PDA

View Full Version : Flying with Cues

ryushen21
11-15-2004, 11:40 AM
I am going to be leaving the country in January and my new Omen is going to be coming with me. I know that most airlines won't allow you to carry a cue on with you. Will the cue be ok in with the regular luggage. It seems like a i heard someone talking about the pressure (or lack thereof) messing up cues. Is there any truth to that. I have invested a decent chunk of money in this cue and definitely do not want to see it get messed up shortly after i get it.

Papasmurf
11-15-2004, 11:50 AM
I bought a travel case with a lock that fits my whole pool case inside (I think it was from Porper). Most Airlines insure your pool cue up to $2500 then it cost extra. Just make sure when you check in because they will not allow it to be carried on board.

Barbara
11-15-2004, 12:00 PM
And when you declare value over $2500, the airline personnel are supposed to pick up your parcel upon arrival and hand it to you. It's not supposed to come out with the other luggage. I found this out the last time I came back from Vegas and I picked my cue up at baggage claim with the rest of the baggage.

Barbara~~~was not happy with the airline people...

Chopstick
11-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Don't beleive anything an airline tells you. There's wholesale theft going on by their own employees and they and the police know about it. They have fine print everywhere that says they aren't responsible. Ship it FedEX or some other route. Speaking from personal experience. They got me for $1000.

highsea
11-15-2004, 02:01 PM
If you are leaving directly on an International flight, you may be able to carry it on. Ask the airline. I carried my cue in the cabin from Costa Rica to the US, then I had to check it with my baggage for my domestic flight.

BLACKHEART
11-15-2004, 03:44 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifIf you ship your Q Fed X or UPS to your hotel, HOW DO YOU SHIP IT BACK? WHERE DO YOU TAKE IT, TO SHIP IT ?...JER

Barbara
11-15-2004, 04:11 PM
JER,

If I'm missing your point, let me know.

Assuming you successfully shipped your cue to where you wanted to go, on return, why not ship it to a trusted friend if you know no one will be home where you live?

Barbara

BLACKHEART
11-15-2004, 04:57 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifLet's say you ship your Q to the hotel in Vally Forge. When you go to leave the hotel, to come home,is there a place IN THE HOTEL, where you can take it to have it shipped? OR do you have to locate the nearest UPS office. That's my question...JER

Barbara
11-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Jer,

Contact the Scanticon at 610-265-1500 about shippers going back to where you are. I would guess that some are 24/7 in hours and can make a pick-up at a specified Sunday time. And remember, this is Sunday afternoon around 3 pm when the vendors close up. That is how some of the vendors operate.

HTH,

Barbara

Jimmy B
11-15-2004, 06:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> I am going to be leaving the country in January and my new Omen is going to be coming with me. I know that most airlines won't allow you to carry a cue on with you. Will the cue be ok in with the regular luggage. It seems like a i heard someone talking about the pressure (or lack thereof) messing up cues. Is there any truth to that. I have invested a decent chunk of money in this cue and definitely do not want to see it get messed up shortly after i get it. <hr /></blockquote>

I have never heard of any pressure issues, that's not to say that it might not be true, but I doubt it. What I have done since the 9-11 bane on certain things is travel with a giant duffle bag. I pack all my clothes along with my case in there, the clothes act as good padding for the case and it doesn't let the baggage handlers know that there may be an expensive cue in it (no need to temp them). Not only does it go under the radar but I'm sure it looks like I'm some poor college kid who can't afford luggage. It's also a bright color and much easier to locate then the same ole black bag with the wheels and pull up handle that everyone seems to own now.

JB

petel
11-16-2004, 06:59 AM
Before 9-11 I was traveling to the airport on my way to LasVegas when I received a call on my cell phone from a customer who wanted to meet with me in Baltimore for a quick meeting. At my hometown airport I had to switch my flights around - now to Baltimore then to Vegas. Anyway after my meeting in Baltimore I went to the airport and found that I had to go standby on my 2nd leg (Atlanta to LasVegas). I was not able to connect on the next ATL flight and had to wait. When I finally arrived in Vegas, there was no luggage. Fortunately I carried my cue with me. The luggage handler told me that they scanned my luggage and it made it to the carousel. Well it circled there for over an hour. No one around, guess what? Stolen. I had one weeks worth of clothes in it, all gone. The airline did reimburse me but only $2,400. I was lucky as some airlines only go to $1,200. Anyway, check the fine print on your ticket to be sure about the liability amount. I may be only $1,200.

Fred Agnir
11-16-2004, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> I am going to be leaving the country in January and my new Omen is going to be coming with me. I know that most airlines won't allow you to carry a cue on with you. Will the cue be ok in with the regular luggage. It seems like a i heard someone talking about the pressure (or lack thereof) messing up cues. Is there any truth to that. I have invested a decent chunk of money in this cue and definitely do not want to see it get messed up shortly after i get it. <hr /></blockquote>

I think it's been said in the past that the cargo compartments must be pressurized and heated. Most people travel with stuff in their luggage that would explode with the extra 8 pounds of pressure difference. There are also the people who travel with pets.

Commercial Pilot's Response (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;c2coff=1&amp;selm=T5Xa8.6824%24Nf3.40 7388%40bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net)

Fred

Chopstick
11-16-2004, 07:51 AM
I had to do this in Vegas this year. The hotels there had shipping offices right in them. They can send and receive packages for you. For smaller hotels I would have it held for pickup at the local FedEx of UPS terminal.

wantsumrice
11-16-2004, 09:31 AM
So it isn't advised to try and carry-on the cue?

Wally_in_Cincy
11-16-2004, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> So it isn't advised to try and carry-on the cue? <hr /></blockquote>

Chances are about 99% that they will not let you carry it on. You can try, but be prepared to check it.

Ives
11-16-2004, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Papasmurf:</font><hr> I bought a travel case with a lock that fits my whole pool case inside (I think it was from Porper). Most Airlines insure your pool cue up to $2500 then it cost extra. Just make sure when you check in because they will not allow it to be carried on board. <hr /></blockquote>

My wife travels alot, the last time she tried to check her luggage she had it locked, they told her she had to leave the lock off in case it needed to be searched. I would call the airline and ask about cue cases and if they can be locked or not. just a thought.

DavidMorris
11-16-2004, 12:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr>My wife travels alot, the last time she tried to check her luggage she had it locked, they told her she had to leave the lock off in case it needed to be searched. I would call the airline and ask about cue cases and if they can be locked or not. just a thought. <hr /></blockquote>
That's what I was thinking. Everytime I or a famly member has flown since 9/11, we've been told to remove our locks from luggage or risk having them cut off. Even my daughter, a U.S. Marine, cannot padlock her Marine issue duffel bag when she flies commercial on official Marine Corps. assignments.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-16-2004, 01:32 PM
yeh I wouldn't even bother putting a lock on it. They'll just cut it off.

SpiderMan
11-16-2004, 02:10 PM
I "lock" my luggage with zip ties. No real damage if they decide to inspect (most often they have not), and the ties keep the zippers from opening and spilling all my snack food. Plus, I know my own zip ties, so I can tell if the bag was opened and re-secured. Not that the knowledge is useful, but it's there.

SpiderMan

highsea
11-16-2004, 02:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> So it isn't advised to try and carry-on the cue? <hr /></blockquote>On domestic flights, you cannot carry your cue in the cabin. My flight was an International flight, so I had no problem boarding with my cue. But my flight did not originate in the US, though it was an American carrier.

Most airports have a separate terminal for International flights. You take all your stuff there before checking in. If Rushyen21 is not taking a domestic flight to a connection point, he may be permitted to carry his cue in the cabin. It's something he has to check with the airline. Cues are permitted on International flights, even if it's a US airline. The TSA only has authority on domestic flights.

Terry
11-16-2004, 05:19 PM
I just went to Australia from eastern Canada ( International Flight ) via Air Canada the end of oct. and I was NOT allowed to carry my cue case on board, it had to be checked with our luggage. They put fragile stickers on it and thats the best they'd do, I wraped my case in lots of bubble wrap and pu it in a tent bag so it wouldn't look too inviting. I also talked to a lady at one of the airports who had luggage locked, they cut the zipper ends and all off her case. Terry

ryushen21
11-16-2004, 05:44 PM
From my understanding i should be flying directly from Dallas to London. But I will have to check the fine print. I definitely appreciate all the advice you guys have given me because i was definitely unaware of that insurance thing that the airlines due. My cue is pretty much the most important thing that i will be traveling with. Clothes and other things can be replaced. But that cue is gonna mean a lot.

JimS
11-17-2004, 07:52 AM
I don't intend to fly anywhere ever but...

If I was gunna fly I'd just buy a nice hitting sneaky pete to play with when traveling. I'm not putting my playing cue in any cargo hold. Period.

Fred Agnir
11-17-2004, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I don't intend to fly anywhere ever but...

If I was gunna fly I'd just buy a nice hitting sneaky pete to play with when traveling. I'm not putting my playing cue in any cargo hold. Period. <hr /></blockquote>Just in case anyone hasn't thought about this, if you order a cue and have it shipped FedEx, it goes in a cargo hold, which might be better for the cue than being in a truck going across the country.

Fred

Irish
11-17-2004, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Papasmurf:</font><hr> I bought a travel case with a lock that fits my whole pool case inside (I think it was from Porper). Most Airlines insure your pool cue up to $2500 then it cost extra. Just make sure when you check in because they will not allow it to be carried on board. <hr /></blockquote>

Say what? The airline I moved to Australia on (Air Canada and Singapore Airlines) sure as hell did not insure my cue. I asked them if it was insured, no, they only insure clothes and travel stuff, they would not insure my cue or even had extra insurance I could have bought. It was basically tough [censored] for me if the cue was damaged or stolen, so it is back in Canada still... It makes me sick that they could tell you you cannot take a pool cue on board a plane due to their lame ass rules and then they tell you furthermore that they will take no responsibility for that cue that they force you to check.

I seriously doubt a person would have a very good chance of hijacking a plane with a pool cue, 100 other people on the plane would be able to subdue them in those tight quarters with ease. Plus, I would rather deal with a pool cue weilding foe then someone using a expensive mechanical pencil as a weapon, and those are let on the plane np, even though in the wrong trained hands they are way more lethal then a cue.

It is s lame [censored] rule, did not happen until 9-11. I took my cue as carry on tons of times before that and now the whole of airlines want to be dinks about it, although I doubt anyone has ever tried anything sever with a cue onboard all those years they were allowed.

Jimmy B
11-17-2004, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> So it isn't advised to try and carry-on the cue? <hr /></blockquote>On domestic flights, you cannot carry your cue in the cabin. <hr /></blockquote>
Last May on my way to Vegas for the BCA tournament I fly NW and had a layover in MN. In any event while waiting for my connecting flight I saw a few people with cue cases so I asked them what they had, they laughed at me like I was a fool&gt; I laughed them, said I know, but flying with cues is against the rules of the airlines. The guy looked at me and told me he has been going to Vegas for 6 years now and has done it every year. I was to aggravated to explain to him about 9-11, so I have no idea what the rules are now, but if you live in MN you may be able to fly with a cue on NW airlines.

JB

Rangercap
11-17-2004, 10:57 AM
If you ever wanted to ship your cue somewhere, i.e. to a hotel, or such, you can preprint a shipping label, from your hotel address, back to your house. UPS.com will allow you to preprint a shipping sticker, and you could leave the package at the front desk. Hotels usually have daily dropoff/pick up service, or you can actually call UPS and have them come to the hotel and pick it up directly from you. You can create two separate shipments, one to send the cue, take the other sticker with you, and reuse the same package you sent it back. And, you can pay for it all by credit card and don't have to worry about finding UPS store or such. I actually add an extra pound to the shipping, since the rates don't change much, and just in case i get some souvenirs for the way home.

bb

DavidMorris
11-17-2004, 01:02 PM
Another thing to consider if you travel a lot with your cue and want to ship it, is to open your own FedEx/UPS account. They're free. I have my own FedEx and UPS shipper accounts for eBay purposes. It's great, and you have an account number that shipping gets billed to just like a company. So you can easily pre-print your shipping labels as Rangercap said and have everything taken care of ahead of time.

BTW I recommend FedEx over UPS. UPS has mangled far FAR more packages with me than FedEx. About 1 in 5 UPS deliveries has a mangled box. A recent UPS shipment had -- I kid you not -- tire tread marks on it. And FedEx Ground costs the same or LESS than UPS Ground, in fact.

Terry
11-17-2004, 09:56 PM
Hi Irish, were you at the Cue Club or at the TV studio in Australia during the World Juniors, i'm wondering if we had talked but I don't think I talked to anybody who mentioned they had moved their from Canada. Terry

highsea
11-17-2004, 11:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr>...so I have no idea what the rules are now, but if you live in MN you may be able to fly with a cue on NW airlines.

JB<hr /></blockquote>That's a surprise. This is from the TSA website: [ QUOTE ]
Transporting Special Items

Transporting Sports Equipment

New screening guidelines prohibit certain sporting equipment from being brought on-board an aircraft. These items include:

Baseball bats
Bows and arrows
Cricket bats
Golf clubs
Hockey sticks
Hunting knives
Martial arts devices
Pool cues
Scuba knives
Ski poles
Spear guns
Any other equipment determined by the screener to be dangerous such as Ice Skates.

While these items are prohibited from your carry-on baggage, they may be transported to your destination in your checked baggage. Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners. <hr /></blockquote>
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1038.xml

Irish
11-18-2004, 03:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Terry:</font><hr> Hi Irish, were you at the Cue Club or at the TV studio in Australia during the World Juniors, i'm wondering if we had talked but I don't think I talked to anybody who mentioned they had moved their from Canada. Terry <hr /></blockquote>

I was at some of the TV matches. Missed the finals, but saw the Wu's smoke their semi final opponents.