PDA

View Full Version : What the FCC Said on `Private Ryan'

PQQLK9
11-12-2004, 07:30 AM
What the FCC Said on `Private Ryan'

ABC has twice aired "Saving Private Ryan" and the FCC investigated a complaint about "violence, bloodshed, language and profanity" in 2002 from the American Family Association of Tupelo, Miss. In a staff ruling, the agency ruled it was not indecent. Excerpts from the agency's response:

"It does not appear that any of the material depicts or describes sexual conduct in a patently offensive manner."

"The sexual references ... do not appear to be so graphic or explicit as to be indecent."

What the FCC said on broadcasting "Schindler's List":

"Frontal nudity scenes were not `patently offensive as measured by contemporary community standards for the broadcast medium' when viewed in context, noting that the film depicts a historical view of WWII and wartime atrocities that is not presented in a pandering, titillating or vulgar matter."

WTF is this? "the American Family Association of Tupelo, Miss" /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Deeman2
11-12-2004, 07:40 AM
The broadcast was bvlaocked out at one fo the station affiliates here in East Texas last night.

Deeman
been to Tupelo, MS., now my life is comlete..

PQQLK9
11-12-2004, 07:49 AM
Also here in Charlotte.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-12-2004, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr>
....WTF is this? "the American Family Association of Tupelo, Miss" /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'm pretty sure the AFA knows the significance of 451 degrees Farenheit /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif if it's the same group I am thinking of.

WaltVA
11-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Yep, the ABC affiliate here in Tidewater VA honored veterans with "Oprah" reruns and a disclaimer crawl about wanting to show "Private Ryan" in a more suitable time slot (they'd already shown it twice before in prime time.) Go figure.

Walt in VA

Wally_in_Cincy
11-12-2004, 09:24 AM
The tv stations that chose not to show it were sending a message to the stupid FCC after they got hosed over the J Jackson thing.

They knew damn well they would not get fined over Pvt. Ryan. They were trying to make a point and I can't say I blame them.

nhp
11-15-2004, 12:27 AM
I think they should have showed HBO's Band of Brothers instead of Private Ryan. It's a true story, and it's about 1,000 times better than Saving Private Ryan. Even though the whole series is 10 hours long, they should have still showed it /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nate&lt;-- Has watched Band of Brothers 6 times, and wants to watch it again.

kyle
11-15-2004, 12:01 PM
IMO it has more to do with the fact your boys are going through similar situations in Iraq than the FCC or Janet's nipple.