PDA

View Full Version : Cue maker question

Popcorn
11-16-2004, 01:10 PM
I don't build that many cues maybe 30 a year, it's just a hobby. In the past I have bought a lot of materials at one time and haven't had to think about buying any in a while. I will be needing birds eye maple some time soon and was wondering if anyone has a good source. The guy I bought from last isn't around anymore. You can also PM me if you don't want to be posting sources.
Thanks

christinajane
11-16-2004, 01:23 PM
Not sure what you really need as far as stock to make cues vs. woodworking, but Curtis Lumber in Ballston Spa, NY has an amazing selection of domestic and exotic hardwoods.

Go to www.curiouswoods.com (http://www.curiouswoods.com) to check them out.

mtuckeriii
11-18-2004, 05:20 AM
I like either Birdseye Creations or Bell Forrest Products. They cost a little bit more but the quality has been worth it.

Popcorn
11-18-2004, 07:42 AM
Thank you , several people suggested Bell forest. I was looking at their web site and gave them a call. I think I will order some from them today. Birdseye Creations looks good also. They have what looks like some real nice stuff. I just haven't bought any in a while. I had bought out a wood turners shop a few years back and had a room full of wood including a lot of really nice 6/4 Birds eye lumber. I got quite a few very nice PM's from cuemakers who I have never seen post on here, people here may be surprised who is reading. thought I read you were quitting cue making on an other board some time back, are you still building cues?

mtuckeriii
11-18-2004, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thought I read you were quitting cue making on an other board some time back, are you still building cues? <hr /></blockquote>

Well..........................quite frankly I don't know what the hell I am doing. I still have orders left to fill so I am still behind the lathe doing some work. I don't want to do any more custom work but I don't know that I can give up the smell of sawdust either. I might continue to crank out three or four cues a year. I'll just have to see how I feel when I get my backlog caught up.

Popcorn
11-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Don't take orders, just build cues of your own design in your own time and offer them for sale, it is a much nicer way to work. If you don't feel like working for a while it is no bodies business and you don't have to be ducking calls or making excuses.