PDA

View Full Version : The Best Women's Player, Ever

wolfdancer
11-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Sure, the names, Jean Balukas, or Allison Fisher, might come to mind.....but, can they measure up to these credentials?

Undefeated against female competitors for 25 years..even offering $5,000 to any woman that could beat her in pocket billiards. She toured the continents, America and Europe, getting paid handsomely for appearances, exhibitions, and challenge matches.
Frances Anderson was a self-proclaimed "Champion of the World" 1890's.....and who could argue??
Yet...despite all that she did for Woman's pool...think of all the young girl's that she inspired, that saw her and decided there's more to life, then getting orgasmic over a Swiffer Mop...despite these many accomplishment's...she is not, I repeat, not, in the Woman's Hall of Fame.
It's a similiar situation to that of Pete Rose...one small character flaw...in this case, it was revealed later on in life that her real name was Orie, and she was a he.
It's my belief that if we can amend the constitution, so that Arnold can become President... the power's that be, behind Woman's Pool, can also overlook an equally unfortunate incident of birth
Some context taken from "On the Break"

PQQLK9
11-16-2004, 12:24 PM
http://www.bca-pool.com/industry/hof/wise.jpg
Dorothy Wise
1914 - 1995
Inducted 1981

DOROTHY WISE was born in Spokane, Washington. In her early years, there were very few national tournaments for women. Since she was in many local and state tournaments, she became the self-proclaimed world champion. When BCA staged the first national tournament for women in 1967, she immediately entered. For the next five years, she proved herself most worthy as she won five consecutive U.S. Open titles.

DavidMorris
11-16-2004, 12:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>It's a similiar situation to that of Pete Rose...one small character flaw...in this case, it was revealed later on in life that her real name was Orie, and she was a he.<hr /></blockquote>
While I agree with your principle on the point of discrimination, I still don't understand how a 'he' could ever be considered the "Greatest Woman Player, Ever" when 'he' isn't a woman???

wolfdancer
11-16-2004, 01:01 PM
David, you have to "think outside the box" here...Frances/Orie played as a woman.

DavidMorris
11-16-2004, 01:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> David, you have to "think outside the box" here...Frances/Orie played as a woman. <hr /></blockquote>
LOL, yeah I understand that he played as a woman. It doesn't make him a woman, though. That was my point. How can you award "Greatest Woman Player" title to a guy, regardless of his pretending to be woman? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

wolfdancer
11-16-2004, 01:47 PM
I think I've seen some photos of her playing at the Palace Billiards in SF..Robert Byrne may have written about her

SpiderMan
11-16-2004, 02:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> David, you have to "think outside the box" here...Frances/Orie played as a woman. <hr /></blockquote>

But if that precendent is set, then a number of top male pros would have the option of putting on a skirt and getting into the hall of fame as the "best woman player, ever"! What would we do for "real" women?

SpiderMan (likes his women with "X" chromosomes, shuddering at the thought of Efren Reyes in an evening gown)

Rod
11-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Aside from the woman pool player? There was a woman in the Civil War dressed as a man. I don't remember the whole story but I guess it wasn't known until much later.

What does this have to do with your post? Well nothing. lol

Rod

wolfdancer
11-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Frances may have had Klinefelter's syndrome, which would have meant one or two extra x chromosomes, instead of the normal xy pair for a male.

woody_968
11-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Ill put on a skirt if it means I can play on the womens tour /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh crap! I just remembered, I cant beat them either /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara
11-16-2004, 10:38 PM
Oooh... Wasn't there a "female" Olympic runner disqualified for having and extra "Y" chromosome back in the 60's or the 72 Olympics? Shoot, I can't remember the name.

Yeah, they used to do chromosome tests on athletes. Does this get supeceded with doping tests now?

Barbara

landshark77
11-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Let's step it up a notch here....what if there was a man who got a sex change or was in the process of getting one, whould he/she qualify???

My guess is Orie did not have this option at the time.

Brick_Top
11-18-2004, 09:59 AM
Wow, this thread got hijacked pretty fast.

Anyway, Jean Balukas is #1 hands down. She outplays and outclasses them all.