PDA

View Full Version : Stamina

Cuemage
05-19-2002, 06:54 PM
I need some suggestions on how to keep it late in tournaments. You know, after about 6 hours straight. Lack of stamina hurt me recently in a late AM tourney. I'm debating cutting practice time to work out. Thanks...

Tha Cuemage

Tom_In_Cincy
05-19-2002, 07:07 PM
Cuemage,

This is usually during the week, when its up at 6 am and work all day and start a tournament at 8 pm.. by midnite.. the tank is reading empy.

10 years ago I might still have a quarter of a tank left. But now that I am in my mid 50s.... tires are getting bald, and there is the possibility of a loose nut behind the steering wheel.

Love those Sunday Noon tournaments.. I can stay up til 7 pm and still get some sleep for Monday..

I exercise, eat better than I did 20 years ago.. (no fried food) and all the energy I have is devoted to work and play. More now to work than to play.

MikeM
05-19-2002, 07:34 PM
Workout and while you are playing, drink lots of water. It makes a big difference the later it gets.

MM

cheesemouse
05-19-2002, 08:18 PM
Cuemage,
Like Tom, I am in my mid fiftys.
Here's one that doesn't require a life style change just some personal will power...Leave the building in between matches even if it's only for 30 mimutes, don't watch other matches, don't talk pool with anyone and convince yourself that everything you do while not in a match is saving energy for the matches to come. If I watch matches I can convince myself that the balls are cubes. LOL.....listening to other players 'air pool' discriptions is exhausting in its self.
All of the above is hard for me to do as I enjoy watching pool as much as playing but when you watch your body is physiologically playing only unconciously like when you dream you just ran the New York Marathon upon waking up your kind of tired.......boy that sounds like goobull-de-gook, huh???

05-19-2002, 09:10 PM
Carry a second set of shoes in the car and get the dogs a fresh set of tires when you sense the time. The feet are the secret, at least to begin with. It works...sid

Rod
05-19-2002, 10:45 PM
Yes we all need happy feet. Not a bad Idea sid and along with that I do excersise my legs, especially if I was going to play in a long tournament. When the legs go, there goes the foundation. As someone else mentioned, if at all possible get the hell out of the room.

JimS
05-20-2002, 06:20 AM
Don't forget to eat a little every couple hours. The body and the brain got to have fuel to burn. Some water on the face and the back of the neck also help this 59 yr old. I also meditate when I get out of there for a while and I also change shoes.

Back in December I got fed up (so to speak) with being fat so I've lost 55 lbs since then and this has made a big difference in my stamina.

Doctor_D
05-20-2002, 06:34 AM
Good morning:

Earlier this year I competed, as a single, in a straight pool league here in NYC. The league, which started at 5:30PM on a week night, proved to be more then I could handle from a physical and concentration standpoint. I learned, all too quickly, that you CAN NOT get up at 4:00AM and work all day and expect to compete effectively from 6:00PM through 8:00PM. Yes; the body was willing however, by that hour of the early evening, the brain was in total meltdown. My marathon practice sessions, 6 to 7 hours of drills and/or competitive practice, have helped with the physical aspect of the game. However, when the brain melts down, you will need to reboot after a healthy period of rest.

Dr. D.

Eric.
05-20-2002, 09:13 AM
I find that regular exercise with vitamins/good diet works for me. I know, I know, another fitness kook... Seriously, If you're not into a regular workout schedule, you should try it. I find that my energy/stamina is more consistant when I workout.
If you don't want to be the next Jack LaLanne, try this:
-no caffeine/sweets/alcohol/nicotine the day of the tourny
-frequent walks between matches to keep you awake
-drink plenty of water all day so you don't dehydrate
-take a multivitamin, drink a big glass of juice, eat some complex carbs(bowl of cereal?)with fruit,bananas,strwberries 1 hour before heading out
-don't overeat during the match; no hamburgers

Works for me.

Eric >knows we're not Olympians, but hell, it works
Eric >

Cuemage
05-20-2002, 04:21 PM
Thanks everybody! Looks like me & tha recumbent bike have some plannin to do...
No wonder the young guys are winnin everywhere...jees

Tha Cuemage