PDA

View Full Version : 9 footers

Fasteddy7
11-14-2004, 10:06 AM
We just got big tables in Des Moines. We had them in the past but it has been a few years. The problem is they are Brunswicks with HUGE pockets. They are more like buckets. Will this hurt my game? It seems like I run out a lot but so does everyone else. Its more like a breaking contest. There is another pool hall scheduled to open soon and I'm sure it will have better tables/pockets. I have talked to the owners and they said that they might tighten up two tables. I find this to be a bad business decision. First of all the owners are not players per sa. It is good for our area to get new pool halls, I just hate to see the business go under. They have been open for only 2-3 weeks and when the other new hall opens I think it will be hard for them to make a decent profit, although, I may be wrong. I just cant see improving playing on tables with pockets as big as these. What do you guys think?

DeadStrokeMan
11-14-2004, 10:24 AM
I think it stinks. They "sell beers" with the BIG HOLES - :

"I like to play @#$####'s, I just do so well there ... must be the atmosphere"

Yeah yeah. My new table - 1942 has pockets that start at 4.5" and taper into 4". I think they are too big also. I am looking into purchasing rails that will CLOSE this gap some. I'd rather have about 3.5" hole with no taper - that'll keep your game tight. The 7' bar tables are so bad : There is more pocket than rail - lol - you can barely bank without dumping it into a pocket first - /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Sid_Vicious
11-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Depends on your game and the goals you have, but yes, big pockets hurt your game. If I were a PH owner I'd probably prefer big pockets though. The street people and especially the female halves will make more balls and buy more dirnks AND come back. Pool players, serious ones anyway don't fill a cash register...sid

Fasteddy7
11-14-2004, 11:30 AM
very true sid. Thats kinda the reason I got from one of the guys at the hall. Pool players drink pepsi and its hard to fill the register that way. Oh well.....