PDA

View Full Version : Good Showing for Gerda & Tiffany at WPBA Event

Chris in NC
11-15-2004, 07:45 AM
Just checked the brackets and final results for the WPBA tourney which finished up last night. It was encouraging to see Gerda Hofstatter playing well again. Her runner-up finish is her highest finish in a WPBA tourney in at least 4 years, her last win coming back in 1999 at Amerstadam in NYC. I also heard she recently won the NY State Women's Open title defeating Karen Corr for that one. Gerda must have played strong in beating Kelly Fisher 7-0 in the first televised match, then defeating Allison in the semi-final televised match (that score was not given) to make it to the finals, although falling short to Karen. Having played so few televised matches in the past 4-5 years, that's quite a feat! For those that may not know Gerda is a full-time college student now and in her junior year, so her practice time is likely quite limited.

Also congrats to Tiffany Nelson for a solid 5th place finish, including a big win over Ga Young Kim. Being such a good player at such an early age (finishing runner-up at one of her first WPBA tour events at the age of 13 or 14 over 10 years ago, many of us expected big things of Tiffany before now. However, I must keep reminding myself she's still only 23 or 24 and did attend and finish college! Maybe this will be a breakthru for Tiffany that can propel her to becoming a consistent top 5 player on the tour.

There's no question that the quality of the women's tour after Allison and Karen is really improving, particularly with the emergence of Ga Young Kim and I'm sure very soon to include Kelly Fisher as well. Kelly Fisher has had very good performances in her first 2 or 3 events including a win over Allison Fisher among others.

It's just too bad the women's tour still has such a limited number of tournaments on their annual schedule. I am tickled to see that Rocky Mount, North Carolina of all places will host the first WPBA tour stop of the year next year! This will be the first WPBA tour tournament in the southeast (other than in Miami) since the Charlotte tournament 4 years ago. - Chris in NC

Vagabond
11-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Hey chris in NC,
How are u?I know that u are a big fan of Tiffany like me.We have been waiting for that big win for 10 years like cactus waiting for rain in the desert.BTW I find Ga young Kim playing eratic in a critical phase of the match.Once she corrects that problem and matures in the game, she can win more WPBA tournaments.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Vagabond

wolfdancer
11-15-2004, 10:52 AM
thanks for the update, and commentary

Barbara
11-15-2004, 11:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr>I also heard she recently won the NY State Women's Open title defeating Karen Corr for that one. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually Chris, Gerda ran over Karen 7-0 en route to meeting up with Dawn Hopkins for the finals. Dawn won the hot seat over Gerda. Gerda eventually won, 7-5, 7-2.

Barbara~~~finally wrote the article-&gt; go to here and scroll down (http://www.newt9ball.com/news.htm)

DennyS
11-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Congrats to Gerda and Tiffany!

wolfdancer
11-15-2004, 01:03 PM
You can write??? and play pool??? Nice article, and that's the first mention I've heard of Fran Crimi, since she left the board...our loss...I enjoyed her posts.
I just couldn't get down to Lincoln City,Or. this past weekend to see the "gals" in action...hope someone posts the results.
Carol Clark, and Barbara Stock....never heard a dem...are they two, young, upcoming players???

Barbara
11-15-2004, 05:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> You can write??? and play pool??? Nice article, and that's the first mention I've heard of Fran Crimi, since she left the board...our loss...I enjoyed her posts.
I just couldn't get down to Lincoln City,Or. this past weekend to see the "gals" in action...hope someone posts the results.
Carol Clark, and Barbara Stock....never heard a dem...are they two, young, upcoming players??? <hr /></blockquote>

Hey jd!!

I'm just a hack! Although Tina and I went hill-hill in our first match! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I need to get some motivation to practice! Carol's going places this year. She's second in line to the invited WPBA spots from Val Finnie. It's going to be an interesting year... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Barbara