PDA

View Full Version : Angel Paglia Racking up wins on pro billiards tour

PQQLK9
11-14-2004, 09:35 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/pics/breaking/1115pool15Z6.jpg
Chandler resident Angel Paglia has moved to No. 27 in world rankings.

Racking up wins on pro billiards tour

Ty Young
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 15, 2004 12:00 AM

It's safe to say that few people can claim they are one of the world's best. But you can remove Angel Paglia from that list after the Chandler woman recently skyrocketed into the top 30 rankings of the Women's Professional Billiard Association.

Only nine months after turning professional, the 26-year-old has made an impression among the veterans in the only professional women's billiards organization in the world. After joining the WPBA tour in January, she has moved from unranked to 87 and now to 27 in the world rankings. She has earned more than $9,700 in prize money so far and recently signed a sponsorship deal with Billiards 4 U in Mesa.

The tour consists of eight tournaments. The final four matches of each event are broadcast on ESPN.

In October, she went up against then-world No. 1 Allison Fisher at the Women's U.S. Open 9-Ball in Albuquerque. Paglia put up a good fight, losing 9-7 in the second round. She also made it into the second round of the 2004 Women's 9-Ball Championship in Lincoln City, Oregon last week , falling to No. 12 Kim Shaw, 9-7.

Despite her accomplishments, Paglia said she is not satisfied and is ready to really break out soon.

"I worked my whole life and played whenever possible," she said. "Considering that I'm not done, I'm only part way to my goal."

Paglia was 10 when her father introduced her to the game. Within hours, she was able to judge angles, speed and power, something that most novices take years to learn. She won her first amateur tournament three years later.