PDA

View Full Version : Moori Story

DeadStrokeMan
11-11-2004, 10:12 PM
<< cc from azbilliards post >>
Bought 314 shaft - came with LePro - unacceptable. In Vegas had a guy put on a Moori tip for me - he only had this old can of "unknown" moori's. Said fine - put it on.

Played GREAT for the first few racks ...then 'plink' - what? I don't miscue - rare. Then 'klink' - what? I look at the tip and see the impact piont ... looked good to me.

So - I blow it off and suppose I was strokin' poorly - meanwhile I have this "hesitation" in my stroke because I had overReached several times.

So - the Joss tourney comes up and I mention this to Mike Webb. He tells me that Moori ORIGNAL tips were prone to this and they had "re-Engineered" them. So I have Mike re-tip with a MedHard.

Perfect - had my full reach back ... never miscued again.

In the meantime - I recently purchased a new 314 with a Moori. I was stoked up because this has the proper joint ( United Joint) for my Mezz. I rack 'em up and toss 'em around - WOW ...great impact ...great TIP!

I go through a few racks .... 'PLINK'! WTH?

I recon' that this is the same type-tip I had Mike replace. Either a) Original Batch or b) Moori Hard - in which case I'm supprized.

Anyone else experience this? I'm a very high level player - a miscue on the "brain" is not good for the 'stroke'. I still have this tip on and am going to try to find its "limits" - get the feel for this thing because I suspect it may be a minor stroke modification.

landshark77
11-11-2004, 10:18 PM
I play with one of the original morris. Never had a problem with it. I'm screwed when it comes time to replace my baby. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif But, I think I have another shaft somewhere that has the same thing on it...hummm..I think I just had one of them there epiphanies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
11-12-2004, 09:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadStrokeMan:</font><hr> &lt;&lt; cc from azbilliards post &gt;&gt;
Bought 314 shaft - came with LePro - unacceptable. In Vegas had a guy put on a Moori tip for me - he only had this old can of "unknown" moori's. Said fine - put it on.

Played GREAT for the first few racks ...then 'plink' - what? I don't miscue - rare. Then 'klink' - what? I look at the tip and see the impact piont ... looked good to me.

So - I blow it off and suppose I was strokin' poorly - meanwhile I have this "hesitation" in my stroke because I had overReached several times.

So - the Joss tourney comes up and I mention this to Mike Webb. He tells me that Moori ORIGNAL tips were prone to this and they had "re-Engineered" them. So I have Mike re-tip with a MedHard.

Perfect - had my full reach back ... never miscued again.

In the meantime - I recently purchased a new 314 with a Moori. I was stoked up because this has the proper joint ( United Joint) for my Mezz. I rack 'em up and toss 'em around - WOW ...great impact ...great TIP!

I go through a few racks .... 'PLINK'! WTH?

I recon' that this is the same type-tip I had Mike replace. Either a) Original Batch or b) Moori Hard - in which case I'm supprized.

Anyone else experience this? I'm a very high level player - a miscue on the "brain" is not good for the 'stroke'. I still have this tip on and am going to try to find its "limits" - get the feel for this thing because I suspect it may be a minor stroke modification. <hr /></blockquote>

I've not seen the issue you mention with the Moori's, and I'm still using the "prior design" because I bought a large quantity just before the changeover.

I agree that a miscue can get into your head though - and if you have the slightest tendency to "pull your stroke", ie decelerate the cue or begin to dip the tip prior to contact, you greatly raise the chances of another miscue. Add in a little bit of hesitancy about your equipment and that may push you over the line into miscue territory.

I think it is possible that the second Moori you had installed may be a little softer than the other two. A hard tip can tend to amplify and exacerbate bad stroking technique that a softer tip will tend to hide.

Could it be that you have a glitch in your fundamental mechanics, small enough that it doesn't normally cause a problem, but the combination of hard tips and a little nervousness pushes it over the line? On medium-speed shots, do you ever control your speed by letting up just a little during the final delivery? I've had that problem (and it's hard to catch) and it does invite miscue, particularly with hard tips.

SpiderMan

DeadStrokeMan
11-12-2004, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadStrokeMan:</font><hr>Could it be that you have a glitch in your fundamental mechanics, small enough that it doesn't normally cause a problem, but the combination of hard tips and a little nervousness pushes it over the line? On medium-speed shots, do you ever control your speed by letting up just a little during the final delivery? I've had that problem (and it's hard to catch) and it does invite miscue, particularly with hard tips. <hr /></blockquote>

This could be possible. I plan on playing it out for a while to see. One thing that I've planned on for-ever (waiting for my home table setup) is to VIDEO-TAPE myself.

In this way I might be able to study "what went wrong" in certain conditions. Am I 'popping up'? Did I fail to follow through? Did I pull my stroke out?

Here is a shot that have consistant trouble with - I call it a "cue roll over" when I miss this - it "feels" like the cue had rolled over the top of the cue and "pushed" the cueball out of position.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html
START(
%IN8F8%Pb1[0
)END

With a video - I could "slow mo" and study this type of thing. Yesterday I lifted the cueball off the table. I was embarrased - It wasn't a "fly off" - more like a "lift off" that happened on a soft draw where the cue "slipped" on the cueball and lifted it right off. This just doesn't happen to me very often. Generally I can take any ole nasty house cue, broom stick ect. and shoot all the day long without any miscue. This particular tip played well for the first few racks - then it started. Like a "glazing effect". Perhaps I could perform some type of FRICTION TEST - Anyone know of a "FRICTION TEST" that could be applied?

DeadStrokeMan
11-12-2004, 05:48 PM
After I had miscued the other night - I hit the tip with the shaper a bit. Today I played for about an hour on the snooker table without a mishap.

Then went to the 7'er with the leadMudBall and didn't miscue ..but I did reach the edge of the ball a couple of times. So I think that I "scraped off" whatever that was. We'll see. Maybe it will return again after "compacting" the tip with play.

I'll post on this progress as others have the same issues.