PDA

View Full Version : That moose may soon be just a mouse click away

Qtec
11-17-2004, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Internet hunting idea has wildlife officials up in arms

HOUSTON, Texas (Reuters) -- Hunters soon may be able to sit at their computers and blast away at animals on a Texas ranch via the Internet, a prospect that has state wildlife officials up in arms.

The Web site already offers target practice with a .22 caliber rifle and could soon let hunters shoot at deer, antelope and wild pigs, site creator John Underwood said on Tuesday.

Texas officials are not quite sure what to make of Underwood's Web site, but may tweak existing laws to make sure Internet hunting does not get out of hand.

"This is the first one I've seen," said Texas Parks and Wildlife Department wildlife director Mike Berger. "The current state statutes don't cover this sort of thing."

Underwood, an estimator for a San Antonio, Texas auto body shop, has invested $10,000 to build a platform for a rifle and camera that can be remotely aimed on his 330-acre (133-hectare) southwest Texas ranch by anyone on the Internet anywhere in the world.

The idea came last year while viewing another Web site on which cameras posted in the wild are used to snap photos of animals.

"We were looking at a beautiful white-tail buck and my friend said 'If you just had a gun for that.' A little light bulb went off in my head," he said.<hr /></blockquote>

Unbelieveable!

Q

hondo
11-17-2004, 07:42 AM
Well, pardner, you just don't understand the thrill
of puttin a plug in Bambi. YEE HAW.

highsea
11-17-2004, 03:49 PM
That's cool! We should set up a few of those in Iraq.

wolfdancer
11-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Iraq, hell...I jes want to get me some a dem "bigfoots" I keep hearing 'bout up here. Stopped at the Chamber of commerce the other day,and after the nice lady there gave me the "tour" it seems I'm the only one ain't had a sighting, or knows somebody who has....

SPetty
11-17-2004, 04:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>The Web site already offers target practice with a .22 caliber rifle and could soon let hunters shoot at deer, antelope and wild pigs, site creator John Underwood said on Tuesday.<hr /></blockquote>
http://www.live-shot.com/

I don't like it.

There ain't no moose in Texas.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote The rest of the story:</font><hr>Internet hunting could be popular with disabled hunters unable to get out in the woods or distant hunters who cannot afford a trip to Texas, Underwood said.

Berger said state law only covers "regulated animals" such as native deer and birds and cannot prevent Underwood from offering internet hunts of "unregulated" animals such as non-native deer that many ranchers have imported and wild pigs.

He has proposed a rule that will come up for public discussion in January that anyone hunting animals covered by state law must be physically on site when they shoot.

Berger expressed reservations about remote control hunting, but noted that humans have always adopted new technologies to hunt.

"First it was rocks and clubs, then we sharpened it and put it on a stick. Then there was the bow and arrow, black powder, smokeless power and optics," Berger said. "Maybe this is the next technological step out there."

Underwood, 39, said he will offer animal hunting as soon as he gets a fast internet connection to his remote ranch that will enable hunters to aim the rifle quickly at passing animals.

He said an attendant would retrieve shot animals for the shooters, who could have the heads preserved by a taxidermist. They could also have the meat processed and shipped home, or donated to animal orphanages.<hr /></blockquote>

wolfdancer
11-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Is this really hunting though?
Awhile back I was watching an outdoors show on tv, about deer hunting. The guy had spread deer scent all around, and was sitting camaflaged in a deer blind,in a tree...he had the high-powered, scoped rifle, and a deer call
....anyway, that's how "Real Men" hunt deer, not this girlie man, internet thing

Wally_in_Cincy
11-18-2004, 06:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> ...I was watching an outdoors show on tv, about deer hunting. The guy had spread deer scent all around, and was sitting camaflaged in a deer blind,in a tree...he had the high-powered, scoped rifle, and a deer call
.... <hr /></blockquote>

John "Big Bwana" Kerry says he crawls thru the underbrush when he hunts deer. He just can't understand why he never sees any out there.

nhp
11-18-2004, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Is this really hunting though?
Awhile back I was watching an outdoors show on tv, about deer hunting. The guy had spread deer scent all around, and was sitting camaflaged in a deer blind,in a tree...he had the high-powered, scoped rifle, and a deer call
....anyway, that's how "Real Men" hunt deer, not this girlie man, internet thing <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah cuz most of them deer, man they are evil. One time I saw this deer, and I knew it had weapons of mass destruction, cuz I had overwhelming evidence that it did. So I shot it and killed it, good thing I did, phew. So anyways, after I killed the deer, I was searchin it for other evil stuff, and it had like some tattoes on it that said stuff like "death to america" and "kill all humans" so that was pretty much my smoking gun. I might have saved the world, who knows.

hondo
11-18-2004, 08:37 AM
If you lived in West Virginia you'd think they're evil.
They're thick as mice. Trying to drive to work is
like running the gauntlet. Kill the infidels! ( deer
steak is delicious).

quote=nhp] <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Is this really hunting though?
....anyway, that's how "Real Men" hunt deer, not this girlie man, internet thing <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah cuz most of them deer, man they are evil. One time I saw this deer, and I knew it had weapons of mass destruction, cuz I had overwhelming evidence that it did. So I shot it and killed it, good thing I did, phew. So anyways, after I killed the deer, I was searchin it for other evil stuff, and it had like some tattoes on it that said stuff like "death to america" and "kill all humans" so that was pretty much my smoking gun. I might have saved the world, who knows. <hr /></blockquote>

Qtec
11-18-2004, 11:08 AM
I,m with you my friend. We ought to smoke every living thing that is not directly involved with getting GW or his lckey from being re-elected.
If it moves, shoot it. Thats the way to go.

Take no chances.

Q

wolfdancer
11-18-2004, 12:53 PM
lol!!! "Brilliant"

wolfdancer
11-18-2004, 12:57 PM
"Bwana"??? Wally, you been watching too many Tarzan movies...don't you know they are now considered politically incorrect?

Wally_in_Cincy
11-18-2004, 02:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> "Bwana"??? Wally, you been watching too many Tarzan movies...don't you know they are now considered politically incorrect? <hr /></blockquote>

Like I would care about being PC? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote John Kerry:</font><hr>I only shoot free-range deer <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif