PDA

View Full Version : I think this is the best (TIGHTENED) joint pin

justbrake
11-12-2004, 04:27 PM
I have a few cues,palmer,meucci,bcm,joss,helmsteter,adams,and had tried a predator quick-connect and I find that the jacoby joint has the best feel for tightening together a cue, they have this insert in the joint pin that makes quite a difference then others (connected) what is your favorite connect! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DeadStrokeMan
11-12-2004, 05:45 PM
I was curious - since I've never heard of this - so I searched on "jacoby joint"

Turned up ZERO. Got a link to this critter? Did you misSpell it ( eye tee BTW /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) ?

Post a link to a pic of it. I found the "United Joint" (Mezz) to be the best so far. There is the "Uni-Loc" joint - I've not had the pleasure to try that one out yet.

Oh - how about Vikings 'Quick Release' that enables you to UNDO you cue really fast after loozing with the Viking - LOL

BLACKHEART
11-12-2004, 08:04 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifSince you mentioned the Viking Quick Release joint, I can tell you that I have had 4 of these, cross threaded, in the last 3 months. Something's wrong there...JER

DeadStrokeMan
11-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Quick! Release it and sell it! QUICK! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

justbrake
11-12-2004, 08:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadStrokeMan:</font><hr> I was curious - since I've never heard of this - so I searched on "jacoby joint"

Turned up ZERO. Got a link to this critter? Did you misSpell it ( eye tee BTW /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) ?

Post a link to a pic of it. I found the "United Joint" (Mezz) to be the best so far. There is the "Uni-Loc" joint - I've not had the pleasure to try that one out yet.

Oh - how about Vikings 'Quick Release' that enables you to UNDO you cue really fast after loozing with the Viking - LOL
<hr /></blockquote>
the pictures didn't come out to good but this is a titleist(hoppe) cue by david jacoby and there is a clip inside the joint which makes the the tightest fit of all the cues i have ever felt, really snugged down and imo the best,you can feel the difference that this little clip can do,imo <font color="brown"> </font color>

http://jacobyjoint.mypicgallery.com/mpg/Route.asp

DeadStrokeMan
11-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Too fuzzy to tell - but it looks like a standard 5/16 14 joint. No way thats the best ... "United Joint" is TIGHT all the way down with a larger screw.

http://www.miki-mezz-europe.com/images/tech/jointsys/unitted_wavy.jpg

Check out these joints types:
http://www.predatorcues.com/english/jointsimage.jpg

I've not seen a close up of the "Uni-Loc" - but my guess is that it is a choice joint - Predator Z shaft is only configured for this joint.

Cueless Joey
11-12-2004, 10:58 PM
It can't be any better than the old Josswest "acme" 5/16 14 I think.
But, I don't like inserts anyway. I liked the radial and 3/8 11 SW pins.

SecaucusFats
11-13-2004, 12:44 AM
I have a Predator BK break cue with 314 Shaft and Uni-Loc joint. My biggest beef (although relatively minor) is that the joint tends to loosen every so often. I have overcome this by making sure it's tight every time I use it.

I have heard this same complaint from other Predator owners.

My personal favorites in terms of cue joints are the Radial joint, and the 3/8 10. The Radial has to got to be the tightest fit of all, and IMO it make the cue feel more like a one-piece cue.

SF

DeadStrokeMan
11-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Ok - Loosen up? Dang ...sounded/looked so kool. After reading this - Don't want to go there. Thanks for the input on this matter. In fact - I'm gunna talk to the predator folks about this since the 'Z' shaft is totally dependant on it.

justbrake
11-13-2004, 02:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> It can't be any better than the old Josswest "acme" 5/16 14 I think.
But, I don't like inserts anyway. I liked the radial and 3/8 11 SW pins. <hr /></blockquote>

I have the 3/8 10 radial pin to wood on my BCM cue and that doesn't compare to how this(5/16 14 joint with the clip puts them together , the metal clip is spring loaded and when you tighten down the butt and shaft it puts pressure on the both and at the end it feels like it's really joint together(with pressure) it has that extra half turn really snug , I guess you would have to try it and see it for yourself but imo it gives a more solid connection ( and for everyone that doesn't no what spring loaded i'm talking about is that the metal clip is springy (metal) "DAH"

Cueless Joey
11-13-2004, 02:31 AM
If it's tight you really want, the hole on the shaft can be undersized too then threaded for a 3/8 10 or 3/8 7.5 radial.
But, it will be inconvenient. The Mezz joint is also very tight. Sometimes way too tight when the wood swells a little.
A joint has to be snug but not too tight. What really matters most is the faces of the shafts and butts have to be totally square.

JohnnyP
11-13-2004, 02:56 AM
Oh no! I just ordered a 62" Viking SP with joint #3:

http://www.vikingcue.com/pages/cues/f78.html
http://www.vikingcue.com/pages/cues/joints.html

So I'm gonna lose more, and take longer to break down. arg.

The guys at DannyK's have been ragging on me to set aside an old friend (57", 17oz, 11.5mm) "Get a real cue, etc."

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/oldcue/both%20ends.jpg

Fred Agnir
11-13-2004, 06:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> I have a few cues,palmer,meucci,bcm,joss,helmsteter,adams,and had tried a predator quick-connect and I find that the jacoby joint has the best feel for tightening together a cue, they have this insert in the joint pin that makes quite a difference then others (connected) what is your favorite connect! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
IMO, the Schuler Joint is the best engineered joint in business.

Fred

justbrake
11-13-2004, 07:40 AM
hi- I've seen these types of joints before sort of on older cues! It looks like a good joint but not a new type, please let us know your oppion on it when you get it , good luck with your new cue!

justbrake
11-13-2004, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> I have a few cues,palmer,meucci,bcm,joss,helmsteter,adams,and had tried a predator quick-connect and I find that the jacoby joint has the best feel for tightening together a cue, they have this insert in the joint pin that makes quite a difference then others (connected) what is your favorite connect! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
IMO, the Schuler Joint is the best engineered joint in business.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Hi-Fred, do you have a schuler cue? is it really that good?
http://schulercue.com/products/incredibleschulerjoint.htm

BLACKHEART
11-13-2004, 08:58 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifI've seen Schuler cues damaged, when the joint is so tight, that two people were needed to get them apart...JER