PDA

View Full Version : Instant Rack Runner

DeadStrokeMan
11-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Holy Smokes! I just discovered 2 HUGE deals with my stroke/game.

1st off - NOISE. Noise of any kind was killing my game. The louder it gets, the more my game deteriorates. So today I went and got a set of ear plugs. OMG! It was INCREDIBLE - I was playing TO THE FULLEST ...Haven't had this kind of control in a long time. UNTOUCHABLE - LOL. Seems me brain has been processing all that trash, keeping me from my concentration. Rack Runnin' Fool!

2nd - Using that wrist too much. I "cut it off" (so to speak) for certain shots. I think that "wrist" play creeps in from LAZYNESS. Its just easy to "pop" shots with the wrist ...too much of that stuff becomes a habbit and then you don't even know what happened to you. The "slice" - I can slice on the pro side with confidence every time now. No more of that "eating too much ball panic stroke" - I discovered that the variance came from the wrist. Leave it out completely..dead hang it and use the arm only. Then, what you see is what you get. I stumbled into this event from reading someones question about wrist snaps and begame to become aware of my wrist in play. Playing 9 ball on the 10' snooker table FORCES your stroke into play - you cannot have even a tiny hair of deviance or you will *miss* for sure /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So - I'll be "ear pluggin" arm strokin' from hence force.

** HAPPY STROKIN' FOOL NOW **

Angel_R
11-12-2004, 08:46 PM
That's great! I'm not sure that music ever afects me when I shoot. I find I get so involved in my shooting, that I drown alot of the background out. I think it also comes from spending a majority of my pool shooting in loud music bars.

As for the wrist snap, I have never done that, it has always been the arm with a stiff wrist. I once knew a guy when I was in the Air Force that used his arm a little bit of the time and the wrist the rest of the time, if not most of the time. I remember wondering how he could consistantly make his shots that way. I guess that was just the way he learned and felt comfortable with. He did good. Now that i think about it, when I shoot, I seldom take my eyes off the table and often get hot from the concentration. Does that make sense? It may just be me. But it is nice when you don't have to worry about everything around you. I once started a league night at the place I shoot and there was 4-5 kids running around the room and under the table. Luckily they stopped before we actually started playing the leagues, but the practice time was crazy!

Take Care /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DeadStrokeMan
11-12-2004, 10:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Angel_R:</font><hr>As for the wrist snap, I have never done that, it has always been the arm with a stiff wrist. <hr /></blockquote>

Oh - I'm not saying "only wrist"- I'm saying that the wrist is 'a tad flakey'. You have to use your arm regardless. What I'm saying is that when you have "long shots" or "razer cuts with length" FREEZE up that wrist on the stroke and you'd be supprized at the accurracy you can pick up. Intentionally *avoid* the wrist from taking play in those type of shots. Same with combos ..anything that takes extreme precision

stickman
11-12-2004, 11:21 PM
I don't believe I have any problem with my wrist, but I might give earplugs a try. Noise is irritating to me. It's not a problem of hearing, I seem to hear everything and can't seem to be able to process the sounds into meaningful communication. I often ask people to repeat themselves, because the sounds aren't meaningful to me. In noisy environments, it is terrible for me. I just hear a jumble of noise. For instance, in the poolhall with the jutebox playing, a sports program on one of the tvs, and a group of loud people laughing and talking, next, someone asks me something, and all I can reply is "Huh?"

I like to hear the sounds of the pool table, but it is seldom quiet enough for me to enjoy it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
11-12-2004, 11:38 PM
HaHa My poor old brain probably works like and old computer. If there are too many applications running, and another command is entered, my brain says "your resources are running dangerously low, Please exit unused applications before proceeding" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DeadStrokeMan
11-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Get those "expandable spongy" kind of ear plugs - you try and let me know - I BET your game JUMPS UP right off the bat. Mine went to "NORMAL MODE" where it should be. My game was WAY MORE FUN! I was "dialed" in - could "speed shoot" like crazy - stroke stroke dump - stroke stroke dump...rythm mania. Its the kind of thing you get on Sat morning all alone in practice - total concentration is easy to find when you subtract all the B.S. out.

I have a problem "studying" sounds - always have. If I'm doing math and there is *ANY* music that I can - I'm fried. I'm A++ math student - turn on a song ... I can't even add /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Turns out that the portion of me brain that does the math is probably the same portion that keeps my stroke in line and clean - my bet is that it would work for you as well. Keep it secret - I got tourneys to win /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DeadStrokeMan
11-13-2004, 12:48 AM
We were discussing why some do better in the bars after boozin' up. Came to the conclusion that the booze "NUMBS" the those portions of the brain the are picking up all the distractions such that they "disAppear". In effect, they are wearing "ear plugs" of sorts.

Another thing I have to note. FUN. I had more FUN than I had in a while. Recall the thread I had about playing the drunkard who "stiffed" me on the money - I had a MISERABLE TIME. And I attributed much of that to :
Heat-Crowding-Smoke-NOISE!

I am going to play that nasty place again with plugs. Lets face it - I can't hear the talking of others even *W/OUT* the plugs because the collective noise is so darn loud. My bet is that I can "cruise" around the table in complete bliss and BLAST huge holes in the place. I have avoided the conditions and played the quiet afternoons and mornings there from time to time with a "bit" of action. But for real action (unfortunatly - this IS Utah ya know ) - have to hit Fri/Sat nights.