PDA

View Full Version : first 9-ball ruN!

youngtrane
11-12-2004, 10:22 PM
hey all,
i've been reading this forum for a while, but i just joined today. i read this forum regularly, and the advice you guys give is great. i'm a freshman in college, playin alot of 9-ball (and not doing enough physics homework unforunately, haha). i had my first run-out today, and it felt amazing.

and now a question: when you guys shoot, during the actual stroke and follow through where are your eyes? object ball? cue ball? pocket? i've been working with a couple great players here, who've improved my game immensely (everything from fundamentals to position play, with an older local and an upperclassman), and i just started looking at the object ball through the follow through and through the entire shot, which helps to see when my stroke isn't sending the ball excatly where i want it to. i've also been using the wavy stroke (ie mika immonen and the phillipino players), which the older player advises against, and the upperclassmen loves. personally, when the stroke is on, shots go in easily, but when its off , it's really off. how do u guys feel about that? too late to switch back?

thanks!
jonathan

DeadStrokeMan
11-12-2004, 10:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote youngtrane:</font><hr> i had my first run-out today, and it felt amazing.<hr /></blockquote>

Wow - I can remember when I started rackrunning ..like 20 years ago ( /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm so old ) - it was a rush. Then ... then trouble set into my stroke for the precise reasons you have listed - lol

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote youngtrane:</font><hr> when you guys shoot, during the actual stroke and follow through where are your eyes? object ball? cue ball? pocket?
<hr /></blockquote>

See all POCKET, OB, CB before you walk into the shot. Line up the shot with your right leg. Step into it and now see OB, CB, OB , CB as you line up your stroke. Finally *trust* your stroke enough to leave the CB and only watch the OB. Stroke stroke ...steady - STROKE. Eventually - trust your stroke until you can close your eyes! That trust is a relationship between your desires and your "stroking arm" = BE ONE.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote youngtrane:</font><hr> i've also been using the wavy stroke (ie mika immonen and the phillipino players), which the older player advises against, and the upperclassmen loves. personally, when the stroke is on, shots go in easily, but when its off , it's really off. how do u guys feel about that?
<hr /></blockquote>

Ok - Just my humble iddle' opinion here - LISTEN TO THE OLD FOGGIES! I say straight and level - your cue will naturally cast downward at the conclusion/rest of your stroke. (excluding pop-shots). It doesn't matter that some of the these fellas ended up with a "contorded swinging" stroke - that doesn't make it DYNAMICALLY CORRECT. If you are studying physics - I highly suggest you think of your cue as a battering ram - you want the force to go into/through the CB. Your concentration should be on 'nailing' the CB with the desired english and not on the "look of the swing". You will spend more time in the trenches trying to figure out what is wrong - Just level and clean.

Lay a beer bottle on the table (best if empty /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) - Shoot the cue into the beer bottle 2 or 3 inches - Stroke it into the bottle ... This is a fair way to work on your stroke ..don't hit the bottle

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote youngtrane:</font><hr> too late to switch back? <hr /></blockquote>

Never too late - Never. I did the same thing as you when I was young ... After "copying" everyone elses stroke for a few years ...I finally found my own and at 44 am still "finding" my stroke - thats the whole point /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

yegon
11-13-2004, 01:00 AM
I have never seen mika immonen use a wavy stroke. He is a former snooker player and his fundamentals are as good as it gets. I would give tons of money for the straight confident stroke he's got.

The Philipinos do have a loose stroke, but I guess there's not much to do in the Philipines so they play all day long for 30 years and with that kind of practice time down you could play with your feet :-) (just kidding - I respect the Philipino players very much - they are awesome)

Deeman2
11-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Jonathan,

Congratulations on your first runout. May you ahve many more. Stay with the flat and level stroke, it will leave you less complexities to figure out when you have those occasional slumps.

"Do your Physics homework!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Deeman
playing surragate Dad....

MINISTRY
11-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Congrats! I remember the feeling of my first break and run, good stuff.