PDA

View Full Version : Taser used on 6 year old

Qtec
11-12-2004, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Police use stun gun on 6-year-old
Officials: Child was cutting himself with glass

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- Police used a stun gun on a 6-year-old boy in his principal's office because he was wielding a piece of glass and threatening to hurt himself, officials said Thursday.

The boy, who was not identified, was shocked with 50,000 volts on October 20 at Kelsey Pharr Elementary School.

Principal Maria Mason called 911 after the child broke a picture frame in her office and waved a piece of glass, holding a security guard back.

When two Miami-Dade County police officers and a school officer arrived, the boy had already cut himself under his eye and on his hand.

The officers talked to the boy without success. When the boy cut his own leg, one officer shocked him with a Taser and another grabbed him to prevent him from falling, police said.

He was treated and taken to a hospital, where he was committed for psychiatric evaluation.

"By using the Taser, we were able to stop the situation, stop him from hurting himself," police spokesman Juan DelCastillo told The Miami Herald.

The case was under review.

<hr /></blockquote>

If a parent did that, he/she would be looking at 10 years!

Unbelievable!

Q

Deeman2
11-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Gee Q,

How do you keep your kids under control? I admit, I can't see how it takes a taser to stop a 6 year old but even though I back up law enforcement in a lot of instances, this may be a little over the edge. I think a lot of this has to do with the "Cops" show we have on over here and the over agressive attitude of most law enforcement organizations to become more military. I know they have to protect themselves but recently they have become so defensive even in the lightest of encounters. Maybe if I was a cop I'd feel more like they do but it seems they drag everyone out of a car now like they are a threat to mow down a platoon of police even when it's just a guy pulled over for expired tags wearing speedos.

I want our police safe but 14 rangers to get a drunk woman out of a bar seems a little over the top. This kid was probably wanting to hurt himself or others but at six years old, we could probably figure out a little better way of getting a piece of glass away from him. This kid wouild have been in the 1st or 2nd grade. I bet even me or Wally could have talked him down without a taser.

My father was a newsman in Texas and was standing at an elevator when the door opened and a cop was beating the crap out of a handcuffed drunk. He filmed it and the cop was fired. The cops banded together and shunned my Dad. I was proud of him but he sure lost membership in the club...

Hate to agree but we'll see what comes out of this.

Deeman
considering issueing tasers to 6 year olds...

PQQLK9
11-12-2004, 07:15 AM
STUNNING NEWS, AND OTHER STORIES

Source: Observer Staff - Editorial
The Elevator. Up, Down, or Stalled? ROCK HILL STUNNER (down)Police officer uses taser on 75-year-old woman visiting assisted living facility. Higher-ups investigating, but chief says it appears officer acted properly.*NEW SCHOOLS (Up)Meck commissioners OK $74 million in building to ease crowding, but hold off deciding on a $6 million program to help low-performing high schools. *SUNDAY VOTING (up) Shocked, shocked at partisan politics, GOP commissioners vote to block

Published on October 23, 2004, Page 12A, Charlotte Observer, The (NC

Cueless Joey
11-12-2004, 09:01 AM
I hope they include a good fan to sukk out the odor from those stinky visiting tourists. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Joey~Used to cater to tourists who wore a gallon of perfume to hide their stench~

wolfdancer
11-12-2004, 04:25 PM
shocking!!!

highsea
11-12-2004, 04:52 PM
I think they should try the little terrorist as an adult! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif