PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mr. Bush

PQQLK9
11-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Posted on Fri, Nov. 12, 2004

Dear Mr. Bush: Mandate allows you to follow Bible

Letter dated Nov. 3 says re-election a reprieve from paganism agenda

Associated Press

GREENVILLE, S.C. - Bob Jones III, president of the fundamentalist college that bears his name, has told President Bush he should use his electoral mandate to appoint conservative judges and approve legislation "defined by biblical norm."

"In your re-election, God has graciously granted America -- though she doesn't deserve it -- a reprieve from the agenda of paganism," Jones wrote Bush in a congratulatory letter posted on the university's Web site.

"You have been given a mandate ... put your agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they despise your Christ," said the letter, dated Nov. 3.

A White House spokesman said he didn't know whether the president had seen the letter.

"It is easy to rejoice today because Christ has allowed you to be His servant in this nation for another presidential term," Jones wrote.

"Undoubtedly, you will have the opportunity to appoint many conservative judges and exercise forceful leadership with the Congress in passing legislation that is defined by biblical norm regarding the family, sexuality, sanctity of life, religious freedom, freedom of speech and limited government," the letter said.

Jonathan Pait, a spokesman for the university, said the letter was placed on the school's Web site because Jones had read it to students in chapel and many told their parents about it.

"We put it up there, not because we were trying to get in anyone's face, but because parents were asking what was in the letter. This way, we can direct them to that point," Pait said. He said Jones has not received a response from the White House.

The spokesman said it would be a misreading of the letter to think that "everyone who voted for the Democrats is a pagan" or that "if you voted for John Kerry you are a despiser of Christ."

"For example, there are those who voted for John Kerry because they opposed the war in Iraq," Pait said. "Dr. Jones did not intend to paint everyone with that broad a brush."

In February 2000, Bush spoke at Bob Jones University when he was running for his first term in the White House. At the time, the school banned interracial dating and included anti-Roman Catholic material on its Web site.

The private Christian college has since dropped the dating ban, but still maintains material questioning Catholicism on its Internet site.

Bush came under fire for the visit but defended it. He later wrote Cardinal John O'Connor of New York to apologize.

Deeman2
11-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Fortunately, as many of you have pointed out, Bush makes his own decisions, as any good president should.

If Kerry had been elected, received a letter from the Cummunist Party saying, "We supported you. Now outlaw God." Kerry would have not been moved to the left or right. A preseident is for all the people and this one has shown he doesn't take popular political roads because some one pressured him to do so.

This is one man's opinion who wants to jump on the band wagon with his agrenda. Is this a surprise? No, it's just more fodder for people how want to see Bush as evil. It didn't work before the election, it probably is not a winning strategy now. Most of us "believers" are much more moderate than Jones University and we are the base of voters.

He's right about one thing, Bush doesn't owe the liberals anything, except to be their president as well as everyone elses. I have faith he will serve all of us well. Please give him that chance.

Deeman

highsea
11-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Bob Jones is kind of a nut case. Someone once said, "The only thing wrong with Southern Baptists is that they didn't hold them under water long enough."

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

silverbullet
11-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Personally, Bush as I see Him:

The protestant denominations he was brought up in, are much more liberal than the ones that most fundamentals go to.

He married a christian woman, had a religious conversion experience after talking to Billy Graham (who as opposed to fallwell, is not so inclined to get into politics), and stopped drinking due to that and a few other things. Bush says he is a Christian, talks about Jesus and prayer, and has some beliefs which would lead fundamentalists to think that he is 'one of them'. While GWB claims to pray and read the Bible, I just do not see him as a serious 'Bible student'.

On the surface, he might have thought that he had a lot in common with evangelicals and aligned with them under that premise and/or to get their votes, but he may lack full understanding of all that they are and may be in for a big surprise.

I see Bush studying things relating to things he wants to know about pertinent to his presidency. He does not spend hours studying the Bible, that I am aware of.

His job is much bigger than catering to a bunch of 'zeolots' and there are things on his plate that take up way more time and are way more important than how many angels spin on the head of a pin. I do not see him catering to them, unless it politically benefits him.

When the appointments come up, we will see what he does, but it has been his trend to surround himself with those who support him, irregardless of creed, color or religious beliefs. He is cagy, and if he thought that appointing a buddist would serve him, I think that he would do that, also.

sb

silverbullet
11-12-2004, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> Someone once said, "The only thing wrong with Southern Baptists is that they didn't hold them under water long enough."

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Funny. It is certainly true after the fundamentals successfully took over the 'southern baptist convention' in the 80's. When I was growing up, since southern baptist churches had some autonomy, not being under nazii like rule, it was a mix. Some SB churches were tolerant, some were moderate, and some more fundamental. I guess the one I grew up in was moderate based on some of the teachings we got and some of the sunday school teachers were heavily into teaching about history, not just quoting verses. That is why that take-over upset me, and that church distanced itself from the fundamentalist dominated convention. If you pull that minister aside and ask him if a good person of another faith could go to heaven, he will grin and say that he does not know but it would not surprise him. LOL

When he did the memorial service for my dad, my friend who attended the 'unity' church said afterward, 'he is like no other baptist minister I have ever seen, it is like he is not baptist'. His name is Tom. He is a compassionate human being first and secondly a minister.

sb

PQQLK9
11-12-2004, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> Bob Jones is kind of a nut case. Someone once said, "The only thing wrong with Southern Baptists is that they didn't hold them under water long enough."

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

ROTFLMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wolfdancer
11-12-2004, 12:12 PM
LOL!!!!

Gayle in MD
11-12-2004, 01:12 PM
HA HA HA HA HA! what a scream, sorry folks, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
Thanks Highsea!
Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif