PDA

View Full Version : Earl Stricklands Open Bridge Break

trailboss
11-16-2004, 01:11 AM
I recently viewed an interview on ESPN in which Earl stated he is now useing the open bridge break! What are the advantages of this? The books state a closed bridge for breaks are better. It seems to be working for Earl. I tried it out but, cannot get enough power behind my stroke with it. I guess I am confused about this!

1Time
11-24-2004, 02:09 AM
I saw this too and wondered what the advantages would be. The first that came to mind is the line of sight from the cue to the one ball would be improved. Another advantage may be an open bridge may help modulate the speed of the break thereby yielding more consistant results.

I use a closed bride when breaking 9-ball and for most other shots. As comfortable as I am shooting with an open bridge, I feel I have more control breaking 9-ball with a closed bridge. However, for one-pocket and straight pool I use an open bridge since it gives me better line of sight and control when breaking slow and easy.

1Time
11-25-2004, 02:14 AM
Well I'm no Earl Strickland but I was practicing 9-ball tonight and thought I'd try out an open bridge break. And to my surprise it worked great! I'm more consistently pocketing 1 or 2 balls with a nice spread and a shot at the one ball. The far corner ball goes in the far corner pocket and the one ball bounces near the far side pocket and toward the front right corner pocket.

I'm right-handed breaking with the right edge of the CB about 3 1/2 inches off the right rail at the head string. I aim somewhat toward the ball behind the one ball with low left English. The low English helps control the cue ball. The left English pushes the CB to the right just enough to affect a solid hit on the one ball. I just like hitting on the side of the cue. It really seems to be a very good break and I recommend 9-ball players at least give it a try.

I've broke 9-ball with a closed bridge for 20+ years and never would have believed an open bridge could work better. I just tried it tonight and I'm very glad I did. I have a new and improved 9-ball break!

rogerb
11-25-2004, 07:32 AM
Well, it may work great, but Earl also mis-cued once during the open using it, how often have you seen Earl do that ?

1Time
11-25-2004, 10:15 AM
That is unusual. I broke with an open bridge several times last night, perhaps 20 racks and had no miscues or problems at all controlling the CB. However, I'm sure if I eventually found I miscued on the break too often or ever at all I'd have to reconsider using a closed bridge. One thing I recall now when using an open bridge is my break speed seems to be just a bit less. It seems with a closed bridge I'm more inclined break harder but at the cost of loosing some accuracy, control, and consistency. But now with an open bridge I've never before experienced a more "text book" and consistent break. It's of course not going to be for everyone but for me it was definitely worth trying. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pied Piper
11-25-2004, 11:46 AM
I have used the open bridge break several times, and have seen some who swear by it. I think it would work for strickland who after striking the cue ball lifts his upper body and the cue stick way off the table after follow through. I saw this in one of my how to pool books, where it was comparing Max Eberle and Earl Strickland's break form. Some like my self will warp the shaft by pressing down on it. Others like my friend and earl, have a serious follow through to the point where they are lifting the cue one handed a full three feet after breaking and even slapping the lights. But that is just my thought

cueball1950
11-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Earl stated during his interview after the match between himsef and rodney morris that he is now using the open bridge cuz he feels that it is giving him better cueball control on the break. he also stated that rodney told him he may start using it...lol......mike

Fleece3
11-26-2004, 08:35 PM
He also stated that he got the idea from watching Johnny Archer use it.