PDA

View Full Version : How do you break a rack?

Angel_R
11-14-2004, 08:45 PM
I wanted to post this to see what eveyone is doing and thinking when they break a rack of 8-ball or 9-ball.

Personally, I break to the far left at the head string for nine ball or at center of table at head string about a ball's width to left or right of the center for 9-ball. I have to be real careful on the last one, because the cueball likes to go to the side pocket.

Now in 8-ball I place the cue ball, one and a half diamonds up from edge of table (head of table) and one diamond from the edge (left or right side. I like to place the cue on the rail and hit center ball straight on the first ball, usually the one ball when I rack the rack in practice. This way seems to get me the most action and more frequent break and runs.

Now, I have never had a coach and never knew anything about the thought process in the break, besides what I read in books, other than I wanted to move the balls alot and not scratch. Oh, and keep the ball in the center of the table. Is there any other ways out there to break any of you have had success?

Now the next question, open or closed bridge. I have had success in both, but don't have any particular reason for using one over the other.

Later!

gungadin
11-15-2004, 07:35 AM
Angel, I use two breaks in 8-ball. My preferred is the 2nd ball break, with my other break being on the 1st ball (1-ball). I set up on the left side just short of the headstring about 3-4 inches from the rail, hit low center at the second ball. This break works well in spreading the balls, even if you have an imperfect rack. It also moves the 8-ball much more and give you a better chance at sinking it on the break. This is a hard break to learn and requires a lot of practice. If you're off even a little, the ball can jump or end up in the corner pocket.

The other break I set up in the same spot but aim at a full ball hit on the one with just a little draw. If I don't try to kill it, losing a bit of control, I'm able to give the cue ball a chance at staying near the center.

JimS
11-15-2004, 08:02 AM
I have always been advised to use a closed bridge whenever shooting hard. The purpose of the closed bridge being to provide better control and hold the cue in place.

Deeman2
11-15-2004, 08:11 AM
How do you break a Rack?

<font color="blue"> Like a woman with bad skin. </font color>

Deeman

DSAPOLIS
11-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Check out these 2 links. they are 9 ball specific.

http://www.geocities.com/blkjackds12/The_Break.html

This first link covers how. It also tells you what to do, and what not to do.

http://www.geocities.com/blkjackds12/MasteringBreak.html

This second link explains how to perfect your break.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck &amp; God Bless

Stretch
11-15-2004, 07:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Angel_R:</font><hr> I wanted to post this to see what eveyone is doing and thinking when they break a rack of 8-ball or 9-ball.

Personally, I break to the far left at the head string for nine ball or at center of table at head string about a ball's width to left or right of the center for 9-ball. I have to be real careful on the last one, because the cueball likes to go to the side pocket.

Now in 8-ball I place the cue ball, one and a half diamonds up from edge of table (head of table) and one diamond from the edge (left or right side. I like to place the cue on the rail and hit center ball straight on the first ball, usually the one ball when I rack the rack in practice. This way seems to get me the most action and more frequent break and runs.

Now, I have never had a coach and never knew anything about the thought process in the break, besides what I read in books, other than I wanted to move the balls alot and not scratch. Oh, and keep the ball in the center of the table. Is there any other ways out there to break any of you have had success?

Now the next question, open or closed bridge. I have had success in both, but don't have any particular reason for using one over the other.

Later! <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Angel. I've been useing this break with great success lately. Place the cueball on the headstring aprox. 1 and 3/4 diamonds out from the side rail. when your sight the shot line up the head ball on the rack with the ball behind and to the left of the 8 ball. They make a natural combination long bank,(if the rest of the pack were not there). When i get them lined up, i visualize hitting through the head ball and onto that ball in behind the 8 ball to make a hard long bank. If you are lined up properly the result is a full ball hit on the headball and the trick of adjusting your stroke to hit through the pack to the second ball gives you a very "heavy" contact. Don't ask me how or why. But it does. Use half a tip above centre on the cueball when you hit it and provided you get a good nose hit it will rebound and the slight forward rotation on the cue ball will brake it to a stop in the centre of the table. If you follow through the pack on the break, just aim slightly lower on the cue ball. Good luck with it! St.

Angel_R
11-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I will try them right away. Blackjack, I read your link and it made alot of sense. I was reading where Corey D. is breaking a soft nine ball break, which some people question but is not illegal. It makes all the sense in the world not to hit them so hard that they come back in to the center and you lose control of the cue ball. I would say I probably strike the rack at about 90 % power. I will try the nine ball break alot softer with more mind on control and the aim you suggest. and see how I like it. Right now I play 8-ball for leagues and use the nine ball game for practice, with drills of course. I find nine ball practicing makes the level of my eight ball game sky rocket. I think I visited your website but quite remember how I got there, can you post the link?

Thanks Again!

P.S. I plan on trying the eightball break as well. Sounds like pretty interesting stuff /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JimS
11-16-2004, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the links Dave.

I have a question that fits in this thread.

What is a cut break? I've not seen any explanation of how a cut break is hit.

DavidMorris
11-16-2004, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr>What is a cut break? I've not seen any explanation of how a cut break is hit. <hr /></blockquote>
FWIW, I've always known a cut break as a break where you don't hit the headball full-on, i.e. you "cut" the headball. Unless there is some other meaning I'm not aware of...