which is why you're having a tough time getting your simple question answered to your satisfaction.