PDA

View Full Version : Billiard Sanctuary Academy of the Cueing Arts DVDs

jpeters
11-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Hi Everyone,
Just purchased the newest set of Billiard Instructional DVd's from Master Instructor Timothy White from the BSACA and I must say that they are the best I have ever seen. The information (knowledge) here is light years ahead of anything I have read or seen. My game has improved to almost perfection in my mind in a short period of time. I never thought I could have ever played this well with so much confidence. I was just wondering if anyone has had the same results from them that they would like to share with me. I am very interested in talking about my my happiness.

Bob_Jewett
11-15-2004, 07:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jpeters:</font><hr>... The information (knowledge) here is light years ahead of anything I have read or seen. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Could you tell us -- maybe in a general way, if you feel you have to protect secrets -- the sorts of points that were covered that you feel were particularly helpful? Were there any points that contradict the usual teaching that really stood out?

jpeters
11-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi Mr Jewett,

I purchased the 1st series 1-5 about a year ago and began working on the techniques Tim explained in the stroke. I have never seen or heard of it explained that way and it all made perfect sense and when I applied the information I was striking the cue ball like when I hit a pure golf shot. It was so easy. The second series I just received is more detailed in explaining visually what I need to do as far as the specific movements in the preparation to the shot. I never would have thought that there is so much involved. He explaines in 6 easy steps the movements I need to do to get into a set position perfectly. At that point I feel like I have the confidence to just stroke the ball using the information from Volume 1. He calls the 6 steps the 6 point methodology and I can attest that it really puts me a a perfect alignment to the shot. Step #1 is Horizontal Line Up, Step #2 is Vertical Lock, Step #3 is Chin Lock, Step #4 is Bridge Placement and the last step is Guide Down. The system seems to be very scientifically thought out and it really works. I see Allison doing this now very clearly but never understood it like I do now. I have watched all 10 now about 4 times and everytime I watch them I pick up more and understand more. I have many other videos and can't see myself ever watching them again.
Tims aiming system is wonderful too. He takes each angle and assigns it a name which is linked to a picture. Each picture is created by 1/2 tips so instead of trying to hit the spots I just try to recreate that picture. It is so much easier and the great thing is that the pictures are all clear to me now only after a couple weeks of playing.
I can't wait until the next ones come out. What do you think of them?

HallofFame
11-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Hi,

All this sounds awful familiar

Tim White, isn't he the Australian who used to write for "Inside Pool"

There was a series of articles over the years by different writers, "The Monk"; is one that comes to mind, of Inside Pool that covered the points you mention; the "chin"; thing is what triggered my recollection of these articles.

The aiming/hit systems seems to be an offshoot of the billiard hit zone systems that many top billiard players use to navigate three rail hits along with the basic 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 object ball hit zones.

Different writers come across differently to readers, Tim just portrayed these, and I'm sure other, systems in a manner that jogged your learning process and you instantly connected with him; whatever works for you is best.

I do remember Tim had a great article about breaks in one of those older issues of "IP"

Joe

cuechick
11-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Maybe it's just me, but when I see someone, brand spankin' new sign on and immediately start promoting a product, as though they are an innocent consumer, I have to wonder? No introdution? no, 'hey I am new to this board...'?, no info at all on there profile? I just tend to believe they are some how going to benefit from the sales of these "amazing" tapes...
Maybe I am jaded but I smell a rat.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
11-16-2004, 09:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> ...Maybe I am jaded but I smell a rat.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif <hr /></blockquote>

you ain't the only one

Popcorn
11-16-2004, 10:03 AM
My radar is always up, but I still like to hear what someone has to say. It can be sticky on here a little because legitimate advice may be mistaken for an ad. I get a few trade mags that I buy only for the advertising. I want to see whats new.

jpeters
11-16-2004, 11:06 AM
HI Joe,
I haven't seen any of the articles Tim wrote in the magazine, were they good? Can you post one for me if you have one. I don't think Tim is Australian, he doesn't have any accent from there but maybe. He looks like he could be from Austrtalia.
The 1/2 ball 3/4 ball hit on the angles is fairly close to his system but involves 11 angles with pictures he wants you to store in your brain so you can recall them later during the shot in play. This is one of the things I find real exciting since my job involoves doing just that. I would really like to hear from others as to their thoughts on the videos too.

Bob_Jewett
11-16-2004, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> My radar is always up, but I still like to hear what someone has to say.... <hr /></blockquote>
Yes, me too, and that's why I asked for some substantive feedback on the content. Unfortunately, the response was not sufficiently detailed to make any sort of comparison with what's available elsewhere. Like, "Capelle says X, but Tim points out that Y is a better way to look at this." There was some brief discussion of Pre-Shot Routine (PSR), which has been covered by others including the chin-lock thing, but there was not enough detail to say that Tim has improved on the standard.

HallofFame
11-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Hi,

Just go to the Inside Pool site, get a user name and you can download ALL the issues; I'm really not sure which issues Tim wrote in but I'll make a guess the 2003 issues??

Good Luck,

Joe

gungadin
11-16-2004, 03:50 PM
As a new person to the forum, I'm a little disappointed that another new person is attacked so quickly. I don't know whether the person has an agenda or not, and in either case it's still up to all of us to make our own decision on whether to pursue the method/product/whatever the person is discussing. The fact is that many people on this board, both newbies and long-term users, push their own agendas or products that they have found useful. I think it's possible that you may be dealing with someone who was excited about this tool and wanted to share it just like others before who were not attacked. The fact that he didn't fill out all his personal info or announce (redundantly, since the system already tells you if you're new)"i'm new" shouldn't mean he can't be enthusiastic about the game. Like I said, I don't know if he had an ulterior motive or not, but if he didn't, you potentially alienated someone who might be a valued member and friend of the group.

HallofFame
11-16-2004, 05:24 PM
HI,

ABSOLUTLY.

Like I said, Tim just connected with him and he wanted to share this new find with everyone else; if he has other motives, so what! There are so many people selling so many systems and so many books it's hard to wade through all this stuff and find one that "clicks" for you.

I hate to say this but I think these people are capitalizing on weaker players and new players who are looking to improve their game, if you peruse all this stuff you'll see that with the exception of some minor issues they are pretty much the same.

However, I find it interesting that none of these people ever have a chapter dealing with weather / table conditions. WHY IS THAT? Don't they think it's important? Is it too advanced for the group they are targeting? Is is simply that they don't know?

Like I said, whatever works best for you.

Joe

woody_968
11-16-2004, 06:23 PM
gungadin,

I hear what you are saying, and I dont want to see new people on the forum "attacked" either, but I didnt see the above posts as an attack. I saw them questioning if the person was or was not connected to the tapes (which was never answered) but it wasnt an attack.

On every post that has to deal with products or service we each have to decide if they would work for us or not, but knowing if the person making the post is or isnt connected with the product makes a big difference on how much merit the review of the product could have.

I personally am always looking for new instructional material that has worked for someone. It may not help my game, but may show me a way to say something differently to help someone elses game.

Almost everyone on these boards are always happy to see new posters, and the oppinions they bring, start posting.

DavidMorris
11-16-2004, 06:45 PM
I understand your point, but I don't think he was attacked either.

As both part of my job AND my hobby, I frequent a lot of internet message boards like this, pool and non-pool related alike, as well as newsgroups. It is quite common for shills or unscrupulous dealers to create a new user account and gush over some "new amazing product I just discovered!" It's against basic netiquette, and said posters tend to get flamed whenever that happens, so in that regard the reaction in this thread has been quite civil.

I'm not saying this is such a case, but it did have that familiar "ring" to it.

JimS
11-17-2004, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr> I understand your point, but I don't think he was attacked either.

As both part of my job AND my hobby, I frequent a lot of internet message boards like this, pool and non-pool related alike, as well as newsgroups. It is quite common for shills or unscrupulous dealers to create a new user account and gush over some "new amazing product I just discovered!" It's against basic netiquette, and said posters tend to get flamed whenever that happens, so in that regard the reaction in this thread has been quite civil.

I'm not saying this is such a case, but it did have that familiar "ring" to it. <hr /></blockquote>

Yep. That's exactly why many on this forum are a little slow to accept things until we get to know othe writer. Kinda like sending out a scout to check on conditions before heading into new territory to gamble with somebody.

Like you I think the "inquiries" checking out this new persons motives were very civil. Jewitt especially was just asking for more specifics about what was so good about the systems used on the DVD's.

Many times, as a novice, when I find some new "secret" that has helped my game I've had problems explaining the new idea or technique because I don't know enough to be able to accurately describe what has been taught and/or what I've learned or experienced. If I had enough knowledge or experience to be able to explain it then I probably wouldn't have needed to learn it from the "new" source that has me excited.

I've learned that if I'm going to espouse something that has worked for me I"d better study it well enough to be able to describe EXACTLY what has been learned and how it changed my game. If I don't then I'll not be taken seriously when I recommend the new thing.

This forum, and others, have helped me become a more anaylitical thinker and that has always been a problem for me as I tend to react emotionally first and then start thinking about it more carefully later...a tendancy that has caused more than one problem in my life! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gungadin
11-17-2004, 07:49 AM
I can understand the sensitivity around guys using the board as their personal ad bulletin. I don't like it too much, either. I agree that I've seen much worse in boards. I for one am all for asking questions; it's one of the best ways to learn. I felt compelled to make a comment because "...I smell a rat /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif" seems less like a question than an accusation. Being new, I'll have to take your word that this wasn't an attack.

dmgwalsh
11-17-2004, 04:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr>

Y

Many times, as a novice, when I find some new "secret" that has helped my game I've had problems explaining the new idea or technique because I don't know enough to be able to accurately describe what has been taught and/or what I've learned or experienced. If I had enough knowledge or experience to be able to explain it then I probably wouldn't have needed to learn it from the "new" source that has me excited.
<hr /></blockquote>

I, too cannot give Mr. Jewitt particulars about the ten dvds. I have them and think they are very good. At times, Tim White beats a point to death, but when you have a varied audience, I guess that comes with the territory.

The production values of the video are top rate. A lot of the material about the stroke and eye patterns, and cue ball control and tangent line are very helpful to a relative newbie like me. (I've had three Scott Lee lessons and I've seen Sailor Stellman from Racine three times, so I'm not completely new). Anyway, whether or not the original poster was affiliated with White and spamming, I think the material is well worth a look see.

catscradle
11-18-2004, 02:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr>
Tim White, isn't he the Australian who used to write for "Inside Pool"
<hr /></blockquote>

Tim White as I understand it, is not an Australian at all. I believe he is an American (but maybe Canadian) who spent some time in Australia and is very fond of it.

Personally, I've been tempted to by his dvd's for years; but just can't believe there what some of the testaments say. Too good to be true as they say.

Fred Agnir
11-18-2004, 04:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr>

Tim White, isn't he the Australian who used to write for "Inside Pool" <hr /></blockquote>Tim White's nickname is The Australian Oyster, but he never struck me as being Australian. Or an Oyster.

Fred

pooltchr
11-19-2004, 07:02 AM
I think Bob's request for more specific information was very much in line. To say something is great, brand new, like nothing else or whatever without backing it up sounds a bit more like a sales pitch rather than informational. I would like to know what is different from the things taught by others like Scott Lee, Randyg, Bob, Capelle, and others. What is it about this product that makes it special?

Just a note here for those who don't know, Tim used to be a BCA instructor until some political differences led him to separate himself from the BCA and out on his own. I have to think that the concepts he teaches aren't all that different, but his way of explaining things might very well be. I'm sure Scott and I teach very similar concepts, but since we are individuals, it would have to be in a different way.

I really would like to know what is "different" about Tim's teachings.
Steve