PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to become a pro?

Angel_R
11-14-2004, 08:33 PM
If you would of asked me this 20 yrs, ago, I would of said lots and lots of practice. But I often wonder when I see some of the mistakes made by pros today.

Granted they are going to make mistakes, have bad days, not get any rolls, have lack of concentration, etc, etc, etc...
I was just curious, is there a fee and so many pro matches or do they need to win a major and be a member of an organization? I really don't know and would like to know.

I'm not planning on going pro anytime soon, but maybe in 13 yrs. when I retire, I might want to know my options, ha ha ha!!

Just a question I had that popped in my head while practicing tonight. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DialUp
11-18-2004, 05:36 PM
By definition, if you get paid to play, you are a pro. More appropriately, if it is your main source of income.

However, I think you may be referring to getting on a pro tour. There are several pro tours out there. Look a few of them up and see if they have a web site with info on joining the tour...

Here is one (not insinuating you are female) that has info: WPBA Membership (http://www.wpba.com/cms/?pid=1000619)

Angel_R
11-18-2004, 09:09 PM
Thanks, but guy all the way! I was just curious to how some of these pros became pro. Nowadays you see some pretty young people in the pros and it made me think about it. I don't plan on seeing anything like that in my lifetime, unless after I retire from the regular workforce and go all in with pool. Do pro events allow amateurs? It's been a long tie since I played in any tournaments, but when they say "open" are they referring that anyone including pros can enter the event? Likewise, can I as an amateur play in an event that has some pro players? Just a thought and questin. thanks!

Angel "the man" Reyes hahaha

Rod
11-18-2004, 11:37 PM
About a million balls with feeling.

Jimmy B
11-19-2004, 02:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Angel_R:</font><hr> Thanks, but guy all the way! I was just curious to how some of these pros became pro. Nowadays you see some pretty young people in the pros and it made me think about it. I don't plan on seeing anything like that in my lifetime, unless after I retire from the regular workforce and go all in with pool. Do pro events allow amateurs? It's been a long tie since I played in any tournaments, but when they say "open" are they referring that anyone including pros can enter the event? Likewise, can I as an amateur play in an event that has some pro players? Just a thought and questin. thanks!

Angel "the man" Reyes hahaha <hr /></blockquote>

By definition an Open tournament is Open, anyone who pony's up the cash can play in an Open event, there are many regional "pro events" like the Zugland Joss Northeast tournaments and the Viking pro tour (midwest and south) that you can join and play in. Also some major events like the US Open, Derby City Classic, Sands (do they still have this?) Glass city (last week) and Midwest and Hopkins expos both run major tournaments that almost anyone can enter. Jump into the box and find out how far from pro you really are.

JB

dooziexx
11-19-2004, 08:31 AM
Angel,
Hey in my eyes you are a pro already. You are the talk of our wednesday nite league. Every where I go, I hear Angel this, Angel that... I think you are underhandicapped in APA lol.... Keep up the good shooting..
-Erik

Angel_R
11-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Hey Erik! You're killing me! Hahaha
I really do enjoy those Wednesday Leagues. Thanks for the compliment, I'll try not to let it go to my head! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I guess one of these days soon I'll try my hand at some of these big tournaments and see how I compare. right now, it's practice practice practice. Now that this "open" format has been explained to me better, I'll be able to set some goals for me.

Thanks eveyone for the insight. We'll see you on a Wdnesday night Erik! Take care. If you ever get over here to DeKalb, let me know, we'll shoot a few games at mi casa!
email me at angel_jennifer@msn.com if you know you'll be here.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif