PDA

View Full Version : GOLD CROWN ADVICE WANTED!

BritzSticks
11-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi Folks..I just ran across this Place 5 Minutes ago and REALLY need some advice. As I type, a Poolroom Addition is being built onto my house and I'm going with a 9' Gold Crown as the Table. I'm wondering about Gold Crown III's VS IV's and would Really appreciate some comments. I've heard that III's are a little different and maybe more difficult to set up than IV'S??? Are IV's Regarded as better tables? If I end up getting one of these on-line, like from a Popular Auction Site we all know..HOW Does one go about Shipping this? I live in Spokane, Washington. Are there shipping companies that Specialize in Shipping Tables and that would ALSO Take it down on the other end, if need be??? Any personal experiences with any aspect of these questions in general would be greatly appeciated. I played in 181 Local "Bar" Tournaments in ONE Years time ending last February. I then Sold my 8 Footer and started plans with this Pool room that is over budget and behind schedule, but should be done in about another 4 or 5 Weeks. I haven't shot ONE Game in about 2 Months and am about to go jump off of a cliff or something and WANT TO GET ALL OF THIS DONE...:)..Hope you're All doing Great...Nick..:)

HallofFame
11-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Hi,

I have a longer post here about Gold Crown III's somewhere.

When I was buying my table I consulted my friend and teacher Jimmy Rempe and he told me that the first half of the III's production had problems and the second half was okay, he didn't go into details about the problems with the early III's. Jimmy is pretty finicky about tables and it could just be something about them HE didn't like. So what I did is NOT even consider III's.

If you are still interested I'll talk to Jimmy tonight and ask him what the problem was with them.

Joe

JimS
11-15-2004, 07:56 AM
I've been told that the 3's are to be avoided but I can't remember why.... the legs aren't adjustable maybe??? Can't remember but I was steered towards 1's, 2's and 4's.

I would not buy it from an online auction. Too much hassle and too much room for shady deals to happen. I'd buy locally or maybe from a few hundered miles away but only if I had the opportunity to see it and play on it.

You might want to see about a Diamond. I sure llike mine and am glad I got it instead of the GC.

SnakebyteXX
11-15-2004, 08:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been told that the 3's are to be avoided but I can't remember why.... <hr /></blockquote>

The slates weren't dowelled in many of the III's leading to lots of headaches with tables that refused to stay level.

Manufacturing of the III's started about the time Brunswick switched to off-shore manufacturing to save money. Economizing on production included the use of cheaper Brazilian slate as opposed to the traditional (and some believe to be much higher quality) but more expensive Italian slate.

Snake

dave62959
11-15-2004, 11:25 AM
i have a gold crown 3, the legs are adjustable and it rolls great, i am well satisfied.

Pizza Bob
11-16-2004, 06:03 PM
I believe only the GC I's and II's were dowelled, III's and IV's are not. The GC III's are the least desirable, I's, II's and IV's are better choices. In my opinion I would rate them II, IV, I, III in terms of desirability, but some I's duplicate II's so there is no firm and hard rule. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob