PDA

View Full Version : ACLU at it again

Wally_in_Cincy
11-16-2004, 10:17 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2004-11-15-scouts-pentagon_x.htm

CHICAGO (AP) The Pentagon has agreed to warn military bases worldwide that they should not directly sponsor Boy Scout troops, partially resolving claims that the government has improperly supported a group that requires members to believe in God.

Despite the warning, Boy Scouts will still be able to hold meetings on areas of military bases.

The settlement, announced Monday, came in a 1999 lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois, which says American military units have sponsored hundreds of Boy Scout troops.

"If our Constitution's promise of religious liberty is to be a reality, the government should not be administering religious oaths or discriminating based on religious beliefs," said ACLU attorney Adam Schwartz.

<font color="blue">and the Dems wonder why the ACLU has a bad rep. I don't disagree with everything the ACLU does but I find this distasteful. </font color>

Chopstick
11-16-2004, 11:18 AM
I was in the Scouts. I don't remember the God requirement. Has it always been that way?

highsea
11-16-2004, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I was in the Scouts. I don't remember the God requirement. Has it always been that way? <hr /></blockquote>Well, it's been a while, but when I was a scout, this was the oath: [ QUOTE ]
I promise to do my best;
To do my duty to God and my Country;
To be square, and obey the law of the pack. <hr /></blockquote>Now, that was in the '60's, today they say this: [ QUOTE ]
On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.<hr /></blockquote>
BTW, didn't the ACLU sue to allow gay Scoutmasters?

Wally_in_Cincy
11-16-2004, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> BTW, didn't the ACLU sue to allow gay Scoutmasters? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes. The Boy Scouts prevailed in the Supreme Court because they are a private organization. Consequently many United Way chapters cut off their funding and when the Boy Scouts presented the flag and the Pledge of Allegiance at the 2000 Dem Natl Convention they were booed loudly by several hirsute and malodorous party members, mostly female.

Ross
11-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Logically I understand the ACLU's position, even though I agree it is making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Here is the logic:

An athiest cannot be a Boy Scout (unless he wants to lie).
The government should not endorse, nor taxpayer money support an organization that excludes people based on their religious beliefs (or lack of religious beliefs).

The ACLU has been consistent in fighting for freedom of speech and freedom of religion (or lack of same) throughout it's history. In the course of doing that it takes on a lot of unpopular stances.

Deeman2
11-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Wally,

I used to send these clowns a check every year! I guess the "Independents" have made up the difference in what I used to send.

Deeman
deserted the scouts because they didn't have a merit badge in one pocket!

Wally_in_Cincy
11-16-2004, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Deeman
deserted the scouts because they didn't have a merit badge in one pocket! <hr /></blockquote>

on a lighter note...

my friend bob brought his boy jesse into the Reef Tavern one Saturday afternoon while we were engaged in a rousing game of 3-ball.

as you know, bars are a great place to sell fund-raising stuff.

jesse sold all his boy scout fund-raising m&amp;m's and bob says "son, looks like you earned your tavern badge" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif