PDA

View Full Version : What does Mark Tadd Choose for a Cue?

trailboss
11-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Hi Mark! What do you look for in a cue? Please run it down for us from tip to bumper! Thanks!!

SUPERSTAR
11-12-2004, 03:14 PM
This should be interesting. I just watched an old tape of Mark Tadd playing Mike Sigel. And if i'm not mistaken....Mark was playing with what looked like....one of those old Cuetec style GRAPHITE cues. Where the butt AND shaft were covered in a greenish graphite coating.

I have always, and will always maintain that these cues are for the "tourist" pool players that have no clue what they are doing.
Now i play solid pool, but i can't make a ball with these things.
Just a testament to how talented Mark Tadd was back in the day.
Not only did he play jam up...he did it with a cue that most pro's would consider junk.

SUPERSTAR

marktadd
11-12-2004, 03:17 PM
i would like to get with a cue maker and build one myself. i have never had a cue that i liked every except a shon ot two ive hit with but was someones cue and they would not sale. but i tried to get used to some and did ok if i ever get a good hitting cue
that would be a first for me:)

Cueless Joey
11-12-2004, 03:39 PM
If I had time, I'd build you one. With golf tape wrap even. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

trailboss
11-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Yea Joey! I would make him one myself but, I am not a cuemaker! I really like your style! I hope Mark knows a lot of guys n gals here are pulling for him!

Popcorn
11-12-2004, 05:05 PM
What are you looking for in a cue?

Irish
11-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Get a Mikkelsen, back when you were playing pool he was one of the best players in Canada, top 5 for sure. He builds awesome cues now out of Calgary.

Jimmy B
11-12-2004, 06:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> If I had time, I'd build you one. With golf tape wrap even. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Like Earl's cue???

JB

marktadd
11-15-2004, 05:08 AM
not sure just know i havent found one yet . but getting close

Popcorn
11-15-2004, 06:14 AM
Why does that answer not surprise me? You may be the only player on this board who has no idea what kind of cue he plays with, or what weight, shaft size, wrap, tip and so on he likes.

marktadd
11-15-2004, 06:21 AM
mabey its cause i dont have my own cue yet? i dont know what i want in a cue cause id have to see how it hits. im not into fancy cues just good hiting ones.if it playes good then i will buy it and when i do i can answer you question

marktadd
11-15-2004, 06:27 AM
id sure hate to be married to you. all you do is put down and complain
this will be the last time i answer your ignorance and anyone that had that attitude. lot of imaturety in the pool world. or wana be pool players . if you leave players alone you may be a player someday.

Popcorn
11-15-2004, 06:47 AM
With all due respect, you should have recognized the original question by Trailboss was a token question as an attempt to let you participate in some legitimate discussion. You should have taken advantage of the opportunity it was so obvious. You can't even recognize when someone is trying to be nice to you.

Dagwood
11-15-2004, 08:42 AM
First of all Popcorn, his retort was towards you, not who asked the question, and secondly, he answered the question to the best of his ability right now. He doesn't have a cue right now, and isnt' sure what qualities he's looking for in the hit of the cue. Give the man time to figure it out. I'm sure that if he had a cue he liked, or knew what he wanted in the cue, he would have posted it. Cut him some slack Popcorn.

Dags

Popcorn
11-15-2004, 09:59 AM
I know every element I like in a cue whether the cue I am playing with lives up to it or not. By the way, I did ask the same question and go no answer either. I guess if he honestly has no idea, that's the answer.

cueball1950
11-15-2004, 10:27 AM
POPCORN.... the man has stated over and over that he has been away from the game for over 5 years now and totally gave up the game. got rid of everything. He also stated that he likes the hit of the old schon cues. Lets keep this man on this board with his knowledge and stories and lets not drive him away before he has a chance to get to know any of us. I feel that he will be an asset to all of us in the end...................................mike

Popcorn
11-15-2004, 10:43 AM
I apologize, your right, the tables have changed, balls are different, global warming, how could I expect him to know what weight cue and shaft size he likes. I will make him happy and not post to or about him any more. You ask him something, maybe he will answer you.

marktadd
11-15-2004, 10:02 PM
when someone is trying to be nice to me???????
remember your talking to someone who cant spell so i may not read between the lines well either. i can undersand most englisg . so straight understandable english please. remember im not that bright

ted harris
11-16-2004, 12:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I apologize, your right, the tables have changed, balls are different, global warming, how could I expect him to know what weight cue and shaft size he likes. I will make him happy and not post to or about him any more. You ask him something, maybe he will answer you. <hr /></blockquote>
Popcorn,
Mark is a different breed of pool player than maybe you or anyone else has ever seen...believe me! He has the most analytical mind I have ever seen in pool. He has an attention span that lasts for hours, and is the most disciplined player ever. I mean, he can break the balls or shoot the same shot for 12 hours at a time. Never seen anything like it! When he used to gamble with Efren, he would make Efren use his stick, and he would use Efren's stick, just to see if it was the cue. Mark has examined the game in ways that have never been done before by one player.
Maybe you could give the guy a break. He is being sincere in his replies...no hustle there. He is trying to figure out if playing pool is worth the effort. Maybe we can make make the atmosphere more enjoyable for him. Trust me, if he starts playing again, it will be better for all of us.

nhp
11-16-2004, 04:42 AM
Post deleted by nhp

Popcorn
11-16-2004, 06:08 AM
From the general gist of his posts he may have been better served if all the effort were directed in a more useful direction. At 39, going back and repeating the same mistakes does not so sound like a smart thing to do. He started out asking advice (Look up his original post at AZ), regarding the current money situation in pool and he received answers. He got some sound advice from giving lessons to maybe owning a small pool room that could provide him a steady living so he could pursue playing again with maybe a more positive outcome then he had in the past. This was from both boards he has been posting on. He has basically stated he just wants to play and even thinks someone with millions should donate it to pool payers sort of like charity. He doesn't seem to have any understanding how a business works, which is what pool tournaments are. This was the gist of most of the discussions and there was a disagreement between him and almost everyone who responded.

No one is discounting his abilities at pool, that was never in question nor I believe even a topic. He got his original question answered honestly and received what I think was some pretty good advice along the way. It was not what he wanted to hear I don't think. He should be talking to people like you who have made a nice living in the pool world and listen to what you have to say. He may be a good player but there is a lot he seems to know nothing about. What ever he is doing, isn't working from what I have been able to gain from his posts. Don't mistake honest advice as always being criticism, even my telling him he can use a word program to help his posting. He doesn't type very well yet and could compose his thoughts in a word program without even being on line and make nice clean posts. I would enjoy reading what he has to say and would prefer talking to him instead of about him.

There is no shortage of subjects on here to comment on if one wants to share and join in, no one is stopping him. My post on here about his poor spelling may be to worst thing anyone said to him since he started posting on these boards, and I apologized for that. I don't see where anyone other then that has even been rude to him. I am not sure why all these people feel the need to come to his defense, no one is attacking him at all. In fact everyone is waiting for him to share some of his experience. Make no mistake though, not everyone will just kiss his A or run for coffee, because he is a good player. Respect has to be earned on both sides. Most everyone, from what I have seen over the years who posts here, are thinking and well meaning people, I would like to think I also fall into that category as well. I am not the most articulate person in the world and I hope my thoughts come across clearly.

Popcorn
11-16-2004, 06:16 AM
I am sure you enjoy the name calling and perpetuating this, but Mark in a big boy and has not been mistreated and doesn't need you to speak for him. Maybe you can find a nice pool related subject to comment on.

nhp
11-16-2004, 06:31 AM
Yeah, I enjoyed all that, but I deleted the post so I won't get burned at the stake. Hope you realize how pissed off I am that other people are ruining the opportunity for me and others to talk to Mark on the forum. There sure are alot of egomaniacs on pool forums. When people are behind a computer, everyone thinks they are a champion when it comes to pool. The sad thing is they can't humble themselves just a little bit when a real champion comes around.

Popcorn
11-16-2004, 06:37 AM
I hope he does keep posting as well and I would like meeting him at a tournament and saying hello.

marktadd
11-16-2004, 08:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> From the general gist of his posts he may have been better served if all the effort were directed in a more useful direction. At 39, going back and repeating the same mistakes does not so sound like a smart thing to do. He started out asking advice (Look up his original post at AZ), regarding the current money situation in pool and he received answers. He got some sound advice from giving lessons to maybe owning a small pool room that could provide him a steady living so he could pursue playing again with maybe a more positive outcome then he had in the past. This was from both boards he has been posting on. He has basically stated he just wants to play and even thinks someone with millions should donate it to pool payers sort of like charity. He doesn't seem to have any understanding how a business works, which is what pool tournaments are. This was the gist of most of the discussions and there was a disagreement between him and almost everyone who responded.

No one is discounting his abilities at pool, that was never in question nor I believe even a topic. He got his original question answered honestly and received what I think was some pretty good advice along the way. It was not what he wanted to hear I don't think. He should be talking to people like you who have made a nice living in the pool world and listen to what you have to say. He may be a good player but there is a lot he seems to know nothing about. What ever he is doing, isn't working from what I have been able to gain from his posts. Don't mistake honest advice as always being criticism, even my telling him he can use a word program to help his posting. He doesn't type very well yet and could compose his thoughts in a word program without even being on line and make nice clean posts. I would enjoy reading what he has to say and would prefer talking to him instead of about him.

There is no shortage of subjects on here to comment on if one wants to share and join in, no one is stopping him. My post on here about his poor spelling may be to worst thing anyone said to him since he started posting on these boards, and I apologized for that. I don't see where anyone other then that has even been rude to him. I am not sure why all these people feel the need to come to his defense, no one is attacking him at all. In fact everyone is waiting for him to share some of his experience. Make no mistake though, not everyone will just kiss his A or run for coffee, because he is a good player. Respect has to be earned on both sides. Most everyone, from what I have seen over the years who posts here, are thinking and well meaning people, I would like to think I also fall into that category as well. I am not the most articulate person in the world and I hope my thoughts come across clearly. <hr /></blockquote>i dont remember asking for advice . i posted asking if there was money in pool. i then wrote i already knew the answer. and went in to how i felt . there is not much i dont know about how pool operates buisiness or not , ive known many pool room owners for 20+. my asking about donations was a topic you would have to read all posts not take one sentence to maqke your point i havent asked for people to bow down to me . it may seem like that i guess lol. but i have spent many hours defending myself. there are not a lot of posts for me to respond to cause i dont know everything about all posts like what are the rules to such and such, who is so&amp;so, what do you think about a certain tourny and so on. if you have a question to ask me directly then ask i will give the best answer if i know it. ive only had i question about what que i use. i gave best answer and was ridiculed for the answer lol go figure? mabey you have the notion that i want worship. never have when i was playing never will when i won tournys you would never know because i never jumped up and down . not that thats wrong but thats not how i am especialy now. hope that helps clears thing up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

also i spilles orange pop on my key board on my lap top and my keys stick so sometimes it doesnt type the letter . about 2 months ago . so sometimes i have missing letters cause i dont check my work. cause im a slow typer and that would make me even slower