PDA

View Full Version : What are the reasons

stickman
11-11-2004, 11:49 PM
Due to the post about the giving of a small bonus to the winner of a tournament that either lost the bid or failed to buy half of themselves, I was curious what the difference reasons were for not bidding on themselves. For me personally, I have been too broke to bid, but fortunately, I've always been able to buy half. I've also seen when I was bid too high. If it was a common occurence, I let the bidding go on without me, and opt to buy half. What reasons do you have? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
11-12-2004, 09:47 AM
I will usually bid on myself at the beginning, if I go cheap then I'm happy to take it.

If the bidding goes higher I'll generally drop out and observe. I'm self-conscious about bidding higher. Not because I can't afford it, but because if I bid up and then decide to drop out I don't want anyone to think I was just shilling (particularly if I don't buy half). You might think that's strange, but it's a decision I've made and I don't even think about it anymore. If my winning bidder was a sucker, I won't feel obligated to bail half of him out if I wasn't partly responsible for bidding it up.

I prefer my decision to buy half or not to be a purely business/gambling judgement. Whether I buy half is a decision I make based on how large I think the overall pot will grow and how I rank my chances of breaking into the money, versus what I eventually went for.

SpiderMan

Rod
11-12-2004, 11:18 AM
I always have bought half of myself. Now though, no one does. It's against the liquor law, no calcutta's.

Rod

yegon
11-12-2004, 02:54 PM
I am really puzzled now. Sorry I guess you are talking about something any one of you knows about but I really do not undersatnd and I would like to.

Looks like something about betting on yourself in a tournament. Am I right? How does it work? We have nothing like that here, I am curious.

stickman
11-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Just a simple explanation. Some tournaments have something called a calcutta. For simplicity, let's say there are 10 players entered into a tournament. The players are bid off one at a time, and the winning bid goes to the highest bidder. When the player list has completed bids, a total is arrived. Then the bidders, decide on how many places to pay and what precentage each place should pay. If the player being auctioned isn't able to acquire the winning bid, he is given the opportunity to buy half the action of the winning bidder. As you say, it's a form of betting oneself.