PDA

View Full Version : Washington State Governor race

highsea
11-16-2004, 04:04 PM
We Washingtonians still don't know who our next Governor will be. The official certification deadline is tomorrow, but it looks like we'll get a mandatory recount. We may not have a winner until around Thanksgiving.

The Dem candidate, our former Atty. General has been behind for about a week now, by a margin of almost 3000 votes. But yesterday, King County, (Seattle) which heavily favors the Democrats, sprang a big surprise. They announced that they "found" an additional 10,000 absentee ballots! This put the Dems in the lead by 158 votes, as it stands right now.

Also, we have some irregularities in our provisional ballots. It seems that about 800 provisionals from King County were rejected due to signature or identity problems. On Friday, the election dept. handed over the list to the Dem committee, who sent volunteers around over the weekend with afidavits for these voters. They were required to get a signature on a registration form and on a ballot, then they were allowed to turn these in for counting. The voter was not required to present himself for identification. Of the 800 ballots, 400 were returned today and the last 200 are supposed to come in tomorrow. I don't know what happened to the other 200, maybe they were republicans.

This is starting to look like the Gorton/Cantwell Senate race a few years back, when Cantwell got the same last-second surprise boost from previously unknown absentee ballots.

Something stinks in King County.

wolfdancer
11-16-2004, 04:44 PM
We're almost as bad as Fla. How do you lose 10k votes?

UWPoolGod
11-17-2004, 10:53 AM
I see its like 19 votes apart right now...with about 6000 votes to count in 4 counties that were also split 2 for each candidate. Crazy.

highsea
11-25-2004, 11:26 PM
Well, the republican candidate apparently has won by 42 votes after the second recount.

But not so fast Abernathy....the Dems aren't conceding, and a third recount is inevitable.

So Washington State voters STILL don't know who will be the next Governor!

Arrrrrgh!

Barbara
11-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Wow! I think we have "the next Florida"!!!

Barbara

highsea
11-26-2004, 09:58 AM
I should have said the second count, not "recount". I think our state only permits 2 recounts. The loser pays for the second recount if they challenge. It will cost about $750,000 to to a hand recount. The Dems will only want to recount the counties that they won, of course. But the rule is that if that recount changes the outcome, then the entire state gets recounted again...

From the Seattle PI:
[ QUOTE ]
After hundreds of unreadable ballots were enhanced, torn ones replaced and nearly 3 million others recounted, Republican Dino Rossi again bested Democrat Christine Gregoire in the race for governor -- by 42 votes.<hr /></blockquote>
I wonder what they mean by "enhancing" the ballots?

wolfdancer
11-26-2004, 10:47 AM
They're going to impose some a new rule for the next election, to prevent this from recurring:
one Republican = one vote

highsea
11-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Jack, when the democratic cavassers went around with the list of 800 rejected provisional ballots in King County, this is how they handled it--They knocked on the person's door, and asked them who they supported. If the person said Gregoire, they continued and got new signatures on the registration form and a new provisional. If the person answered Rossi, the canvassers told them to have a nice day and went to the next person on the list. This is not an exageration, the democratic party spokesman admitted this to the PI.

Is this is what they meant by "making sure every vote counts"? /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

wolfdancer
11-26-2004, 11:41 AM
"If the person answered Rossi, the canvassers told them to have a nice day...."
we're learning...about time we picked up a trick or two from the other side
At least we wished them well...imagine if it were the other way around....

highsea
11-26-2004, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>...imagine if it were the other way around<hr /></blockquote>Yes, the Rep's probably would have done the same thing. What annoyed me was that the election commission gave the list to the Dems but not the Reps. So there are 200 Rep votes in King county that did not get counted, and now we have only a 42 vote margin.

The dems will not want to fund a statewide hand count, but you can be sure they will fund King, Snohomish, and Thurston counties. If this turns around the results, the taxpayer has to pay for the statewide recount.

Reed said he will certify Rossi as the winner on Tuesday, but that won't mean anything until another recount is completed. Maybe we should just say hell with it and leave the governor's office locked until the next elections.

Ross
11-26-2004, 12:29 PM
How f'ing hard is it for our country to come up with a reliable way to count votes? This is rediculous.

After the 2000 fiasco, I read about an inventor who had designed a pretty unambiguous and "checkable" way of voting. The ballots had stickers on them with the candidates names. To vote all you had to do was remove the stickers for the candidates you wanted. This revealed a prepunched whole that was under the sticker. The voting cards were then optically scanned. The voter put the stickers in another voting box - these were kept as a backup method to check the vote count.

No hanging chads, stray pencil marks, butterfly ballots, etc. And apparently, according to the inventor, ballots were not that expensive to make this way. I don't know if that is true, but we need to do something. It isn't rocket science...sheesh...

highsea
11-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Hell Ross, we're still using butterfly ballots. So we had a rehash of the hanging chad debate from 2000! Gimme a break.

One thing that needs to be standardized is a "no vote" choice. There are times that I do not want to cast a vote, such as unopposed candidates that I would normally vote against, or issues that I don't feel I should have a say in, like property tax increases to fund school levies. Since I don't own real estate or have kids in school, I leave those decisions to the people that are affected.

But there is no standard way for that choice to be recognized. When the election results get tallied in close races, the parties start arguing how I "meant" to vote based on the rest of my votes. As if I can not make up my own mind or work a ballot machine... /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

highsea
12-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Okay, the dems fronted about $750,000.00 for a hand recount. They stayed behind in the hand count (actually lost a little ground), until King County sprang another surprise by "discovering" another 500+ absentee ballots with signature problems. It ended up in court. The first court decision disallowed these ballots in the recount as per state law (they were not included in the previous counts, so the law excludes them from recounts). The dems appealed, and apparently the Supreme Court has overturned the lower court's ruling.

The initial reports of the hand count (including this last round of newly discovered absentee ballots) are that the dems won by 8 votes. If it stands up, the State will have to return the $750,000 to the democratic party coffers.

They had to "find" over 11,000 ballots, and the Supreme Court had to rewrite the law, but they will get their way... /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Barbara
12-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Damn....!

Barbara

eg8r
12-22-2004, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The dems appealed, and apparently the Supreme Court has overturned the lower court's ruling.
<hr /></blockquote> I guess the Supreme Court stole the election. That is how the dems viewed Florida.

eg8r